Author Topic: Pearl Redbox on DM10 I succeeded!!!  (Read 4066 times)

Pearl Redbox on DM10 I succeeded!!!
« on: November 08, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
Hi everyone I bought a DM10 and tried to update with Redbox V2 Firmware.

It was easy with C6 SysEx Manager and I was able to update.

I suggest you can use this page:
https://www.redboxsoundshop.com/redbox-v2-firmware.html

Offline Failed Muso

Re: Pearl Redbox on DM10 I succeeded!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:22:23 AM »
Hi everyone I bought a DM10 and tried to update with Redbox V2 Firmware.

It was easy with C6 SysEx Manager and I was able to update.

I suggest you can use this page:
https://www.redboxsoundshop.com/redbox-v2-firmware.html

VERY interesting! Thanks for the heads up. Any chance of a demo video showing how the DM10 now operates and also the quality and variety of new sounds?

One question though. Is it possible to go back to the Alesis firmware at any time or is this a one way journey?
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
Wow, this is most interesting. I do imagine you could simply back up your DM10 sysex and reinstall if you want to go back to Alesis trigger/kit setups.

What about the hi-hat? Did you try their EHH-2 Tru-Trac software? (I wonder if it's any better/different from the Alesis Pro-X settings). And the Vibetastic V2 custom expansion 25 kits.. do you think that would be like Bluejay where it would be all you get and it overwrites the standard kits and settings?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
That Pearl Redbox file is nothing more than a kit tweak file. You are NOT installing true REDbox firmware or sounds into your DM10. I doubt that your upload was truly 100% effective.

Some of the sounds in the REDbox are named differently (or don't exist) in your DM10 and the DM10 would have just ignored those settings that didn't match. Meaning the DM10 would have just kept what ever was default on those particular kits locations. I'm not saying it was a total fail. I'm sure some of your DM10 was "changed", but without a REDbox next to you to compare, you will never know what truly worked and what didn't.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:35:25 AM »
Hi, that's what I've got switching on DM10 module.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 08:23:27 AM »

I'm truly surprised. That file was only 233 Kbytes (which is typical of a kit program). Maybe it's just a custom splash screen? I'm sorry but 233 Kbytes isn't enough for a true firmware. Admittedly I'm very shocked your DM10 starts up that way after you installed that very small program. You may have stumbled on something with big potential. I may have to play around with this myself.

Keep in mind however you still do not have the base sound set of the REDbox. That file is 59 MB. (found at the bottom of the page in the link you posted earlier). So I still doubt you are truly 100% REDbox compliant. Still a big find however!

Thank you very much for sharing this information with the forum.

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »

I'm truly surprised. That file was only 233 Kbytes (which is typical of a kit program). Maybe it's just a custom splash screen? I'm sorry but 233 Kbytes isn't enough for a true firmware. Admittedly I'm very shocked your DM10 starts up that way after you installed that very small program. You may have stumbled on something with big potential. I may have to play around with this myself.

Keep in mind however you still do not have the base sound set of the REDbox. That file is 59 MB. (found at the bottom of the page in the link you posted earlier). So I still doubt you are truly 100% REDbox compliant. Still a big find however!

What's the deal with flashing the DM10 in respect of regression? If one was to attempt this, and it failed, could you revert back to the Alesis firmware easily?
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »

What's the deal with flashing the DM10 in respect of regression? If one was to attempt this, and it failed, could you revert back to the Alesis firmware easily?

That's the sticking point right now. I don't know if this REDbox file really changes the DM10 to think it's a REDbox and if it does I don't know how to make it a DM10 again. I'm wondering if this is a one way deal.

I hesitate to say this because I do not want to be responsible for anyone who screws up their module. If you decide to do anything that is suggested in my post about this topic, it is on you and you alone. That is the up front warning.

With that said, I'm wondering if once the small update file in uploaded to the DM10 and it now thinks it's a REDbox, if installing the 59 MB standard file would then make the DM10 truly a REDbox. That's assuming the base REDbox sound set can be recognized by the DM10.

Here's the thing, The REDbox interface looks different than the DM10. If you can make the screen look like the REDbox then I guess it's now a REDbox. Note the differences in the picture of the two screens.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »

Do you have a picture of your kit screen (after the DM10 starts up)?

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
That's the sticking point right now. I don't know if this REDbox file really changes the DM10 to think it's a REDbox and if it does I don't know how to make it a DM10 again. I'm wondering if this is a one way deal.

I hesitate to say this because I do not want to be responsible for anyone who screws up their module. If you decide to do anything that is suggested in my post about this topic, it is on you and you alone. That is the up front warning.

With that said, I'm wondering if once the small update file in uploaded to the DM10 and it now thinks it's a REDbox, if installing the 59 MB standard file would then make the DM10 truly a REDbox. That's assuming the base REDbox sound set can be recognized by the DM10.

Here's the thing, The REDbox interface looks different than the DM10. If you can make the screen look like the REDbox then I guess it's now a REDbox. Note the differences in the picture of the two screens.

I have absolutely no intention of attempting this unless I have firm guarantees that it won't brick my DM10 ;) Hence my questions!

But, as you say, it will be interesting to know what's going on here and if this is another option for DM10 owners now that Alesis has abandoned us.

I will continue to monitor the situation ;)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 09:38:03 PM »
I could NOT get this to work. My DM10 doesn't even recognize the REDbox file. My DM10 just sits at the "MIDI RESTORE Waiting…" I'm using a Mac with SysEx Librarian.

@ mazzinga: I'm guessing you modified the "redbox-v2-firmware.syx" file in some way to get the module to see the it?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:40:06 PM »
That Pearl Redbox file is nothing more than a kit tweak file. You are NOT installing true REDbox firmware or sounds into your DM10. I doubt that your upload was truly 100% effective.

Some of the sounds in the REDbox are named differently (or don't exist) in your DM10 and the DM10 would have just ignored those settings that didn't match. Meaning the DM10 would have just kept what ever was default on those particular kits locations. I'm not saying it was a total fail. I'm sure some of your DM10 was "changed", but without a REDbox next to you to compare, you will never know what truly worked and what didn't.

I wonder what instrument sounds would be included (or missing) in Kits 100 to 150 after loading the Redbox V2 Sysex file. Maybe only instrument sounds with similar names as those in the DM10 sound set would be evident in those kits.

HF, I'm interested in your comment about the DM10 ignoring kit/instrument settings that don't match. I'd expect any empty kits (like #100 to #199) in a Sysex file would overwrite user kit settings in the same range. But if not, would it be worth trying to create a Sysex file for sharing user kits in say the #150 to #199 range and with all other kits (#000 to #149) having no effective instrument settings? (hope that makes sense)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:44:57 PM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »

I wonder what instrument sounds would be included (or missing) in Kits 100 to 150 after loading the Redbox V2 Sysex file. Maybe only instrument sounds with similar names as those in the DM10 sound set would be evident in those kits.

HF, I'm interested in your comment about the DM10 ignoring kit/instrument settings that don't match. I'd expect any empty kits (like #100 to #199) in a Sysex file would overwrite user kit settings in the same range. But if not, would it be possible to create a Sysex file for sharing user kits in say the #150 to #199 range and with all other kits (#000 to #149) having no effective instrument settings? (hope that makes sense)

A 233 Kbyte file will have no sounds in it. It's too small. The REDbox (if I remember correctly) has slightly less sounds in it than the DM10.

Again, I can't get this to work. I just tried on my mac and no go. The header in the file is all wrong for the DM10 to recognize it. I'm starting to question if this is a hoax or if he modified the .syx file before he uploaded it. To be honest his picture is quite fuzzy and looks like a stock image of a newer DM10.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 10:08:47 PM »

HF, I'm interested in your comment about the DM10 ignoring kit/instrument settings that don't match. I'd expect any empty kits (like #100 to #199) in a Sysex file would overwrite user kit settings in the same range. But if not, would it be possible to create a Sysex file for sharing user kits in say the #150 to #199 range and with all other kits (#000 to #149) having no effective instrument settings? (hope that makes sense)

A 233 Kbyte file will have no sounds in it. It's too small. The REDbox (if I remember correctly) has slightly less sounds in it than the DM10.

Yeah, I assumed it's only a Kit file and perhaps mazzinga can confirm if there are many missing sounds in Kits #100 to #150 after loading the Redbox v2 Sysex file.

Also, maybe there's a way to share DM10 kits by creating a template Sysex file with mostly 'blank/dummy' kits that don't overwrite existing preset or user kits settings. Although DMEditor could be an easier option.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:46:13 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 03:44:05 AM »
Hi everyone I also load this sys file:
https://www.redboxsoundshop.com/support-assets/default-soundset.zip (about 100MB)

The problem is that I cannot say if sounds are different from DM10 ones.

I'll try to restore DM10 files and let you know.
cheers
PS: I did not modify any sys file and I used Win C6 SysEx Manager to load files
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:47:35 AM by mazzinga »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »
Hi mazzinga,
I assume you can select up to 150 kits and before you try restoring the DM10 files can you check if all of the snare instruments listed in the RBM-20 manual (p38) are available in the EDIT> DRUM/LAYER>INST (F1) menu when scrolling through them. It would confirm you can access about 30 different snare sounds listed in the Redbox manual that aren't included in the DM10 list.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 06:58:45 AM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »
Hi everyone I also load this sys file:
https://www.redboxsoundshop.com/support-assets/default-soundset.zip (about 100MB)

How did you load this?????
This is a sound file which means you have to use the Pearl or Alesis updater program. This will not load using a SyxEx Manager program.

I'm sorry, but I'm unable to get this to work in my DM10.

I've tried using the Pearl Switcher app - No go. The app doesn't see my DM10
I've tried using the Alesis DM10 Updater app - No go. My DM10 doesn't recognize the REDbox "sound_rom-V1.02h.syx" file. The screen just states "Waiting USB…"

You are so vague with your posts on how you did it that it's impossible to duplicate base on what you have written so far.  It would be much appreciated if you would tell us how you did it and in what order of steps you did it in.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »
Okay I just tried this again on a PC running C6 SysEx Manager and….wait for it….

NOTHING

@ mazzinga:
I'm sorry but at this point I don't believe you really got the REDbox software to work on a DM10. I tried many different ways to make this work and in the end the REDbox files are just not compatible with a DM10. Until I see a step by step of how you did this and I can confirm it myself, I don't believe you really made this work (at least as easily as you say it does). I will gladly say I'm wrong if you post your process and I can make my DM10 act like a REDbox. I will even take a picture of my start-up screen to show it works, but right now I just don't believe this works.

I look forward to your response.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »

Your picture is FAKE! I just confirmed it. For the rest of the community here is the proof:

I found the image with a quick google search (first image). I then overlaid the FAKE image on top of it (second image). I can use photoshop to make my DM10 module run REDbox software too.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:38:20 AM by Hellfire »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
Busted! hahaha
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
I don't get it. What's the motivation for anyone to go to lengths to say that we can flash the DM10 with Redbox firmware? What is there to gain?
Yamaha DTXtreme III with DIY drum pads

Offline AlanK

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
I don't get it. What's the motivation for anyone to go to lengths to say that we can flash the DM10 with Redbox firmware? What is there to gain?

15 minutes of fame   ::)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
Sorry to encounter this thread lately, but i can remember that we were discussing the compatibility of r.e.d.box OS/soundfiles and the DM10 a while ago and came to the conclusion that during the order process of r.e.d.box soundfiles Alesis and Pearl are checking the serial numbers of their modules to separate them to the matching brand and OS. That's why you'll get a matching version of the soundfiles *after* telling them your serial number and why the updater software's first action is the "Get" sysex command for the internal id (which is different for DM10 and r.e.d.box).

Online Hellfire

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
Sorry to encounter this thread lately, but i can remember that we were discussing the compatibility of r.e.d.box OS/soundfiles and the DM10 a while ago and came to the conclusion that during the order process of r.e.d.box soundfiles Alesis and Pearl are checking the serial numbers of their modules to separate them to the matching brand and OS. That's why you'll get a matching version of the soundfiles *after* telling them your serial number and why the updater software's first action is the "Get" sysex command for the internal id (which is different for DM10 and r.e.d.box).

I remember something like that too. Since I know it is possible to have REDbox software on a DM10 (which happened by accident couple times early in the REDbox life I think if you search the forum you can find those posts) I thought maybe there was a loop hole that he exploited to "trick" his DM10. After running a few tests (which I expected would fail) I knew it wouldn't work, and of course they didn't work.

I looked back at his photo and it look familiar to me. A quick search and I found it.

@ mazzinga: Again, I will gladly take it all back if you can post your process and it can easily be duplicated by me or any other member.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »

Yeah mazzinga you've succeeded in causing some temporary confusion, kinda like an audacious tycoon having a personality transplant.

It was intriguing how you could have loaded the Redbox sound set using just the C6 SysEx Manager! 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 10:58:07 PM by rhysT »