Author Topic: Crimson II mapping issues AD2 HELP!!!  (Read 1047 times)

Crimson II mapping issues AD2 HELP!!!
« on: February 27, 2021, 09:52:49 PM »
Hi all,

I just upgraded form a Surge module to a Crimson II module recently because I wanted to have a 3 zones ride capability.
I use AD2 for my sounds and my setup worked flawlessly with my Surge Mesh Kit.
As soon as I got the Crimson II module I basically plugged all of my Surge Mesh Kit’s pads in a Crimson II brain and nothing worked properly ever after…
My hi-hat mapping is gone out the window and If I hit the ride pad hard, it triggers the toms.
I tried to manually map the hi-hat and the same thing happens. If I hit it hard, it triggers the toms.
I tried all of the Alesis mapping presets and none of them is working properly…
Of course, the Crimson II is not in the list.
Anybody had any issues with this? This is really frustrating…

Thank you.

Offline Chaser

Re: Crimson II mapping issues AD2 HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 12:38:43 AM »
Hi all,

I just upgraded form a Surge module to a Crimson II module recently because I wanted to have a 3 zones ride capability.
I use AD2 for my sounds and my setup worked flawlessly with my Surge Mesh Kit.
As soon as I got the Crimson II module I basically plugged all of my Surge Mesh Kit’s pads in a Crimson II brain and nothing worked properly ever after…
My hi-hat mapping is gone out the window and If I hit the ride pad hard, it triggers the toms.
I tried to manually map the hi-hat and the same thing happens. If I hit it hard, it triggers the toms.
I tried all of the Alesis mapping presets and none of them is working properly…
Of course, the Crimson II is not in the list.
Anybody had any issues with this? This is really frustrating…

Thank you.

The Crimson II Module/DM10 MKII Studio has a much different MIDI mapping than most modules..including the Hi Hat open/closed and the cymbals bow/edge are tied to one note.You can map the cymbals I believe , but you can't change the Hi Hat which is tied to MIDI Note 8.
I never received a response from Alesis why just these 2 modules as there are multiple based on the Medeli DD650.

I don't have a Crimson II module but I went and created an AD2 Map for it (attached)
Unzip..Copy or Drag/Drop the Folder to...Documents>Addictive Drums 2...(you should also see a External MIDI Folder there).
There will now a selection for Crimson II under the "My Maps" in the Map Preset window.
You will have to work on the Hi Hat in the MIDI learning area (CC etc)..currently I assigned a HH tip..there are some different ones and I placed them close to MIDI note 8 on the Keymap to the right.
You will have to MIDI learn the choke note on all the cymbals...I don't know what the Crimson II sends.
You could find out using MIDIOX or just MIDI learn them.

Have fun !!

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:15:45 AM »
The Crimson II Module/DM10 MKII Studio has a much different MIDI mapping than most modules..including the Hi Hat open/closed and the cymbals bow/edge are tied to one note.You can map the cymbals I believe , but you can't change the Hi Hat which is tied to MIDI Note 8.
I never received a response from Alesis why just these 2 modules as there are multiple based on the Medeli DD650.

I don't have a Crimson II module but I went and created an AD2 Map for it (attached)
Unzip..Copy or Drag/Drop the Folder to...Documents>Addictive Drums 2...(you should also see a External MIDI Folder there).
There will now a selection for Crimson II under the "My Maps" in the Map Preset window.
You will have to work on the Hi Hat in the MIDI learning area (CC etc)..currently I assigned a HH tip..there are some different ones and I placed them close to MIDI note 8 on the Keymap to the right.
You will have to MIDI learn the choke note on all the cymbals...I don't know what the Crimson II sends.

Have fun !!

Thank you so much Chaser! You've been of great help. Your map works very well, I just had to reverse the CC on the hat but I had to do the same on my Surge module. Unfortunately the mistriggers are still happening  :(
My hat will sometimes trigger tom 1 and my ride cymbal will sometimes trigger tom 2 or tom 3. Any idea why?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:27:42 AM by Alexis »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »

Have fun !!

Thank you so much Chaser! You've been of great help. Your map works very well, I just had to reverse the CC on the hat but I had to do the same on my Surge module. Unfortunately the mistriggers are still happening  :(
My hat will sometimes trigger tom 1 and my ride cymbal will sometimes trigger tom 2 or tom 3. Any idea why?

Did you set your New module up before connecting to AD2?..or just connect the Surge Kit pieces and went straight to the software..
It's always best to dial in the settings on the module first..
It sounds like Crosstalk...Hi Hat > Tom 1...there in the same vicinity of each other...same with the Ride and Tom 2 and 3..it's in the middle of the 2.

Check this link...the Crimson and Crimson II modules are both DD650 and basically the same just the MIDI mapping is different

Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit - Adjusting Trigger Settings for Optimal Performance

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 10:35:16 AM »

Did you set your New module up before connecting to AD2?..or just connect the Surge Kit pieces and went straight to the software..
It sounds like Crosstalk...Hi Hat > Tom 1...there in the same vicinity of each other...same with the Ride and Tom 2 and 3..it's in the middle of the 2.

Yes indeed, like a noob I just plugged the kit right in and started banging on the drums!
I did suspect it was Xtalk but I couldn't fix it in the Crimson II settings... Turned out I was dialling the wrong setting. I was tweaking the Xtalk on the toms when I should've been tweaking the THRESHOLD.
It's all good now. Happy as a clam! I guess the crosstalk algorithm on the Crimson II is much different than the Surge's.
Thank you again for your help Chaser, I owe you one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:37:50 AM by Alexis »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 09:34:46 AM »

Yes indeed, like a noob I just plugged the kit right in and started banging on the drums!
I did suspect it was Xtalk but I couldn't fix it in the Crimson II settings... Turned out I was dialling the wrong setting. I was tweaking the Xtalk on the toms when I should've been tweaking the THRESHOLD.
It's all good now. Happy as a clam! I guess the crosstalk algorithm on the Crimson II is much different than the Surge's.
Thank you again for your help Chaser, I owe you one.

Happy to hear you got it working well !...
The Factory Maps are cluttered with all MIDI Notes/articulations already assigned throughout the Piano Roll.
I attached a "clean" map for the Crimson II.
What a clean map is...ALL MIDI Note assignments have been removed (including choke notes...the Crimson II should send after touch) from the Map except for the Crimson II default Mapping.
All other MIDI Notes/articulations will now show in the center column as "unmapped" and will make it simple for searching through all the articulations.
If you have a lot of time dialing in all your settings in your current AD2 map attach it to your post and I'll clean it up and post it.

AD2 doesn't have articulations (bow/edge) for dual zone cymbals,The Crimson II module has the same MIDI note assigned to the Bow/Edge however you can assign a different MIDI Note and articulation to the extra Zone...a clean map makes it much easier..
Typically the expansions for AD2 are Cymbal 1 and 2 = Crash...Cymbal 3 and 4 = China..Cymbals 5 and 6 are Splashes.
The Flexi are FX..crashers,cowbells etc or empty...It all depends on the ADPak
You can assign any articulation/instrument to any kit piece also while you are in the mapping window using the drop down menu and select from the ADPaks you have installed.

EDIT:
I don't have a Crimson II anymore sold off along with the others after I compared them.
I wanted to test the theory that the "Hi Hat Combinations" are tied so you can't change individual voices or reassign the MIDI notes.
If you can try using the other hi hat voices and see if you can reassign the open/closed notes.
The .kit file doesn't include any trigger information or I would attach a modified one.
If you go into Voices..select Hi Hat..or Pedal..or Splash..You'll see there are "Hi Hat Combinations"  from 630-643...they are locked to the Hi Hat components..you select one..it is applied to all three...and the MIDI Note also
You can assign any of the other Factory Voices to the HiHat,Pedal and Splash (including Hi Hat Voices 408-443 which is 9 groups of 4..HH,Edge,Pedal,splash) and to other kit pieces.. and they WILL save.
See if you can change the Hi Hat Voices in the module to one of the 408-433 also change the MIDI Note assignment (46 open..42 closed..44-pedal) and if it will save and be recalled when selecting the kit.If it will then the AD2 Map can be changed .

If the MIDI notes can be reassigned and you get a chance ,attach a copy of the Map Preset you are using for AD2  to your post.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:23:09 PM by Chaser »