Author Topic: Setting up cymbal chokes on Alesis Command Kit and Addictive Drums 2  (Read 4363 times)

Hi,
 I'm setting up my Alesis Command Kit with Addictive Drums 2 and everything is working well, except I'm running into a wall with the cymbal chokes. I just have not been able to get Addictive Drums 2 to see the chokes. Does anyone know if the Alesis Command Module actually sends midi information out for the cymbal chokes?

Thanks

Offline Chaser

Re: Setting up cymbal chokes on Alesis Command Kit and Addictive Drums 2
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
Hi,
 I'm setting up my Alesis Command Kit with Addictive Drums 2 and everything is working well, except I'm running into a wall with the cymbal chokes. I just have not been able to get Addictive Drums 2 to see the chokes. Does anyone know if the Alesis Command Module actually sends midi information out for the cymbal chokes?

Thanks

Do you have the Command Kit or the Command X Kit ?..

What are the differences between the Alesis Command Kit and the Alesis Command X Kit?

The Command X Kit uses the same responsive mesh heads, module and hardware as the original Command Kit but also includes an additional cymbal with choke functionality. The Command X Kit also features red appointments on the snare, toms, kick drum stand, and cymbal pads.

http://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2166

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
I have the original Command Kit. I have added an additional 11" tom and a 14" ride that is configured as a single-zone w/choke. I am using the original 10" ride as the second crash. I have also added a Tama Iron Cobra double-kick pedal just for good measure.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 05:56:05 PM »
I have the original Command Kit. I have added an additional 11" tom and a 14" ride that is configured as a single-zone w/choke. I am using the original 10" ride as the second crash. I have also added a Tama Iron Cobra double-kick pedal just for good measure.

Which map are you using in AD2?

Have you gone into map window and checked the cymbal chokes ?..or tried the cymbal choke learn?
There is also a midi monitor showing the note being received.
You may just need to reassign or learn midi notes.

According to the DM10 map in AD2..
  Ride    1 choke is 26
  Ride    2 choke    ... I did not see a note...but shows learn-able
Cymbal 1 choke is 34
Cymbal 2 choke is 80
Cymbal 3 choke is 82

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 08:34:52 PM »
Which map are you using in AD2?

Have you gone into map window and checked the cymbal chokes ?..or tried the cymbal choke learn?
There is also a midi monitor showing the note being received.
You may just need to reassign or learn midi notes.

According to the DM10 map in AD2..
  Ride    1 choke is 26
  Ride    2 choke    ... I did not see a note...but shows learn-able
Cymbal 1 choke is 34
Cymbal 2 choke is 80

Thanks for the reply!
I used the DM10 map in AD2 as the map template, then used the learn function to map the set to the Command configuration. I made sure the cymbal chokes were selected on the Cymbal Chokes Tab of the AD2 map window. I also tried the learn function for the chokes. Nothing worked. I the went into the trigger settings on the Command Module and changed the Edge settings to correspond with the above midi note values. Tried that and also the learn functions again. Still nothing.

The manual shows the default midi note values for the Command module as:

Ride Bow is 51
  Ride Edge is 59
  Ride Bell is 53
  Crash 1 is 49
  Crash 1 (edge) is 55
  Crash 2 is 57
  Crash 2 (edge) is 52
There are no values for the chokes.

I'm beginning to believe that the Command module does not send midi note messages for the chokes. Also, all cymbals are single-zone w/chokes except that the Hi-Hat is single-zone without choke. The chokes work great when using the sounds from the Command module. It's hard for me to relate that Alesis would have chokable cymbals but not have the corresponding midi information. I must be missing something. I'll keep trying.
Thanks!