Author Topic: DIY tube trigger - Multiple piezo question  (Read 729 times)

Offline Joker47

DIY tube trigger - Multiple piezo question
« on: January 23, 2023, 06:03:54 PM »
I've been thinking of making a homemade tube trigger, and was wondering about setting up the piezo's inside.

Theoretically, if I was to make say, a 12" tube trigger, can the piezo's inside the tube be "daisy-chained" together, then wired to the same output?

The idea, is to place them evenly through the tube, so that a hit anywhere on the tube triggers it equally.

Is there any reason anyone is aware of that the piezo's couldn't, or shouldn't be daisy-chained together?

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Online Hellfire

Re: DIY tube trigger - Multiple piezo question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 04:59:51 PM »
I've been thinking of making a homemade tube trigger, and was wondering about setting up the piezo's inside.

Theoretically, if I was to make say, a 12" tube trigger, can the piezo's inside the tube be "daisy-chained" together, then wired to the same output?

The idea, is to place them evenly through the tube, so that a hit anywhere on the tube triggers it equally.

Is there any reason anyone is aware of that the piezo's couldn't, or shouldn't be daisy-chained together?

Thanks,
J

You can daisy chain them together. Or you can try wiring them in parallel (meaning are red wires together and all black wires together).
To be honest I don't think multiple piezo elements are really necessary for a 12" tube trigger. I think a single piezo element would work just fine.
Just my two cents.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 08:48:44 PM »
I agree with Hellfire..it's too small trigger to worry about even sensitivity...you may have to deal with crosstalk as it is.
It will depend on how and where you mount it.
PINTECH had 3 Tube Types...Nimrod which was 6"..Dingbat which was 12"...both were patented?
It looks like they were discontinued and now sold as "Tubular Pads.".
The repair kits (identical) consist of a jack and a foam cylinder (probably placed in the center of the tube) with the Piezo inside

NIMROD REPAIR KIT

DINGBAT REPAIR KIT

TUBULAR PADS

Online AlanK

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 10:31:50 AM »
If you give up on the DIY aspect, 682Drums has a line of this type of add on. I bought my mesh upgrade heads, cones etc from them and a couple of cymbals and they were top notch to deal with, fast delivery even from Netherlands to Canada and always responded to my questions quickly. Just another option...

https://682drums.com/product-category/extra-pads/
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Joker47

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 02:09:03 PM »
Thanks guys.  :) Sounds like if I try it, just one piezo will be plenty.

Alan/Chaser,
I've seen the Pintech's in 6" and 12" sizes. Quite honestly, the ONLY reason I was going to try the DIY route, is that I already have a pile of new piezo's, and the idea I had for the tube would actually end up "wrapped" around the outside edge of the snare (Maybe a 1/3 of the way?) to act as a wood block or for more a "Latin rim shot" style.

Since I already have a ton of piezo's, it was an idea that would cost a few bucks to try. :)

Thanks for all the input. Always appreciated.

Regards,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou