Author Topic: closed hi-hat setup  (Read 7871 times)

Offline AlanK

closed hi-hat setup
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:01:26 PM »
Hi gang! So there's been a lot of threads regarding hi-hat setup.. some using the continuous control settings, some have just open/closed. There have been some interesting diy jobs to incorporate switches or levers to toggle the pedal mode, talk about using straps or weights to keep it in a closed position and so on.

Now that the new dual hi-hat is due out soon I'm sure a lot of us will rush out to buy it. I know I will. Then we'll have a spare cymbal and clamp/rod available. I will repurpose mine as a splash or small crash somewhere on the kit. But I also have been seeing a lot of drummers placing a second hi-hat into their kits over on the right side and it would be cool to try this out too. It would be even cooler if it could be set to be closed always so you could play it with double kick like you would a ride cymbal.

What I was wondering is, and I haven't taken the time to check every single hi-hat voice or if there's a way to adjust one to sound closed.. but if there's no "closed hi-hat" voice to be found...is there a way other than physically holding/clamping down the foot pedal, to reverse the pedal's output so that it's closed when the pedal is released? I don't know if I'd ever need this extra hi-hat to actually have an open sound, or anything in between, or do chicks or heel splashes so maybe the simplest way is to actually velcro or tie wrap it down to a closed position.

But you electronics guys, can we reverse the polarity of a cable or the wiring in the pedal or something that would do the trick? Easiest solution, of course, would be if there was just a voice selectible for closed hi-hat sound. That's perfect for people who would just plug the extra cymbal into one of the spare inputs or split it off from a dual-zone. But we're all going to have the spare foot pedal after we buy hi-hat stands, plus I've got a second module so I can plug my leftover gear into the second hi-hat input and pedal input (and people with sample racks etc would have those inputs as well).

What do you guys think? Anyone else starting to think up ways to re-use their soon to be spare hi-hat cymbal pad and foot pedal? I guess another cool option would be if we could use the spare pedal as a trigger to set off a next kit or previous kit option..it would be great to be able to set up kit switching without giving up a pad or rim being programmed to do it and to me a pedal would also seem more realistic so that's another option I'm considering when I've got the new dual hi-hat.

Exciting times. Love my Alesis more and more every day. Spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon bashing away and then couldn't resist heading downstairs at 10:30 for another hour before calling it a night..I'm definitely addicted!  :-)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Corvidae

Re: closed hi-hat setup
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
There's actually a _really_ easy way to handle this. :)

From a discussion I had with HF a while back (via PM, so no link):

"The way that hi-hat is handled is a little odd when it comes to the DM10. The hi-hat controller only controls the hi-hat sound when it is only assigned to the hi-hat trigger input. Mainly because it controls only certain midi notes. At least that is how it appears to be programed internally.

When assigning the hi-hat sounds to other pads it works like this:
- Assigning a hi-hat sound to a "head" zones gives you the open sound.
- Assigning that same sound to a "rim" zone gives you the closed sound.

There is no real way to set the half open sound. There is a way to fake the half open sound. To do this, assign a hi-hat sound to a "head" zone. This will make the full open sound. Edit the "Decay" of the sound to a lower number. The lower the number the shorter the decay. By doing this you can make it sound close to a half open hi-hat sound."

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:57:13 PM »
Hey Corvidae, that's perfect! I probably read that thread some time ago and hadn't remembered. That would actually be much better for my use because I could get a closed hi-hat setup as well as use the pedal as a switch (if the system lets me do this) to click to the next kit or something like that. I've got a lot of extra inputs having two modules. Mind you, I have a feeling I won't be able to use the foot pedal to trigger anything other than hi-hat related but it would be cool if you could reuse it for something in the kit. Would seem like a waste to have it packed away after I get the Pro X Hi-hat.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »
@Hellfire: great information tidbits like that belong in a thread of their own in the Advanced Use-section - A "Tips and tricks with the Dm10 module" thread! :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline MykH89

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »
You may also wan't to look into using a switch controller. You can just pick up any cheap Constant ON/OFF foot switch and plug that directly into the "HH CONTROL" input on the module. This will give you a constant closed sound when the switch is engaged, and a constant open sound when it is disengaged. This should work perfect for you only want closed sounds...

However, if you ever decided you want to switch back and forth between a Constant ON/OFF and Variable hat, then an E-Clutch is your best solution. This is the way I have mine set up and it works great. This method gives you the best of both worlds. Instead of having to pick between your Alesis RealHat Pedal and your Constant ON/OFF foot switch, you hook up both using a Mono Splitter. I'll attach a diagram of the setup for a visual...

Either way I hope it helped some. I think you'll like having a secondary hat on the right side of your kit! If you play cross-handed on your primary hat, then playing your secondary hat will leave you open-handed, giving you room for more creativity...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:47:41 PM by MykH89 »
DM10X Dual Module Setup, Performance Pad Pro, Custom X-Rack, Three 10" Pads, Six 12" Pads, Three 12" Cymbals, Four 14" Cymbals, Three 16" Cymbals, Trick Drums Pedals & Hardware

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
Hi Myk, that's a perfect solution, thanks! And I actually have a Fender FUSE amp too and had been thinking of picking up a foot switch for it (I don't know much about guitar/amps but have it in case anybody comes by that can play). I already have the splitter. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Offline MykH89

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:25:45 PM »
Not a problem, glad to help. I'm actually thinking about buying another foot switch when I make my next order so that I can take it apart and add a variable resistor. I'm not sure if I'll work or not, but I'm hoping that by adding the variable resistor I'll be able to control which sound is produced by the module when the switch is engaged. So maybe instead of being stuck with just full-open/closed, I could change it so that I get full-open/quart-open or full-open/half-open. I tend to only use my secondary hat completely closed for pop or hip-hop. So if it works out I'll prolly post a small DIY on it...
DM10X Dual Module Setup, Performance Pad Pro, Custom X-Rack, Three 10" Pads, Six 12" Pads, Three 12" Cymbals, Four 14" Cymbals, Three 16" Cymbals, Trick Drums Pedals & Hardware

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 05:22:37 AM »
You may also wan't to look into using a switch controller. You can just pick up any cheap Constant ON/OFF foot switch and plug that directly into the "HH CONTROL" input on the module. This will give you a constant closed sound when the switch is engaged, and a constant open sound when it is disengaged. This should work perfect for you only want closed sounds...

However, if you ever decided you want to switch back and forth between a Constant ON/OFF and Variable hat, then an E-Clutch is your best solution. This is the way I have mine set up and it works great. This method gives you the best of both worlds. Instead of having to pick between your Alesis RealHat Pedal and your Constant ON/OFF foot switch, you hook up both using a Mono Splitter. I'll attach a diagram of the setup for a visual...

Either way I hope it helped some. I think you'll like having a secondary hat on the right side of your kit! If you play cross-handed on your primary hat, then playing your secondary hat will leave you open-handed, giving you room for more creativity...
where did you get the constant on/off switch?

Offline MykH89

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 06:44:49 AM »
I picked mine up at our local store, but you can probably get them at almost any music retailer. Last time I was on Musician's Friend's website I noticed they a few different ones that were only $15-$20...

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34:10 PM »
If you're stuck for a switch (or broke), try shorting the tip with an alligator clip. Take it off for open.
Alesis DM6, Alesis DM10 Studio with 682 Drums mesh head conversion, Roland TD15K, Camco 'Oaklawn' Series 5 piece w Zildjian & Paiste cymbals.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:21:15 PM »
Just adding my 2 cents, typically a month late. I started using a 2nd hi- hat on the right on my acoustic set, inspired by some video I saw of Dave Garibaldi, the Tower of Power funk drummer. I just keep it closed all the time ( clutch off). Like it so much I set up my DX10M that way from the start. MyhK89 is right about the reduction in cross sticking.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 05:43:48 PM »
found it!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:49:45 PM by BAD-RELIGION »