Author Topic: replacing fsr on surge hi-hat  (Read 1761 times)

replacing fsr on surge hi-hat
« on: February 02, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »
Hi folks

wondering if anyone could advice on replacing the fsr on my surge hi-hat pedal? When i turn my module on the hi-hat plays an 'open' sound but once i press down on the pedal the hi-hat only plays a 'closed' sound, regardless of whether i'm touching the pedal, and there is no sound after that first press from the pedal. I've opened the casing and pressed the sensor after just switching on the module, and the only response is an initial 'closed' sound from the last segment of the sensor at the toe end, but then there is no sound from any part of the sensor after that.
Now i have no real experience of this kind of thing, as may be apparent, but i'd really like to get the range from my hi-hat i'm supposed to have.
Do i need to buy a new fsr? can't find a similar one online, only ones like this: https://www.proto-pic.co.uk/product/sparkfun-sen-09376-force-sensitive-resistor-square/
Or does anyone know of a way to repair the one i have?
any help greatly appreciated

Offline Chaser

Re: replacing fsr on surge hi-hat
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:17 PM »
Hi folks

wondering if anyone could advice on replacing the fsr on my surge hi-hat pedal? When i turn my module on the hi-hat plays an 'open' sound but once i press down on the pedal the hi-hat only plays a 'closed' sound, regardless of whether i'm touching the pedal, and there is no sound after that first press from the pedal. I've opened the casing and pressed the sensor after just switching on the module, and the only response is an initial 'closed' sound from the last segment of the sensor at the toe end, but then there is no sound from any part of the sensor after that.
Now i have no real experience of this kind of thing, as may be apparent, but i'd really like to get the range from my hi-hat i'm supposed to have.

Do i need to buy a new fsr? can't find a similar one online, only ones like this: https://www.proto-pic.co.uk/product/sparkfun-sen-09376-force-sensitive-resistor-square/
Or does anyone know of a way to repair the one i have?
any help greatly appreciated

The Surge Mesh kit should have the RealHat pedal .It's not FSR...it is continuous/variable type with a linear potentiometer.
The Pedal requires pressure as rubber in the pedal rolls on it and the resistance changes as it moves along the strip.
There is no up-down range...it requires a little "finesse"
There isn't a replacement offered anywhere for just the linear "soft"pot.
There is a "5 min fix" see if it makes any difference
but the pedal shouldn't be triggering on startup...like you are connecting/plugging in the cable or a bad/dirty input jack.
These modules use a DB25 connector for the harness so check to be sure it doesn't trigger at startup with the pedal disconnected.

If the pedal is still not functioning properly...
Depending on where you are located (US?..the FSR link is UK ?)there are plenty of Realhat pedals on ebay
or the Millenium pedal (Thomann Music) should be the same pedal ,just a flame on top instead of Alesis logo.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:02:21 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »
thank you chaser
I think I've understood most of what you said. You can probably tell from the fsr mix-up that this is all pretty alien to me. I'll have a go at the 5 min fix as the pedal isn't triggering by itself on start-up, that was only if i strike the hi-hat myself. Otherwise it seems a shame that the only other option is to buy another pedal, that's pretty wasteful. From what I've gathered from other threads though and my own unanswered e-mails is that Alesis are unlikely to be any help, is that right?
Thanks again for your reply, this has all been pretty stressful until now

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »
thank you chaser
I think I've understood most of what you said. You can probably tell from the fsr mix-up that this is all pretty alien to me. I'll have a go at the 5 min fix as the pedal isn't triggering by itself on start-up, that was only if i strike the hi-hat myself. Otherwise it seems a shame that the only other option is to buy another pedal, that's pretty wasteful. From what I've gathered from other threads though and my own unanswered e-mails is that Alesis are unlikely to be any help, is that right?
Thanks again for your reply, this has all been pretty stressful until now

That where the "Finesse" comes in.When you press the pedal all the way down and hold you will get a closed sound.
Slowly take the pressure off/lift your foot and as you strike the Hi Hat you should hear the open to close range..the Hi Hat will sound fully open when all the pressure from the rubber actuator is lifted off the "soft pot"..your foot doesn't move very much just enough to take the pressure off.
Quickly "stabbing it" will produce a splash..without hitting the Hi Hat..It takes some practice.
The "5 min Fix" ..just takes up the gap as the pedal goes a distance before the rubber engages the "soft pot" and the pedal actually starts working.