Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183628 times)

Offline forofen

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #1275 on: May 08, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/kZ-lpKlg2mI

​​​​​​​Please someone write what you listen in audio because my language makes it very difficult to understand!

The video has some interesting info about the 200MB limit of instrument samples per kit, which has me curious if the kit editor will indicate a total kit size or just flag when the limit has been exceeded. This could be why the editor has been delayed to avoid users just getting a message that a custom kit is too large to load.

Also the snare pad inside view (@ 1:00) shows the outer cones base plate overhangs its foam support ring a bit, which could be why they are gradually shifting out at the mesh surface. It may help to move all the cones slightly inwards to sit more aligned above their foam support, if that doesn't reduce the piezo's response.

I really appreciate the translation work!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #1276 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »

​​​​​​​Please someone write what you listen in audio because my language makes it very difficult to understand!

Good video. Please keep in mind that what he calls the "Rim" piezo is not the rim piezo. The head sensing system is made up of two sensor plates and each plate has several foam columns that transfers hits from the head to each plate. Each plate has one piezo sensor attached to it. Those two sensor plates are connected to the potentiometer (the adjustment knob on the side of the drum trigger). By adjusting the potentiometer the user can very the "sweet spot" of the head.

The rim piezo is not viewable in his video. It is located under the head sensors and is attached to the base of the trigger. Meaning it is isolated from the head sensor plates. 

Offline forofen

« Reply #1277 on: May 08, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »

Good video. Please keep in mind that what he calls the "Rim" piezo is not the rim piezo. The head sensing system is made up of two sensor plates and each plate has several foam columns that transfers hits from the head to each plate. Each plate has one piezo sensor attached to it. Those two sensor plates are connected to the potentiometer (the adjustment knob on the side of the drum trigger). By adjusting the potentiometer the user can very the "sweet spot" of the head.

The rim piezo is not viewable in his video. It is located under the head sensors and is attached to the base of the trigger. Meaning it is isolated from the head sensor plates.

Hf thanks for the clarification!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #1278 on: May 08, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
…And that didn't take long.  >:(

My foam columns have started to fall off. This is my 10 inch drum trigger.

Offline forofen

« Reply #1279 on: May 08, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »
Could we take it as an isolated case? Or will it happen to them all? Has any other user reported so far? Is it badly stuck?

Offline forofen

« Reply #1280 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
Have you noticed performance degradation? Or could we say that it is only aesthetic?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #1281 on: May 08, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
…And that didn't take long.  >:(

My foam columns have started to fall off. This is my 10 inch drum trigger.

I got the kit on April 12th. IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN ONE MONTH YET!! I don't even play that much. Maybe an hour a week I've played this kit. Simple testing would have bought this issue to light. This is sloppy. I'm sorry there is no other way to put this. There is no way I'm just an isolated case. First I get the kit on the April 12th, module doesn't work, I get a replacement but no power adapter, and now the drum triggers are literally falling apart.

So much potential and yet all these issues.

Sure, I can fix the column issue but, not many will be willing to "fix things" on their kit this soon. If my kit was a couple years old and this happened, it wouldn't have been that big of an issue. But 4 weeks!

Offline forofen

« Reply #1282 on: May 08, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »

I understand you. But taking your case as an example I decided to look for other cases on the web. And found one a little more encouraging, copy below:

I've had the kit for 3 weeks now. I updated to v1.1 and I give the kit a 8.5/10 so far.

1. Hi Hat is more or less normal now. Took some patience and knob turning.

2. Cymbal decay can be adjusted to your liking. v1.1 made a huge difference. Build and sustain are quite good. I love having 2 layers per trigger. Endless sound possibilities.

3. Kick triggering is very sensitive. I am still fighting a little bit of doubling, but it's a fine line between too little sensitivity, re-trigger and not. Overall I love the kick though. It feels solid to me and I do a lot of double bass work.

4. Toms, zero complaints. They feel like toms, they play like toms and I can put any sound I want on the rim. 808 drop on the low tom makes me smile.

5. Module is slow to load. It's not a show stopper, but changing kits or even loading a new sound to a kit is very latent. Inexcusable in this day and age of fast CPU and cheap RAM. WTH? Sound has been fine for me. Yes, the volume was low out of the box. Turn up the gain on the instruments as you adjust the trigger and voice. Takes care of that issue.

5. Cymbal sensitivity. Including hi hats. There are hot spots on the cymbals. I have found that turning the logos away from me keeps everything uniform. I wish the cymbals were more balanced, but I guess it's the nature of the beast. Overall I am pretty happy with the cymbals. I love how i can have any bell, with any bow and a large crash all on the same ride cymbal. I'm contemplating getting one more cymbal, splitting one of the crashes with a Y cable and sending the trigger from the new cymbal. Anyway, I don't dislike the cymbals. They could be better, but they are not brass!!

My take is this... Almost every complaint I've read on here and other boards, are addressed by spending some time tuning. Complaining about the stock kits sounds is ridiculous. There are thousands of sounds in this module and you can program anything, anywhere you want. Also, sample directly into the module. I have taken the base "rock kit" and completely tuned and tweaked the sounds and triggers. I've put in place every drum and cymbal I normally would play acoustic and I am really happy. I have been fortunate that, Ive only had a couple weird issues.

1. My ride cymbal suddenly went very distant. Reboot and it was normal. Has happened 1 time thus far.
2. Updating the module was finicky. Just use windows and it will be easy. Mac was a PITA.
3. Ghost triggering is nearly gone, but once in a while I get this random trigger. Its about 1 per session now, so not a big deal. I need to work more on my Xtalk settings honestly.

Offline forofen

« Reply #1283 on: May 08, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
I tell you again that I understand you and I feel sorry for you. I also think that they should reinforce the qc. But I consult you, will you have had bad luck from the beginning in terms of the module? Did you notice the fault of the foam only in tone 1 or in the others? I think maybe that's just the defective one.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #1284 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
I tell you again that I understand you and I feel sorry for you. I also think that they should reinforce the qc. But I consult you, will you have had bad luck from the beginning in terms of the module? Did you notice the fault of the foam only in tone 1 or in the others? I think maybe that's just the defective one.

My 8 inch tom columns on the outside plate are all leaning over. Very close to falling off. The large toms are not as bad but, there are a few starting to lean. I've already addressed the firmware update which you can read here:

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6440.msg48735#msg48735

I'm sorry but, there is no way I'm an isolated case with this kit.

« Reply #1285 on: May 08, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »

My 8 inch tom columns on the outside plate are all leaning over. Very close to falling off. The large toms are not as bad but, there are a few starting to lean. I've already addressed the firmware update which you can read here:

Yes Hellfire, I also suspect that most if not all of the new Strike kits will suffer from this.  Very sad.

What's most sad to me are users who are standing by the kits, and keep making excuses, even when there is a lot of evidence pointing to the obvious faults.

There is a saying that I've read online regarding e-drums, and now I'm forced to agree with it....

"Roland and Yamaha make instruments... Alesis makes toys.. "

This kind of launch could be forgiven if this was a $500 toy, but not at the prices being charged.

Could the Alesis "fan-boys" lessen their posting that only makes excuses for these kits, and wait for actual users / musicians who can offer valuable insight and user reviews (like what Hellfire has been doing)?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:10:47 AM by 370lbgorilla »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #1286 on: May 08, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
I guess they should have got this guy a bit earlier to do some destruction testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZAliR_BBbo

Offline forofen

« Reply #1287 on: May 08, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
Crashes!

​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/0B2DF_9vZuQ

Offline forofen

« Reply #1288 on: May 08, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »

I understand you! I only meant that maybe the 1 tone came out faulty. I do not justify the lack of quality control.

Offline forofen

« Reply #1289 on: May 08, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »

Yes Hellfire, I also suspect that most if not all of the new Strike kits will suffer from this.  Very sad.

What's most sad to me are users who are standing by the kits, and keep making excuses, even when there is a lot of evidence pointing to the obvious faults.

There is a saying that I've read online regarding e-drums, and now I'm forced to agree with it....

"Roland and Yamaha make instruments... Alesis makes toys.. "

This kind of launch could be forgiven if this was a $500 toy, but not at the prices being charged.

Could the Alesis "fan-boys" lessen their posting that only makes excuses for these kits, and wait for actual users / musicians who can offer valuable insight and user reviews (like what Hellfire has been doing)?

IM real. Of flesh and bone. What are your contributions to the topic? Have you looked for information of interest? Maybe you're wrong on topic. Roland td25 is on the other side of the forum. Thanks for quote me Gorilla.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #1290 on: May 08, 2017, 01:43:47 PM »

Maybe this Alesis & Roland "fan boy" and actual user/musician can offer some valuable insight and user reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-qUm1PWY0
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:59:43 PM by rhysT »

Offline forofen

« Reply #1291 on: May 08, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
Maybe this Alesis & Roland "fan boy" and actual user/musician can offer some valuable insight and user reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-qUm1PWY0
[/quote]

Hahaha. but wait! You forgot to detail your work history! Watch this!

Alesis
Global Product Manager Drums
De 1 de junio de 2015 hasta la fecha
inMusic Brands
Global Product Manager
De 2015 hasta la fecha
Roland Corporation U.S.
enero de 2013-15 de mayo de 2015
San Antonio (Texas)
Texas, Oklahoma , New Mexico . Arizona . Utah, Nevada , California , & Hawaii
Roland Corporation U.S.
V-Drums US Product Manager
septiembre de 2009-enero de 2013
Los Ángeles
National Sales manager for V-Drums in the United States
Roland Corporation
District Sales Manager
2000-2009
San Antonio (Texas)

« Reply #1292 on: May 08, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »
I wonder how the triggering would fare if you replaced the foam columns with foam cones.

Assuming they'll even fit.
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;
DIY: Tennis Ball Drum Riser, Cymbal Felt Beater, Footswitch Cymbal Choker[url]

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #1293 on: May 08, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
You don't think he might be biased in anyway do you?  LOL

Offline forofen

« Reply #1294 on: May 08, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
Cymbals samples

​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/DAZxilEVREM

« Reply #1295 on: May 08, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »
IM real. Of flesh and bone. What are your contributions to the topic? Have you looked for information of interest? Maybe you're wrong on topic. Roland td25 is on the other side of the forum. Thanks for quote me Gorilla.
I don't own a TD25, so can't offer a hands on opinion, although I am looking to upgrade soon from my Vex'd TD11, and I had narrowed it down to the Strike Zone kit or the TD25-KV.

I am not contributing anything in particular to this thread, other than my initial hope and excitement for the Strike kits, and subsequent disappointment in the final product that was released to the public.

I'm not a DIY kinda guy, so I don't want to be faced with the prospect of constantly fixing what's wrong with the pads, cymbals, or the module.  So I'll probably stick with Roland for now.

But since I gig and need a reliable kit, I'll have to pass on the Alesis kits... for now!  But here's hoping they get this worked out. 

I've spent roughly $3k on Alesis gear over the years, and about 2/3 that amount on Roland, so it's safe to say I like both companies.  But this thread is turning into an excuse posting and DIY guide, just like many threads for the DM10.  That's not for this guy, not again.  So I'll wait a bit.

Let's just be honest about what these kits actually have turned out to be, compared to all the tasty promises fed to us for the past year and a half from Alesis.  Sorry for any offense.  I think (at least hope) we're all on this thread for the same reason.

Keep those user reports coming!

« Reply #1296 on: May 08, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »
I will also try to get my hands on one of these kits once they are released up here, and post my findings here. 

So far they are being shown as "On Backorder - Delivery in 5 to 10 business days", which has been the case for a few months now.  But I keep checking!

Maybe they'll have most of the problems fixed by then.  Here's hoping.

Offline forofen

« Reply #1297 on: May 08, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
I will also try to get my hands on one of these kits once they are released up here, and post my findings here. 

So far they are being shown as "On Backorder - Delivery in 5 to 10 business days", which has been the case for a few months now.  But I keep checking!

I do not understand you, are you saying that you will buy a strike pro kit? Or am I hallucinating?

« Reply #1298 on: May 08, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »

I do not understand you, are you saying that you will buy a strike pro kit? Or am I hallucinating?
I meant an in-store audition, but I still haven't completely ruled out the Strike Zone kit, if it's footprint is small enough, and Alesis is able to drastically improve it.

This is nothing new.  It is what I've been saying all along.

Offline forofen

« Reply #1299 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

I meant an in-store audition, but I still haven't completely ruled out the Strike Zone kit, if it's footprint is small enough, and Alesis is able to drastically improve it.

This is nothing new.  It is what I've been saying all along.

There are many stores with good attention, but the ones of greater stock are guitar center and sweetwater. Do not look at the availability date given that it is changing daily and for a few days later. But when you finally make the purchase they deliver to you within a few days, since they are managed with a floating stock, at least that was my experience, if it serves as a data. For example I started the purchase order on 4/1 (for personal and bank reasons I closed it on 4/17 that day 4/17 on the website of GC said that I would be delivered on 5/4, but finally I They delivered the 4/24, that is to say to the seven days.I still have not been able to open the boxes since I am out of my house for my holiday period, but next week will be the time.I do not see the time to play it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:51:18 PM by forofen »