Author Topic: DM10X factory reset, now all kits are scrambled. (???)  (Read 4377 times)

DM10X factory reset, now all kits are scrambled. (???)
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
Well, I was having issues getting the crash 1 to choke, and since the kit is new (as of this week) I thought I would try a factory reset.
Man .... is that the wrong thing to do!!
Now all my kits are scrambled.
For example ... the first kit (000- Fusion) tom one pad is a chime and tom 2 pad, is a cowbell.
All the kits are scrambled like this, and even doing the different menu restores for triggers, kits and etc. under the guidance of the Alesis techician via phone, didn't do anything at all.

I see a couple other guys have had similar issues after doing a factory reset on the 10X, and am wondering if it's something just with the 10X and then possibly only some of them.
One guy had to get the DM10 module repalced, and the other didnlt follow up his status.
Has anybody done a sucsessful factory reset on a DM10X?

I'm guessing my module is (as the other guys said) .... fracked!  :(

Re: DM10X factory reset, now all kits are scrambled. (???)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »
I edited this follow-up to my above post in order to clarify some points.

Apparently when you do a 'factory reset' to a DM10X kit it defaults to a DM10 kit's triggers (evidently the Studio kit does this as well). 
The manual that comes with these kits is lacking the 'complete' instructions to accomplish the correct trigger resetting for them.

You need to Press Utility.
Press F4 (SYS).
Press F2 (INIT).
Then highlight the "All Triggers" ..... "THEN ALSO" use the Value/Tempo knob to reveal the DM10X kit highlighted (it's hidden until you use the V/T knob to reveal it)
*Note: for the Studio kit you need to highlight the Studio Triggers.
Press F4 (EXEC).
Press F1 to answer yes to the question about resetting the triggers.
Press Drum Kit.

Once you've reinitialize the triggers to the DM10X kit this way, it will all go back to original DM10X trigger operation, with all the 100 original kits working properly.

Unfortunately the manual for the DM10X (and I assume the DM10 Studio) doesn't mention these extra steps to get to the DM10X's /Studio's original triggers.
To find these instructions (that I have included above) you need to go to the Alesis download site for the firmware upgrade to the 10X/Studio kit and follow the instructions for your 10X/Studio kit's trigger resetting, and it will correct the triggers for all of the 100 kits for your 10X/Studio kit.
You don't need to update (but should if not current), you just need to follow the trigger resetting notes in the doc file that is part of the update download.

When I called the Tech at Alesis, he didn't have me use the V/T knob to select the DM10X triggers, so he was just having me repeat what a factory reset does to the 10X triggers (setting them to the DM10 settings) all over again, so evidently the Technician's trouble shooting flow chart also lacks the details for the 10X/Studio trigger resetting.
So, when that failed to correct the problem (and at his instruction) I was ready to do a reload of the Sound ROM V1.03, but after downloading it and reading it's doc file's instructions for updating the 10X, I saw the specific note about how to get to, and set the proper 10X triggers.
I emailed the tech back and let him know about the extra steps so hopefully he has added that to his TS flow chart.

Alesis really needs to make this an addendum to the 10X/Studio manual, and/or put a notice on the support web site fo0r the 10X/Studio titled "Special Instructions for resetting triggers for DM10X and Studio kits, after doing a factory reset".
If you aren't aware of the hidden selections, or the need to use them, it's a "go fish" experience ........
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:57:40 PM by Flyer91 »

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Good to know. Thanks!

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
I'm guessing that the kits weren't scrambled at all, but that you had a lot of crosstalk, where the rim would trigger instead of the head. Try hitting the rims, and you'll hear the exact same sounds.
And yes - it helps a lot to get a good start for tweaking the trigger settings by resetting the triggers to the correct kit setup. :)

For more advice for setting the trigger settings - see the xtalk thread in the Drum Modules sub forum.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
Great info.  Quick question.  I'm purchasing a 3 month old kit.  The seller upgraded the stock heads to 682 mesh drum heads.  When updating the module and trigger firmware, do I now select DM10X mesh kit?  Or use DM10X?  Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Offline Sal

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but chose the DM10X, not the Mesh. Those settings are set for Alesis's Mesh setup, not a 3rd party setup.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »
I would try both the original and the mesh setting. See which one plays the best for you.
JimmyB