Author Topic: Anyone using the DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?  (Read 136 times)

Offline papaherb64

Anyone using the DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone here uses the DDrum DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?

Seems to me I can abandon a drum module and use this in conjunction with my DAW and Perfect Drums, Addictive Drums, Slate, etc

Am I correct?

Offline Hellfire

Re: Anyone using the DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone here uses the DDrum DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?

Seems to me I can abandon a drum module and use this in conjunction with my DAW and Perfect Drums, Addictive Drums, Slate, etc

Am I correct?

The quick answer is: Kind of.

Keep in mind that all modules are not equal when it comes to functionality and I'm referring to the triggering functionality and not the sound engine. As an example, do you want dual zone crash cymbals with choke on your set-up? That is three different functions on one trigger input. The DDTI is not capable of that combination of functions with a single crash cymbal. DDTI can either be a single zone with choke or a dual zone with no velocity on the edge switch.

With triggers there are two main kind of "pick-ups" sensors used. A "piezo element" (variable output, variable velocity) and a simple "switch" (two outputs, ON or OFF, no variable velocity). To get a variable velocity on a switch zone (like the edge of a cymbal) the module actually looks at the bow piezo element to get the variable output. The DDTI can not do this. It sees the zones as totally separate. It doesn't know to get the variable output from the piezo. So you only get an ON or OFF signal from any "switch" zone. To get a dual zone trigger on the DDTI, you need to set the input for piezo/piezo. That will allow dual zone variable output triggering for drum pads. BUT, your trigger must have a piezo sensor for both zones. Cymbals typically do not use dual piezo elements. I've only seen one commercially available Cymbal that uses two piezo elements and that was many year ago and was only use as a ride cymbal. Piezo on the bow and piezo on the bell. No edge sensing which means no choking. 

So you really need to ask yourself, how do I want my drums to function and then see if the module you want to use to trigger software can do those functions.
For more edrum info, be sure to visit my web site at:
          www.HellfireDrums.com                    
My current set-up:  Alesis DM10 and Trigger I/O with modified & DIY pads

Offline papaherb64

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »
How about the Megadrum?

What are your thoughts on those?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
How about the Megadrum?

I'm not going to say what each module you through out can and can't do. That's up to you to find out.

What are your thoughts on those?

You need to really like DIY and tweaking to use the Megadrum.
For more edrum info, be sure to visit my web site at:
          www.HellfireDrums.com                    
My current set-up:  Alesis DM10 and Trigger I/O with modified & DIY pads

Offline papaherb64

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the input  8)