Author Topic: DM10 Mesh Too Loud Acoustically  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Mr.J.

DM10 Mesh Too Loud Acoustically
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
Hello Gang

I have a DM10 X Mesh kit.

Does anyone have a way to quiet down the acoustic sounds? It’s not too bad on the rack toms but the floor toms are driving me crazy.

To clarify. By acoustic sounds I mean, if you were to turn the unit off and then strike any tom there’s still a hollow acoustic sound. That’s the acoustics of the mesh head resonating inside the drum shell.

On the rack toms, which of course are smaller so to have less resonation is expected, can be drowned out with a little extra volume on either the amp or the headphones, but I am learning to play the drum solo from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida  and there’s a ton of floor tom playing and the acoustic sounds from the floor toms is unpleasant to put it mildly.

I’ve been considering stuffing the shells with foam or other material to fil the voids thus reducing/eliminating the empty space with the hopes that works. But before I go ahead and try anything I thought it would be very wise to ask the gurus who spread their wisdom among us.

So to wrap it up, what’s the trick to quieting down the kit? I hope this question is clear, is to me but I am writing it.

Thanks and I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts.

P.S. I did a search to try and find any threads that already addressed this but wasn’t able to locate exactly what I was looking for so advance apology if I am duplicating my question.

Mr.J.

Online AlanK

Re: DM10 Mesh Too Loud Acoustically
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
Just as a quick response, what about tightening or loosening the mesh head? Mine are pretty tight and you do hear a bit of a snap with each hit...maybe looser will take some of the bang out of it? Playability will change though of course
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »
Hello Gang

I have a DM10 X Mesh kit.

Does anyone have a way to quiet down the acoustic sounds? It’s not too bad on the rack toms but the floor toms are driving me crazy.

To clarify. By acoustic sounds I mean, if you were to turn the unit off and then strike any tom there’s still a hollow acoustic sound. That’s the acoustics of the mesh head resonating inside the drum shell.

On the rack toms, which of course are smaller so to have less resonation is expected, can be drowned out with a little extra volume on either the amp or the headphones, but I am learning to play the drum solo from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida  and there’s a ton of floor tom playing and the acoustic sounds from the floor toms is unpleasant to put it mildly.

I’ve been considering stuffing the shells with foam or other material to fil the voids thus reducing/eliminating the empty space with the hopes that works. But before I go ahead and try anything I thought it would be very wise to ask the gurus who spread their wisdom among us.

So to wrap it up, what’s the trick to quieting down the kit? I hope this question is clear, is to me but I am writing it.

Thanks and I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts.

P.S. I did a search to try and find any threads that already addressed this but wasn’t able to locate exactly what I was looking for so advance apology if I am duplicating my question.

Mr.J.

Alan hit the nail on the head. The only other thing I might recommend is a plastic or nylon drumstick tip.
Always thinking outside the | box |

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
Nylon tip sticks had zero results.

However tightening the skins sure did make a noticeable difference, definitely reduced the echo.

What about changing from mesh to other types of skins?

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »
So the other day I was in my local music shop. And like we all do I played on some of the display models of other e-kits.

All of the other brands that were mesh kits all had the same hollow sound to the larger drums, except for one. I do not recall the exact model but it was a Roland and the floor tom was exceptionally quiet.

The reason? It was the only drum that had an opening on the bottom. All others, just like the Alesis, had solid shells. That must be the reason for this hollow, almost echo type sound.

Obviously adding a cut out to the bottom of the shells is the way to go.

For all of those who have disassembled their DM10 mesh shells, would this be do-able?

Online AlanK

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
interesting, and tempting to try, I imagine a (few?) carefully drilled holes would let air through
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Has a mesh head. No compression like a conventional drum.
JimmyB

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
The more I think about this the more it makes sense to me.

An enclosed space, such as the DM10 shell, definitely resonates sound more than an open space.

I'm going to get a used 12 inch shell on the cheap and run some experiments with the mesh heads.

My concern, not knowing for sure, is would be possible with the DM10 shell and to keep the contacts/sensors in place. I am not adventurous enough to completely take the shell apart to find out out of fear of it not working again once I put it all back together.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
Could you snap pic of inside if your mesh pad, just take head off?

Do they have the same plate stack as the Mylar kits have?
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
Hey Gang.

Well summer was here and up in the great white north summers are short so I have to cherish the time I can spend outdoors as much as possible so I haven't been on line too much.

I did get my hands on a 12 inch acoustic shell. I changed the head out to a mesh head and thru much effort I just couldn't get the acoustic shell to be as loud (annoying really) as the Alesis. I tried stuffing the Alesis with foam and other creative stuff but just couldn't get the 12 inch tom down to a level that I was happy with.

The acoustic shell with the mesh head kind of sounded like a low ping where as the Alesis head is more of a thud. I like to play at low volume levels so as not to hear an earful from the wife as well as get the level from the kit to a point where the volume balance between the song I am playing along with and my amp are in harmony. At low volume levels I can clearly hear the non musical stick strike of the tom. Thud isn't enjoyable.

Final result is that I ended up rolling the dice and sight unseen I bought a Laurin 12 inch tom. OMG I simply could not be happier. The stick strike sound with zero volume is almost non existent and the pliability is greatly improved. After a single day of playing just one the the Laurin drums I went and ordered a second 12 inch tom. From here I will start pinching dollars and will work towards replacing all of my tom with the Laurin.

Adrian, here's a pic with the mesh head removed.

Online AlanK

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
I'd been eyeing Laurin Drums to do similar, replace as many drums as possible. Not sure I'll continue now that the Strike is out there.. I have to do some calculations.. could spend over a grand switching all toms, snare, kick to Laurin but also could wait for the Strike to drop or go on sale, then have all the new cymbals, rack and brain of course.

I've got snare and kick from Laurin so far and love how much it makes my kit look more like an acoustic.. just feels better to sit behind a more robust ekit. I see that you can order toms with leg mounts.. I know you could simply buy some and put them on yourself, but in any case it's still cool as you could make your lower toms into real floor toms. I'm not a major fan of rack mounting so the more independant set up to me the better. I've already got my ride on a boom stand, and I have another stand that can hold two toms, so in theory I could start building my kit towards standalone and take away the rack when I've got enough cymbal stands.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:23 AM »
I was thinking of doing the same, upgrading my module to a Mimic Pro and switching pads over time to the Laurin pads.  After giving the Strike a second look, and after seeing some of the features in action, especially the sampler, I think I've about got myself convinced to stick with Alesis.  I can upgrade the entire kit for around the same price as the module by going with the Strike.

I don't know how the acoustic sound of the Strike pads is, but they're made differently from the DM10's pads?  Maybe there's some difference in the acoustics, also, but to be honest, it's not really a selling point for me since I'm using it with my band.  The DM10's acoustic noise hasn't been an issue, even with some of our quieter songs.