Author Topic: DM10 MKii Pro DIY HiHat pedal  (Read 1599 times)

DM10 MKii Pro DIY HiHat pedal
« on: January 19, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
The so called RealHat Open/Close sucks. My 7 year old couldn't stand using it. That's what I had to use with the MKii Pro. It came with a Surge Mesh kit.
I bought a ludwig HiHat stand and placed a momentary switch underneath the pedal. This works great for just open and close. I'm planning on using a slide pot with this setup. I was experimenting with 5k resistors and found many different hihat postitions from 1K to 45K. So this module is variable. I ordered a 50K 60mm slide. I'll 3D print a box for it and the panel jack to mount on the stand right above the pedal like the PinTech design. Wish I had a scope to view the signal. For now just an ohm meter will have to do. If it works well, I post some photos and a video. If anyone has tips about how to do please comment.

Re: DM10 MKii Pro DIY HiHat pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 04:30:34 PM »
Well, the open doesn't start until about 10K. That's almost half on the slide. I tried adding a couple 5K resistors and that seemed to be about right. So 10K to 60K. But I don't get the splash. That might not be high enough. Maybe this should be a 75K or 100k pot?

Can someone measure the pedal? I don't have one. I'm thinking the open resistance isn't high enough to enable a splash.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 02:12:08 AM »
Well, the open doesn't start until about 10K. That's almost half on the slide. I tried adding a couple 5K resistors and that seemed to be about right. So 10K to 60K. But I don't get the splash. That might not be high enough. Maybe this should be a 75K or 100k pot?

Can someone measure the pedal? I don't have one. I'm thinking the open resistance isn't high enough to enable a splash.

Here's some recycled info: https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7589.msg50842#msg50842
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:23:54 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »
Thanks. But I was looking for more technical info about the circuits. I noticed that they said the Strike Pro X Hat uses an FSR. Thought people had been down that road already and had issues. Wait, the Strike Pro HiHat does have issues! LOL!

I have a 100k slide coming some & micro switches. If the 100K slide doesn't splash then I'll use a slide switch combo. I started designing the housing for the parts that mounts to the base of the stand. https://www.tinkercad.com/things/4EHl3I8kziO

I'm printing one tonight to see how it fits. 10hr print. I know slide pots wear out, but they are only $2 to replace. Many people have used the Goedrum slide pot on the Strike Pro. It's 20K. The DM10 MKii Pro (NOT DM10 or DM10 MKii Studio) needs more than 50K or 50k and a switch to trigger a splash. Full open to close to full open rapidly is what triggers it. A switch could do this and reliable vs a slide pot only. No more missed closed / full open from a dirty slide pot. I think you can have some wiggle room for half open as to how  far it's open.

Another way might be to use a soft pot with a roller wheel on the stand. same as using the Alesis pedal, but you get a real stand. Eh, maybe. Dirt issues.

Best I can think of so far is an encoder strip with light sensor plus an adrino. More complicated and requires some programming plus external power. But it would work ALL the time and perfect. I'll do this next if the simple pot doesn't work out.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »
The DM10 MKii Pro is definitely a 100K pot. I was able to do open/close/ various half opens, chick and splash.  Only problem is that I used a 60mm slide. That's too much for your foot to deal with. I need to try 45mm and 30mm. More money wasted. Maybe I can sell the extra parts on fleabay.

I don't see a need for another 10k pot for adjustments. Just move the box up or down on the shaft for adjustments. I used a part from a hobby shop for the rod. Then set the sensitivity in the module. The splash is the hardest to hit. I think a shorter pot will help with that. As it is now, it's playable. Better than that pedal from alesis. Kinda nice to feel the hat hits in the pedal.

Making progress.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
Here are the pics of my working controller and mount.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »
At the choke I made a Roland style adapter that's flat on the bottom. I also made an adapter that has a flat top that slides over the standard lower cymbal mount. A felt washer is placed here to provide cushion for pedal down and silence the noise. The box is 3D printed and has a 100k 30mm slide mounted in it with a TS panel jack. The box clamps to the 3/4" stand shaft. A control rod from a local hobby shop is attached to the slide by drilling a small hole in the lever. The other end is clamped to a electrical eyelet then bolted with the stand's hat control rod. No mods needed to the stand.

Here's the test video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANzPyTt0dM