Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183505 times)

Offline Dobly

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #800 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
Can we tell yet looking at these videos any more about the Hi Hat? Looks single zone to me but I hope i am wrong. He tends avoid the hats in his demo solos were he spends way way too much time playing with toy sounds that nobody will ever other than showing off the kit to family and friends.

Then, when he talks about the cymbals he says "3 zone ride Cymbal, three dual zone crashes and the 'hi hat' which is 'movable'. ".
Whatever that means. Does that mean that the other cymbals are not movable?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #801 on: January 23, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »
Can we tell yet looking at these videos any more about the Hi Hat? Looks single zone to me but I hope i am wrong. He tends avoid the hats in his demo solos were he spends way way too much time playing with toy sounds that nobody will ever other than showing off the kit to family and friends.
It does give the impression that the Hi-hat is single zone. All of their (meaning alesis) advertising states dual zone. If I had to guess, I would say they are not done yet programing the dual zone hats. A lot of people have bought this kit with the understanding that it comes with dual zone hi-hats. For them not to include dual zone hats, that would be considered "False Advertising". They know this.

Then, when he talks about the cymbals he says "3 zone ride Cymbal, three dual zone crashes and the 'hi hat' which is 'movable'. ".
Whatever that means. Does that mean that the other cymbals are not movable?

Okay I think you are stretching now. Look I get it, you want to see dual zone hats but don't start trying to find other problems through bad wording. It is obvious he means a hi-hat trigger that mounts to a real hi-hat stand and moves up and down like a real hi-hat. This still is not a standard function for Alesis edrum kits and they have never offered a "Pro" like hi-hat standard with any kit. Yes, they do have a Pro like hi-hat for the DM10, but it is only offered as a stand alone upgrade and isn't include in any standard kit configuration.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #802 on: January 23, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
Okay I think you are stretching now. Look I get it, you want to see dual zone hats but don't start trying to find other problems through bad wording. It is obvious he means a hi-hat trigger that mounts to a real hi-hat stand and moves up and down like a real hi-hat. This still is not a standard function for Alesis edrum kits and they have never offered a "Pro" like hi-hat standard with any kit. Yes, they do have a Pro like hi-hat for the DM10, but it is only offered as a stand alone upgrade and isn't include in any standard kit configuration.

Bad wording is an understatement. I can 'move' the hi hat on my DM10 kit, up, down, left right and to the other side of the rack if I wish. The hat and pedal on my DM10 is two parts and therefore far more 'movable' that any hats on a stand.  I really did not see movable as meaning 'on a hi had stand'. My bad I guess. But to say a hi hat is movable is a moot point when single or dual zone is far more important.

I'm not trying to find problems. I'm trying to glean facts. Find out what others know in case I missed it.  Will be interesting to see if it ships with a dual zone hats as advertised.  Fingers crossed.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #803 on: January 24, 2017, 12:51:33 AM »

It does give the impression that the Hi-hat is single zone. All of their (meaning alesis) advertising states dual zone. If I had to guess, I would say they are not done yet programing the dual zone hats. A lot of people have bought this kit with the understanding that it comes with dual zone hi-hats. For them not to include dual zone hats, that would be considered "False Advertising". They know this.

Some of the DM10 Hihat sounds (like Heavy-2 and Z60sNB15") apparently include velocity layer/s that produce a distinct edge sound when I hit my HH cymbal near the rubber mid-section edge.
Maybe Alesis have included similar velocity switching between bow and edge sounds with the Strike module.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:09:15 AM by rhysT »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #804 on: January 24, 2017, 12:54:27 AM »
one person told to Jman at winter namm, it's dual zone hihat.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #805 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »
Some of the DM10 Hihat sounds (like Heavy-2 and Z60sNB15") apparently include velocity layer/s that produce a distinct edge sound when I hit my HH cymbal near the rubber mid-section edge.
Maybe Alesis have included similar velocity switching between bow and edge sounds with the Strike module.

That's because the dual zone sounds exist in the DM10 as Alesis had planned for dual zone hats originally (there is even a midi note for the edge sound in the DM10). They never advertised this with the DM10 because in the end they didn't give the end user direct access to the edge sound. The only way to hear it is via a Midi trick. Keep in mind Alesis always stated the DM10 as single zone hats.

As for the Strike, Alesis has stated that the hi-hat trigger is dual zone (again, the trigger itself). Which means if it ends up like the DM10 it's "False Advertising".

Offline rhysT

« Reply #806 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
As for the Strike, Alesis has stated that the hi-hat trigger is dual zone (again, the trigger itself). Which means if it ends up like the DM10 it's "False Advertising".

Thanks for the DM10 hi-hat info and I'm a bit concerned that TTR didn't demo much variety with the Strike hi-hat sound transitions.
I wonder if some of the "all new" 1600 multi-sampled instruments may be similar to DM10 cymbal sounds for more efficient kit loading?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:32:46 AM by rhysT »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #807 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »

Well alesis told Jman its dual zone at winter namm, its really have to be dual zone or this will be total lie.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #808 on: January 24, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
one error, snare are the same size for both model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P5iNmJ2zAU

Online Hellfire

« Reply #809 on: January 25, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »

Thanks for the DM10 hi-hat info and I'm a bit concerned that TTR didn't demo much variety with the Strike hi-hat sound transitions.
I wonder if some of the "all new" 1600 multi-sampled instruments may be similar to DM10 cymbal sounds for more efficient kit loading?

Well, I didn't want to give my opinion about the Strikes cymbal sounds because I thought people might go nuts, but since you mentioned it…

When I listen to the video of the Strike module the cymbal sounds (minus the china) sound a lot like the DM10 cymbal sounds. Even the hats sound very similar to me. I can tell that the decay of the cymbals is short (like the DM10), but I assume this is to save space for other sounds. Letting cymbals decay a long time take up a lot of space and to be honest in a live situation the audience will not notice the short decay of the cymbals. This is do to the natural ambient sound of the rest of the band when playing.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #810 on: January 25, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »

Well, I didn't want to give my opinion about the Strikes cymbal sounds because I thought people might go nuts, but since you mentioned it…
When I listen to the video of the Strike module the cymbal sounds (minus the china) sound a lot like the DM10 cymbal sounds

With the imported sound, people should not go nuts, ok maybe not all do these trick, it require patience and time to imports stuff,  usual cymbal in ALL roland module use 3 layers max, I never see the use of many layers with crash, either ride, 4 layers is plenty enough for 8 sec each, its the toms and snare the most complicated case, these require more layers with round robin, hihat as well but a bit less then snare and toms, this kits will sell more then all Roland kits\ Yamaha kits, hands down, unless there is real issue with module reliability or others things which I doubt, market changed now, and for those who will want better module they will get mimic instead of Roland, lower cost\ sound better\ more pad compatibility, others will take serious hit, with strike kits and mimic release.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:41:27 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Sam

« Reply #811 on: January 26, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »
hi hats sound like shit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeueMWjA8xo
Alesis DM8 Pro, 682Drums Mesh Heads, Addictive Drums, Zildjian Gen16 hi-hats

Offline ChrisK

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #813 on: January 27, 2017, 01:05:56 AM »
Most funniest video from Tim Root I saw, he forgot he had a mic lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LerQF4J2UU

Offline Sam

« Reply #814 on: January 27, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »

Yet again he glosses over the hi-hat and only refers to it a a "moveable hi-hat".
Alesis DM8 Pro, 682Drums Mesh Heads, Addictive Drums, Zildjian Gen16 hi-hats

Online Hellfire

« Reply #815 on: January 27, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »

Yet again he glosses over the hi-hat and only refers to it a a "moveable hi-hat".

If you look at the Strike screen you can see the "zones". The hi-hat looks to have two (edge and bow). It's a little hard to see but look at the attached pic and you can see how the display shows the different zones on the triggers.

Note: The drum triggers look like single zone, but that is only because of the camera was not sitting still while looking at the Strike screen. They too are dual zone.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #816 on: January 27, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »
hihat are dual zone, are yes stated at Winter Namm as dual zone from people reports.

Market changed In Canada:
Alesis 2200$ Strike\2700$ pro + 15% tax
Roland Td-50 6500$\10,000$ + 15% tax

Roland is 3x more expensive.

Td-50 Module 3300+ 15%
Strike module should cost: 1200+15% tax
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:36:19 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #817 on: January 27, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »
hihat are dual zone, are yes stated at Winter Namm as dual zone from people reports.

Well that is good to hear but it makes me wonder why we need to speculate. Why did he not say it while boasting about the 3 come ride and dual zone crashes.

Can someone who  is there walk up and ask him?? And suggest he demos the hats with some solid grooves.

« Reply #818 on: January 27, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »
Can someone who  is there walk up and ask him?? And suggest he demos the hats with some solid grooves.

Have him do an old "disco" beat!! LOL

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #819 on: January 27, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
you did not see the picture from HELFIRE above? it's proof they are dual zone as others cymbals
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:26:30 AM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #820 on: January 27, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »

Just so you know, NAMM is over. All these video were made between Jan 19th and Jan 21nd. It is only a three day event.

Offline eratz

« Reply #821 on: January 27, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »
That's a real nice display.... But what about when I add extra cymbals, maybe a side snare or an extra rack tom?  Will the display adapt and add the extra triggers and the user can place it on the "kit display"?

:o
DM10X, Trigger I/O, Billy Blast II Ballistech Heads, Dampened Rack, Custom Tennis Ball Isolation Riser, Simmons DA200S,  Scarlett 2i2, Roland BT-1, Pintech Dingbats x2, DW 3000 Double Pedal, Extra Alesis Ride, Additional Alesis Crash cymbals, Roc-n-Soc Drum Throne.

"Hit 'em hard and hit 'em often

Offline Dobly

« Reply #822 on: January 28, 2017, 09:05:48 AM »
Just so you know, NAMM is over. All these video were made between Jan 19th and Jan 21nd. It is only a three day event.

I see. And nobody asked for a definitive answer to the question, are the hats dual zone?  Sigh.  I know is written as such, but I will not believe it till i see it. And if it is so, why on earth did he not demo it (and why didn't they get a star drummer to demo the kit?)

« Reply #823 on: January 28, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »
Hopefully it is just the demonstrator and not the kit that is utterly shite. Sounded like the dm10, but looks like a 10k kit. Pearl did a smart thing on putting a good drummer behind the sticks for demonstration.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #824 on: January 28, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
Now the big question is, when will all the documentation be available for people to look at? Bring on the manuals.

On a side note: I have a feeling the editor software will not be available when the kit is first released. Alesis never did a demo of that and I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a "DM10 sound set" debacle. You know, basically where they release a software editor but it can't do hardly anything other than some stupid single shot uploads just so they can say "hey, we put out an editor".

Alesis, you wowed us with the Strike Pro Kit, please wow us with the editor as well.