Author Topic: Midi passthrough and Alesis Nitro & Edrumin  (Read 644 times)

Midi passthrough and Alesis Nitro & Edrumin
« on: July 19, 2020, 06:45:52 AM »
Hi y’all
I become very interested in the eDRUMin (eDRUMin is an e-drum to MIDI interface. Its advanced circuitry and powerful processor offer support for both Roland and Yamaha style pads and triggers. Features like Hotspot Suppression, Positional Sensing and Bezier Velocity curves bring your drums to life. With USB, MIDI, and 9V connectivity, eDRUMin is well suited for use with Virtual Drum samplers or as an add-on to upgrade an existing drum module. https://www.audiofront.net/eDrumIn.php ) but have some questions as to if it would work in my setup.
My setup is and Alesis Nitro drum set with a PDX-100 for a snare, a CY5 as a Hit Hat and a CY13r as a ride.
I use it for two, let’s called them modes, PRACTISE and PERFORMANCE:

- PRACTISE is using the modules sounds and practising using Roland V-drums Tutor and Melodics. The Alesis, after some changes to midi notes can use with Roland V-drum Tutor perfectly, so no problems there, same for Melodics.
- PERFORMANCE is using superior drummer 3, as far as I know that I can use two MIDI USB devices on it, so no problem there even adding eDRUMin to the mix.

My main interest in eDRUMin would be, apart from the obvious expansion potential, would be to use positional sensing on the snare, to use the different zones on the cymbals that I use as hit-hat and ride, and eventually get a FD-9 hi-hat pedal to replace the shitty alesis one.
My doubt is would I be able to connect the eDRUMin to the module through MIDI and use it for PRACTISE with the advanced features like positional sensing, multiple zones and etc, without confusing the module (I assume that the module would not make use of that data and would just register it as a hit to the pad), while also in PERFORMANCE mode being able to use those features in Superior Drummer 3, without having to reconfigure or reconnect everything.
I hope as able to explain my situation, and hope that someone can help me out with this. If it is possible to use it this way.
Cheers!

+++

After posting this to the edrumin forum the answers I got pointed me towards that the problem would be if Alesis nitro supports midi passthrough, i.e. the midi info coming through a midi cable into the alesis and then into the PC through the USB cable. I have scoured the net and the manuals but I can seem to get a straight answer. Does anyone know if the above setup would work?

Offline Chaser

Re: Midi passthrough and Alesis Nitro & Edrumin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:41:56 PM »
Hi y’all
I become very interested in the eDRUMin (eDRUMin is an e-drum to MIDI interface. Its advanced circuitry and powerful processor offer support for both Roland and Yamaha style pads and triggers. Features like Hotspot Suppression, Positional Sensing and Bezier Velocity curves bring your drums to life. With USB, MIDI, and 9V connectivity, eDRUMin is well suited for use with Virtual Drum samplers or as an add-on to upgrade an existing drum module. https://www.audiofront.net/eDrumIn.php ) but have some questions as to if it would work in my setup.
My setup is and Alesis Nitro drum set with a PDX-100 for a snare, a CY5 as a Hit Hat and a CY13r as a ride.
I use it for two, let’s called them modes, PRACTISE and PERFORMANCE:

- PRACTISE is using the modules sounds and practising using Roland V-drums Tutor and Melodics. The Alesis, after some changes to midi notes can use with Roland V-drum Tutor perfectly, so no problems there, same for Melodics.
- PERFORMANCE is using superior drummer 3, as far as I know that I can use two MIDI USB devices on it, so no problem there even adding eDRUMin to the mix.

My main interest in eDRUMin would be, apart from the obvious expansion potential, would be to use positional sensing on the snare, to use the different zones on the cymbals that I use as hit-hat and ride, and eventually get a FD-9 hi-hat pedal to replace the shitty alesis one.
My doubt is would I be able to connect the eDRUMin to the module through MIDI and use it for PRACTISE with the advanced features like positional sensing, multiple zones and etc, without confusing the module (I assume that the module would not make use of that data and would just register it as a hit to the pad), while also in PERFORMANCE mode being able to use those features in Superior Drummer 3, without having to reconfigure or reconnect everything.
I hope as able to explain my situation, and hope that someone can help me out with this. If it is possible to use it this way.
Cheers!

+++

After posting this to the edrumin forum the answers I got pointed me towards that the problem would be if Alesis nitro supports midi passthrough, i.e. the midi info coming through a midi cable into the alesis and then into the PC through the USB cable. I have scoured the net and the manuals but I can seem to get a straight answer. Does anyone know if the above setup would work?

The DM6 (NOT the Discontinued,recently re-released with the BURST Kit),NITRO,SURGE, are based off the Medeli DD512-514..there is no pass through or option for MIDI THRU and 5 PIN MIDI will not pass thru USB.

MIDI Implementation chart pg 39
Medeli DD514 MANUAL
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:21:23 PM by Chaser »