Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2020 times)

Introduction
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »
Hi all you DM Drummers. I just wanted to give a polite hello from a newly interested member. I Got a tip from one of your members (Hellfire) on another forum and decided to give it a go here as well. Can't hurt...
(Some of this is copy and paste from the other forum but still applies. Sorry to whoever has to see it twice.) My interest in drumming started as a young man (about 11?) trying to get into playing the drums with some encouragement from my dad. He wasn't a drummer at the time but was in a small surfer type band in high school. I wanted to play in the marching band because I always loved hearing them practice playing and marching up and down the back streets in our small sierra Nevada town. I would walk along side the drum line and try to keep in step... I liked rock music and of course had aspirations of playing like Neil Peart someday but figured the marching band could be a good start. The teacher for the marching band was a prune and for some reason hated me and continually picked on me to try and demonstrate things I wasn't yet comfortable playing in the middle of class. For me this made music suck! I was also an athlete and related much better to several sports I was involved with so I headed in another direction in my free time leaving behind something I knew deep inside I had an interest in. At one point before I decided to quit the marching band my dad bought me a gold flake Ludwig 7 piece acoustic set that I still have pictures of me playing in our spare room. Wish I had held onto it... I played it as a recreational thing and one of the first songs my dad taught me was wipe out which I would play for friends when they were over at our house.
A couple of years ago my son was telling me about this game called Rock Band and at first I thought it would be a dorky, not anything skill full game that anyone could get the hang of and play. That's true in my opinion but if you play on the higher difficulties there is a great amount of coordination necessary and once I started playing at the higher levels I felt that desire to be a percussionist reignited. I had the same apprehensions as others that the game is extremely limited and the drum set is simplified but it was a bridge for me to get the interest and belief back in myself. Whenever my son is playing or even when his friends are over they want me to play along with them on drums for a few songs because I am the best of the group and that is encouraging as most of them and myself couldn't understand how I can play so well.
I have a friend at work that is a musician (vocals, guitar and bass guitar) that is encouraging me to try real drums as he knows the a fore mentioned story. He has been in a few bands and is older now so doesn't have as much time for a band but would like someone to jam with from time to time along with some of our other co-workers. I have an old Yamaha 7 pad in one box with the modded Iron Cobra double foot pedal I made for rock band because the foot pedal for the game blows. I bring that in from time to time and the others bring their instruments and we make noise together but I realize that my skill level without knowing many songs and not having the rock band hand holding video guidance brings my inferiority into the spotlight often. It's ok though because I have a blast and they don't mind.
I am ready with the capitol to start to invest in my long lost dream... This is my first stop. So here I am with my goofy edrum and my goofy rock band experience without a clue how to be a real drummer but ready to learn if you would be so kind.
My restrictions are like many: space and sound concerns as I live in a flat style home in Phoenix so I am considering the electronic drum option.
Again, hello and let me know what you think of my introduction. Any questions are welcome.

Card

Offline Guinness

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
That was one helluva introduction.  I think the only thing we are missing is your best friend in kindergarden's name and your blood type.   ;D

My story is simlar in many ways.   It is fun getting back into drumming, and Im' really enjoying edrums.  I like accoustic alot for many reasons, but accoustic has it's own shortcommings... decibles, cost, space, tuning, etc...

So, what are you looking to do?  Purchase an edrum kit?  Which ones are you looking at?  You'll get some good advice here and in other forums (vdrums, edrumforum, etc...).

Welcome to DMDrummer.   :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »
Welcome aboard Card! I'm glad you found your way here.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcoms guys. Guiness-you have the same name as my favorite beer only to occasionally be mixed with my second favorite Bass Ale. Hellfire - you know why I'm here because I see the comparison I wish to make is not much of a comparison at all. Money talks... I don't think the DM10 is lacking much compared to the cost in fact seems to be more diverse but I'm here for the facts.

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »
A belated 'welcome here' even from me!  :)
Thanks for your lenghty intro; always great to meet another drums enthusiast.
See you around, enjoy!