Author Topic: Drum-tec Conversion for people in the U.S.A  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Khes74

Drum-tec Conversion for people in the U.S.A
« on: August 30, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
This technique mimics the Drum tec conversion. The Drum-tec conversion will increase the life on the pad and increase the overall feeling of the drum pads

What you need-

1/4" Sheet of Neoprane  or other foam 1/4 foam denser than 1.4. You could use slightly thicker sheets 3/8 also if you want to keep your mesh heads not as tight.

Scissors

Drum Key

A "steady hand"

Mesh Heads( I recommend Billy Blast II or Remo Silent Stroke)

The process

Step 1.  Remove current mylar head

Step 2. Cut the Neoprene/foam to the correct size using the  drum shell as the guide.

Step 3. Put the neoprene/foam on top of the stock foam and reflector plate.

Step 4. Put mesh head or mylar head(what-ever suits you) back on the head.

Q and A

Q- What don't I just buy the drum-tec conversion from the drum-tec website?

A. The drum-tec conversion(for people in the U.S.A) costs well over $200. A good amount of money can be saved by buying  materiel yourself. Also only single ply mesh heads are able to be shipped to the U.S.A. So less quality more money

Q- What is the difference between this and the Hellfire conversion?

A. The hellfire conversion is cheaper but requires soldering skills and the initial end result from the Hellfire has bouncier pads. Personally I prefer less bouncy pads to create a more realistic feel.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:08:22 PM by Khes74 »

Re: Drum-tec Conversion for people in the U.S.A
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
Good post, but just a few things:

1) Stay away from Billy Blast heads due to 12" size not fitting.
2) Drum-tec will ship to the US (singleply)
3) 1/4" speaker foam works great on all size heads: http://www.foambymail.com/CR.html $10

I def enjoy the simplicity of the drumtec offering, but at almost $300 it's insane!!

I spent $10 on the foam & $90 on Remo mesh heads for all 6 heads..
So for $100= full mesh conversion & the feel is very natural & sounds silent :)
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »
NEEDS CONFORMATION- 1/4" neoprane for 12" pads( I think that would be too high)

I don't have the 12" trigger pad, but why not just remove the 3mm EVA foam pad it comes with (that's on top of the plate) and just replace it with the 1/4" neoprene foam rubber? I would think that would just fit.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
NEEDS CONFORMATION- 1/4" neoprane for 12" pads( I think that would be too high)

I don't have the 12" trigger pad, but why not just remove the 3mm EVA foam pad it comes with (that's on top of the plate) and just replace it with the 1/4" neoprene foam rubber? I would think that would just fit.

It fits fine without removing the Eva foam, I slapped the 1/4" foam on top of the Eva foam. I did notice the Eva foam on the 12" pads are noticeably thinner than the 10" pads on the X kit.
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:

Offline Khes74

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
Billy Blast mesh heads and 682 don't fit because of the of the shell or the tension hoop- not the head. This is because Alesis 12" stock pad mylar heads don't fit quite right anyways, it's not the head- it's the rim or the shell.   Try using a BBII 12" on a normal 12" drum, it should be fine. I have  the speaker foam-your pads will feel  and sound like you are hitting bricks- like the stock configuration - assuming you put them on the top. The better bet is to use  3/4 or 5/8 inch HD-36 foam with 1/4" neoprane if you want to get closer to the traditional Drum-tec conversion. Remo silent stroke mesh-heads are 1ply therefore more bouncy then BBII and also will break easier.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
I tried few diff heads on the 12" pads, they all fit perfect including the stock Mylar... The prob is with the billy blast head rims, they are too thin, I went as far as putting the diff heads together & that was my findings.

The foam I posted above & Remo single ply heads are much softer & minimal bounce... Nothing like hitting bricks! It was/is a huge improvement over the stock configuration.

Again I'm speaking from personal experience from my brand new DM10X kit.

Now if I had the "studio" kit, I would've taken a diff approach.. Hellfire method w/ BBII heads are a perfect combo for those kits!

I was going for an even feel between the 12" shallow pads & the 10" toms that make up the "X" kit. Having 2 diff type of pads on the X kit (shallow & non-shallow), the method/head combo I went with worked flawless for the 'even feel' I wanted  8)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:30:03 PM by adrian97c »
Mods:
Sounds:

Offline Khes74

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
I tried few diff heads on the 12" pads, they all fit perfect including the stock Mylar... The prob is with the billy blast head rims, they are too thin, I went as far as putting the diff heads together & that was my findings.

The foam I posted above & Remo single ply heads are much softer & minimal bounce... Nothing like hitting bricks! It was/is a huge improvement over the stock configuration.

Again I'm speaking from personal experience from my brand new DM10X kit.

Now if I had the "studio" kit, I would've taken a diff approach.. Hellfire method w/ BBII heads are a perfect combo for those kits!

I was going for an even feel between the 12" shallow pads & the 10" toms that make up the "X" kit. Having 2 diff type of pads on the X kit (shallow & non-shallow), the method/head combo I went with worked flawless for the 'even feel' I wanted  8)

If the rims were too small you could of probably  a circle of EVA foam to make them thicker unless you mean too small in terms of length not height. There should be a way around it anyways.

I still doubt the Single Ply mesh heads have less bounce then the BBII because it's 1ply vs 3ply. Roland heads are bouncier for that reason from what I understand. I'm sure it's just the foam you are using. When I said I used that foam I meant I used Charcoal foam. Something called Oddesy Case foam which should be the same thing. I was using 1" inch of it instead of the stock black foam with the hole in the middle. Since you are not using 1" of it- only 1/4 + the stock black foam that's probably why it doesn't feel like hitting a brick. None the less it is still probably louder then using Neoprene foam. Which  should be softer and more dense. oh and yes $300(seriously, I thought it was like $100) is way too expensive for a conversion. Much cheaper to buy your own mesh heads and neoprene/ whatever foam you choose.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
Yup.. Love how many ways we can personalize these kits, for cheap!
Mods:
Sounds: