Author Topic: beginner looking for first drumset. DM8 usb kit, dm8 pro kit, or DM10 studio kit  (Read 20586 times)

Offline j_t

Thanks guys! I understand what you mean, I will just stick with the way the drum set is and learn my basic before I expand :D...

Offline drumday

Gotta post pics when you get it.  That's the rule.   ;)

I'll get around to posting mine when the clutter in the background isn't an eye sore distraction.
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline j_t

lol will do!!! and good news too!!!! They are having a $100 instant rebate starting june 1st to the 16th yah! saved a $100!!

Gotta post pics when you get it.  That's the rule.   ;)

I'll get around to posting mine when the clutter in the background isn't an eye sore distraction.

Offline j_t

yah order placed!!! Even got me a drum throne :D... I really hope it all turns well

Offline pbear5

j_t--you just saved me $100 too!!  even though i pre-ordered in March ZZounds.com honored their 30 day price guarantee because my kit didn't ship until 5/4.  if you need any other tips i certainly owe you.  let's see know, what might i want to do with that $100... ;D

Offline j_t

;D thats awesome!!! Good to know my info on the instant rebate helped!! Now I have to be patient for the next 3 days for my set to arrive  :o

j_t--you just saved me $100 too!!  even though i pre-ordered in March ZZounds.com honored their 30 day price guarantee because my kit didn't ship until 5/4.  if you need any other tips i certainly owe you.  let's see know, what might i want to do with that $100... ;D

Offline pbear5

you can spend the time reading the manual for the module:  hhttp://alesis.com/dm8prokit under Docs & Downloads

that way you know the ins&outs and you can get right down to business.

the one thing that i wasn't really comfortable with when i got my kit was tensioning the heads.  the setup guide says "Before playing on the drum pads tighten each tension rod at least one half-turn with the drum key.  If the heads are too loose, heavy playing could potentially damage the trigger."  i did this and found that some lugs/rods still felt loose so i just ended up using my own best-guess-judgement to tension the heads.  because there is a silencing baffle surface under the head i couldn't really press on the head to feel if the head was too loose.  no problems so far so, barring feedback to the contrary, i would say go ahead with the 1/2 turn but feel for a consistent resistance between the different lugs to ensure good tension.

this is a kick-ass kit and you are going to love it.  once you have it set up might i suggest that you go straight to Kit 019 "Rocker Jam" which has a great sounding kit plus random guitar chord blasts on the kick and floor tom to get you excited about what you have gotten yourself into.

as i said, the out-of-the-box trigger settings are pretty good on the module so just start playing and having a good time--plenty of time to work out the details as you go.

i am going to dial up 019 and have a go right now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:21:46 PM by pbear5 »

Offline j_t

Thanks for the tips!!!!!! I will definitely take a look at that now. I have no clue how to adjust drum heads but I will give it my best by following the manual lol.... I just bought my drum pedal, I played around with some at the store and found a almost new but used double bass pedal by pearl for $100 that cost like $200 new, I love how it felt and I had to have it so I bought it :D... I tried a lot of the cheaper ones but weight and feedback felt horrible.. Will I be able to hook this kit up to my guitar or bass amp until I get some decent headphones?

you can spend the time reading the manual for the module:  hhttp://alesis.com/dm8prokit under Docs & Downloads

that way you know the ins&outs and you can get right down to business.

the one thing that i wasn't really comfortable with when i got my kit was tensioning the heads.  the setup guide says "Before playing on the drum pads tighten each tension rod at least one half-turn with the drum key.  If the heads are too loose, heavy playing could potentially damage the trigger."  i did this and found that some lugs/rods still felt loose so i just ended up using my own best-guess-judgement to tension the heads.  because there is a silencing baffle surface under the head i couldn't really press on the head to feel if the head was too loose.  no problems so far so, barring feedback to the contrary, i would say go ahead with the 1/2 turn but feel for a consistent resistance between the different lugs to ensure good tension.

this is a kick-ass kit and you are going to love it.  once you have it set up might i suggest that you go straight to Kit 019 "Rocker Jam" which has a great sounding kit plus random guitar chord blasts on the kick and floor tom to get you excited about what you have gotten yourself into.

as i said, the out-of-the-box trigger settings are pretty good on the module so just start playing and having a good time--plenty of time to work out the details as you go.

i am going to dial up 019 and have a go right now.

Offline pbear5

if your guitar or bass amps have an aux/cd/ipod-type input on them plug in your player of choice and see how it sounds. 

if they are just straight guitar or bass amps they most likely won't sound very good--again, plug in your mp3 player and check it out.  most guitar and bass amps don't have high frequency drivers so your cymbals won't sound good.  be careful of your input level.  if either has an effects loop using the effects return would be your best bet but start with very low output from the player and then drum module and work it up gradually.

if you have some computer speakers with a sub-woofer those might be a better choice just keep the levels low-ish and, if it sounds like they are being overworked, they probably are.

Offline j_t

My guitar amp does have an effects loop, its a tube amp not sure if that would help with the cymbal hits. but I will plug in something to see how it sounds.

if your guitar or bass amps have an aux/cd/ipod-type input on them plug in your player of choice and see how it sounds. 

if they are just straight guitar or bass amps they most likely won't sound very good--again, plug in your mp3 player and check it out.  most guitar and bass amps don't have high frequency drivers so your cymbals won't sound good.  be careful of your input level.  if either has an effects loop using the effects return would be your best bet but start with very low output from the player and then drum module and work it up gradually.

if you have some computer speakers with a sub-woofer those might be a better choice just keep the levels low-ish and, if it sounds like they are being overworked, they probably are.

Offline j_t

will the dm5 cymbals work on this kit?

Offline j_t

Update on my drum set..... Ok well.... I know you all told me to wait on expanding.... well my stubbornness kicked in into over drive.... I got a 10" pintech snare for $40 so that I could have an extra tom on the rack.... and I bought two dm5 cymbals for $70 with all hardware and cable etc......My drum set will be in on the 8th, My double bass pedal will be in on the 9th, and my snare and two cymbals should be in by the 10th.... I am so excited!!!!!!!!!! Pbear I am going to need some help knowing how to connect the extra two cymbals and snare lol... I have no clue what I got myself into.. I am just hoping the snare and cymbals I got will work with this kit.. What size sticks do you guys recommend? I don't want to cause any damage to them by using something too aggressive...

Offline drumday

Don't worry about the depth of the water; the temperature is fine!

I use 5A on this kit.  Lighter than I use on acoustic.  Nylon tip, altho I use wood on acoustic.

While you wait for all this stuff, if you haven't done so, print yourself a copy of the manual from Alesis' web site & read, read, read.  Everybody misses something that's in the manual, but the more you read, the more familiar you'll become with the concepts & terms and the more useful your inevitable questions will be to those that are more than happy to lend a hand.

Every day I like it more.
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline pbear5

i am using 5a's as well ;)  the kit comes with a cheap pair of sticks but i would recommend chucking them because they are unfinished and leave a bunch of dust on the cymbals if you use them--brand new kit you won't like that.

there are a couple of options for cables to get your expansion stuff working but what you essentially need is some way to go from a stereo jack at the module to 2 mono plugs--one each at the pad.  make sure you pick up or have one of those 1/4"-1/8" headphone adapters (they usually come free with ipod-like headphones) to disable the 3-zone feature of the Ride.

Offline j_t

Awesome, I already have a headphone adapter, do I need just one? What does the other cable look like?

i am using 5a's as well ;)  the kit comes with a cheap pair of sticks but i would recommend chucking them because they are unfinished and leave a bunch of dust on the cymbals if you use them--brand new kit you won't like that.

there are a couple of options for cables to get your expansion stuff working but what you essentially need is some way to go from a stereo jack at the module to 2 mono plugs--one each at the pad.  make sure you pick up or have one of those 1/4"-1/8" headphone adapters (they usually come free with ipod-like headphones) to disable the 3-zone feature of the Ride.

Offline pbear5

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hosa-Stereo-1-4--Phone-to-2---Mono-1-4--Phone-Insert-Cable-333030-i1128922.gc

this is a good way to go.  you will have to separate the Tip and Sleeve plugs--just tear the cable along the seam--so you can reach the different pads.

Awesome, I already have a headphone adapter, do I need just one? What does the other cable look like?

Offline j_t

Thanks! I will pick these up, Do I need just one?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hosa-Stereo-1-4--Phone-to-2---Mono-1-4--Phone-Insert-Cable-333030-i1128922.gc

this is a good way to go.  you will have to separate the Tip and Sleeve plugs--just tear the cable along the seam--so you can reach the different pads.

Offline pbear5

you will need two of the cables--you will have one unused plug for future expansion.

forgot to mention that i like nylon tipped sticks.

Offline j_t

Thanks for all the help Pbear! My set should be coming in tomorrow or Wed

you will need two of the cables--you will have one unused plug for future expansion.

forgot to mention that i like nylon tipped sticks.

Offline j_t

lol I double checked and they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow night!!! yay! I'll be posting up pics as soon as I get them in  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:25:00 PM by j_t »

Offline pbear5

well j_t, you made it to the weekend and hopefully you are having too much fun with the dm8 Pro to spend time posting.  i know that you were going for a setup similar to mine--i'll check in to see if you need any help.

Offline j_t

Hey Pbear!!!!! I have been playing them I must say they are incredible!!!!! I just have some minor things that may need to be adjusted..

I am having trouble with the bass drum, when I put my amp at about medium volume I have trouble hearing the bass drum because the noise the pedal makes when hitting the trigger itself, is this normal? The bass sounds a little weird to me is this because I am running my setup through a tube amp? it's a peavey valveking 112?

Also when I hit my side tom is has to be hit directly in the middle for it to trigger well is there a way for me to adjust this? so that maybe I can hit the edges a bit more?

I was able to hook up the two extra cymbals and they work great but I don't know if I hooked them up correctly. I hooked up one cymbal to the 10 perc on the back of the module and the other to the one on top of it called 9ride2/perc1 is this correct?

Here is the pic of the setup to far

well j_t, you made it to the weekend and hopefully you are having too much fun with the dm8 Pro to spend time posting.  i know that you were going for a setup similar to mine--i'll check in to see if you need any help.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:58:14 PM by j_t »

Offline pbear5

hey, looks great! 

couple things: as far as the kick goes, it is a little loud but the fact that you have it on a tile floor and right against a wall probably isn't helping any.  try placing it on a rug like a bath matt and maybe put a pillow between the wall and the kick pedal and see if that helps--if it does you can come up with something a little more metal (pink bath matt and a pillow that says Home Sweet Home) but this is a good test.  when i play through my studio monitors (with subwoofer) i can still hear the actual kick pedal but i can definitely hear the sample on top of it--mine is just on thick carpet and it's against the wall with no pillow.  if you still can't live with it you could do the mesh transformation a la Hellfire which looks pretty easy (amazing video instructions too.)

i wouldn't judge the sound of anything coming out of the guitar amp--guitar amps are aimed at mid frequencies so high and low won't sound great.

it sounds like the side tom might need a tension adjustment--tricky as i mentioned before--because it should play exactly like your snare (same exact pad.)  otherwise you may just need to adjust the sensitivity but, from what you describe, i am leaning towards tension because properly adjusted these pads are remarkably free of a Hot Spot of sensitivity over the center of the pad.

as far as the auxiliary pad connections it doesn't really matter which ones go where so you should be fine.  these inputs can be split to accept up to 4 single-zone triggers or combinations of single and double.  if you aren't going to add the 10" snare that you bought you could put the two cymbals into the 10 input and the extra output of the Ride into 9Ride2 to get the ride edge sound.  i happen to have my two cymbals on a Y cable going into input 10 and my splash pad and Tom 3 going into Input 9--again, doesn't really matter once you assign the correct sounds.

Offline j_t

ahhh that makes sense, I'll have to find a way to get this to sound better. I will try what you recommended but so far I am happy with it. I am going to be adding one more tom and one more cymbal and I'll be happy with that for now just have to find the splitter, but how do I connect a male to male connector?

hey, looks great! 

couple things: as far as the kick goes, it is a little loud but the fact that you have it on a tile floor and right against a wall probably isn't helping any.  try placing it on a rug like a bath matt and maybe put a pillow between the wall and the kick pedal and see if that helps--if it does you can come up with something a little more metal (pink bath matt and a pillow that says Home Sweet Home) but this is a good test.  when i play through my studio monitors (with subwoofer) i can still hear the actual kick pedal but i can definitely hear the sample on top of it--mine is just on thick carpet and it's against the wall with no pillow.  if you still can't live with it you could do the mesh transformation a la Hellfire which looks pretty easy (amazing video instructions too.)

i wouldn't judge the sound of anything coming out of the guitar amp--guitar amps are aimed at mid frequencies so high and low won't sound great.

it sounds like the side tom might need a tension adjustment--tricky as i mentioned before--because it should play exactly like your snare (same exact pad.)  otherwise you may just need to adjust the sensitivity but, from what you describe, i am leaning towards tension because properly adjusted these pads are remarkably free of a Hot Spot of sensitivity over the center of the pad.

as far as the auxiliary pad connections it doesn't really matter which ones go where so you should be fine.  these inputs can be split to accept up to 4 single-zone triggers or combinations of single and double.  if you aren't going to add the 10" snare that you bought you could put the two cymbals into the 10 input and the extra output of the Ride into 9Ride2 to get the ride edge sound.  i happen to have my two cymbals on a Y cable going into input 10 and my splash pad and Tom 3 going into Input 9--again, doesn't really matter once you assign the correct sounds.

Offline pbear5

if you are talking about the splitter that i linked to earlier i have the same one and i just go directly from the module to each pad--it's 3 meters long so there is plenty of cable there.  you have to split the cable down the center seam--make sure the cable that you buy doesn't have a feature that prevents this but most don't--to get enough cable to go to each pad.  if you would prefer to use individual cables you could get a very short Insert "Y" cable that has a stereo male and two mono females.  it's usually cheaper to go the most direct route.