Author Topic: Recording on PC  (Read 1448 times)

Recording on PC
« on: November 11, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
OK I know there has been alot of this here but excuse my ignorance could someone help me out on steps to do the following:

I have Alesis DM10 Kit'
I have a Dell Win 10 PC WITHOUT a mic in jack
I want to record my drumming WITH a playing song(from Sonic) using Audacity?
I know it will have to be done through USB but dont know how, I've been researching and want to make sure that I do not go out and purchase something I do not need

Thanks
Mitch

Offline Failed Muso

Re: Recording on PC
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
OK I know there has been alot of this here but excuse my ignorance could someone help me out on steps to do the following:

I have Alesis DM10 Kit'
I have a Dell Win 10 PC WITHOUT a mic in jack
I want to record my drumming WITH a playing song(from Sonic) using Audacity?
I know it will have to be done through USB but dont know how, I've been researching and want to make sure that I do not go out and purchase something I do not need

Thanks
Mitch

If you want to record the audio output from your DM10 into a PC without a built in audio input, you're going to need to get hold of an external audio interface that connects to the PC via USB. You can then plug the audio outputs of the DM10 into the audio inputs of the audio interface, select the audio interface as your input within Audacity and record. You would probably be better off feeding the song you want to playback to through the DM10's audio input and let the module do all the mixing.

The USB socket on the DM10 is data/MIDI only, not audio.

A decent USB audio interface can be picked up for under £100/$100. Budget models from brands like Behringer are passable, but something from the likes of M-Audio or even Alesis will be a bit better.

This link should give you some ideas...

http://www.gear4music.com/Audio-Interfaces.html

Hope that helps.
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2