Author Topic: DIY dual zone e-drum pads  (Read 2996 times)

DIY dual zone e-drum pads
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
I am trying to build myself some dual zone e-drum pads and am having problems with the pad tricking the rim. I have read all I can find online about building these but not much info on how to deal with this problem that I have found. Anyone have expertise in this area?
I have been using remo practice pads and have tried the metal plate sandwich and also small triggers with cones and soft foam under them to isolate from bottom. I have tried both double sided foam tape and plain double sided tape to attach the piezos. I put the rim piezo on the underside of outside of practice pad. the practice pads i have tried are both 6 and 8 inch. I am making mesh heads that fit the practice pad. I like the small trigger method more appealing because they are quieter in my experience with no foam layer under the whole head.  Any help would be appreciated.   -Mbira

Offline korakios

Re: DIY dual zone e-drum pads
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
So ,what is not working? Much crosstalk? Low sensitivity? Hotspot?
Could you describe in details where the problem is? :)
Also uploading photos always helps!

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
I can get some photos up after the 18th.
the problem is that the rim gets triggered when hitting the pad sometimes. More likely to be triggered closer to the edge of pad or at lighter velocities. Sometimes when the rim is falsely triggered the pad sound is not triggered which seems even weirder.  thanks for any help, mbira

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
Without photos is hard to tell what can be causing it, but from looking at how a Roland mesh dual zone snare is constructed, I see that (the one i have ) has a piezo with a foam touching the head, the ohter piezo is just glued to the bottom of the pad (its a single piece of plastic) but if you are using a regular snare, I suggest getting an L bracket mount the piezo under the head not on the center, and the other piezo should be mounted to the sidewall more towards the bottom of the snare, that should be isolated enough to not trigger it unless you are hitting the rim... my conversion was like that but I got tired of having to dissasemble the drum everytime something failed, I bought the DDrum Red Shot triggers ($15 each) for the toms since you don't really need much positional sensing (which they do have to a limited degree), I also bought the Roland triggers for the snare and bass drum. so far I have a very nice 7 piece set with 8,10,12,13,14, toms 14 snare and 22 Bd, with 7 cymbals using the Go-edrum controller. i'm going to incorporate 4 other pads that I have from my Roland TD11 as extra percussion and effects. Modules are Roland TD-11 and Alesis DM5. Oh also using Remo mesh heads.