Author Topic: Newbie question!  (Read 2441 times)

Newbie question!
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »
I want to buy the Alesis DM10 Studio Kit real soon and sell my acoustic kit because of complaint from the neighbors. Probably within the next month or so. So while I've been researching the kit I have stumbled across videos about changing the RealHeads to meshheads and it seems like a real bother. It says everywhere that you can change the realheads with any other standard heads, so my question is why can't you just slap on the meshheads without messing around with the wires and triggering? You know, buy the some Roland meshheads and simply just put them on.

Also, are the RealHeads simply real drum heads? How loud are they exactly because it doesn't say anywhere.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:53:57 PM by Knotism »

Orangeblood

Re: Newbie question!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:43:47 PM »
Because there is a metal plate just under a thin piece of foam that is directly under the mylar head.

What's your budget?

Offline vaikl

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:19:25 PM »
Knotism, as Hellfire works out in his conversion video the rearrangement of the foam and the plate inside the pads can give you a better feeling and control over rebound when you are switching to mesh heads. The exchange and soldering of the piezo is only necessary if you want to change a single trigger pad into a dual trigger pad.

I've done only the rearranging and in fact got a much better bouncing control compared to the mylars - beside the enormous noise reducing results.

And yes, the RealHeads are standard mylar heads which are out there for about 50 years for a-kits. Have you seen the complete video? In the very beginning there's a loudness comparison between standard mylar and the meshhead conversion.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »
Hmm okay then. Can you link me to the video please?

Also, my budget is pretty much excactly what the DM10 costs, just waiting for the local music store to receive it.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »