Author Topic: Giday from a Kiwi in Canada  (Read 2735 times)

Giday from a Kiwi in Canada
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
howit guys and girls
Name is radman, played acoustic drums about 20 years ago in bands pub's and clubs in new zealand, started out playing country with the local club  "the country westerner's" in new plymouth NZ when i was 18 and even tho we were fully booked at the time, it wasn't my passion to be playing country, stopped playing for a while untill i was about 22, moved to my home town of Napier started up a little band called "out of aces", played with some great up and coming talented mucisions doin my best to keep up with them, playing everything from metallica to counting crows and so on and so on, "the ballards  from the hair bands were quite the scene then. I had a 7 piece pearl export at the time, im not that great a drumer hold a beat do a few fills etc, gave it up when other interests came more prominent like getting a real job, i work in the IT industry now,  so after 20 years break and a wife and kid and being that im into IT i figured that a set of e-drums would  be the answer, so i here i am 2.5 months down the track waiting on my alesis studio kit and waiting to give these newfies who can all play guitar a little  bit of a percussion corner, thats it for now, cheers m8's :)
Alesis DM 10 studio, DW3000 double kick, Alesis 6 ch mix, Pearl Speed Beat throne, Alesis 50watt Transactive Drumer Amp, Shure WH20 Dynamic Headset Microphone.

Offline Hellfire

Re: Giday from a Kiwi in Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:13:30 PM »
howit guys and girls
Name is radman, played acoustic drums about 20 years ago in bands pub's and clubs in new zealand, started out playing country with the local club  "the country westerner's" in new plymouth NZ when i was 18 and even tho we were fully booked at the time, it wasn't my passion to be playing country, stopped playing for a while untill i was about 22, moved to my home town of Napier started up a little band called "out of aces", played with some great up and coming talented mucisions doin my best to keep up with them, playing everything from metallica to counting crows and so on and so on, "the ballards  from the hair bands were quite the scene then. I had a 7 piece pearl export at the time, im not that great a drumer hold a beat do a few fills etc, gave it up when other interests came more prominent like getting a real job, i work in the IT industry now,  so after 20 years break and a wife and kid and being that im into IT i figured that a set of e-drums would  be the answer, so i here i am 2.5 months down the track waiting on my alesis studio kit and waiting to give these newfies who can all play guitar a little  bit of a percussion corner, thats it for now, cheers m8's :)
Welcome aboard radman!

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:01:25 PM »
nice intro, welcome and welcome back!
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Welcome Kiwi, errr, I mean radman.   ;D

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »
Hey Radman, welcome aboard...

What is it about working in IT that correlates to bashing drums?

For me at least, I tend to keep a beat going all day long with my head and the keyboard.. ;)

Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
Oh, that little comic is GROSS dude... :o

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline Pier

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:04:24 AM »
Hi Radman, welcome to the fold -- very nice company here!
Hope you'll get soon your e-kit!  ;)

DeeDubs,
sometimes I feel like the little man on your animated GIF, but usually is my PC to end like a piece of junk, not me...  ;D

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:09:16 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome folks,
-Guinness,  im used to being called Kiwi, funny how that ahandle sticks when you are out side of your own country !! Just don't call me late for dinner :)

-Deedub, i just think its natural progression, if you stuff around with music and electronics enough, seriously, i have been waiting for 20 years to find a kit(and still waiting) that i can plug into the computer and do all that the Alesis does. I guess i will not really know untill i get IT, Probably the first thing i do to it when i wear out the foam is mod it to billy bash mesh, 2 reasons, accoustic noise, and i am hoping that the rebound etc is as good as the roland kit i demo'ed at the local music shop.

Cheers for now
Alesis DM 10 studio, DW3000 double kick, Alesis 6 ch mix, Pearl Speed Beat throne, Alesis 50watt Transactive Drumer Amp, Shure WH20 Dynamic Headset Microphone.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »
...Probably the first thing i do to it when i wear out the foam is mod it to billy bash mesh, 2 reasons, accoustic noise, and i am hoping that the rebound etc is as good as the roland kit i demo'ed at the local music shop.

Cheers for now
It will be very similar to the Roland once you do the mesh head upgrade. The stock Alesis pads or very dead when compared to the Roland mesh head triggers. The Alesis stock pads feel somewhere in between a rubber practice pad an acoustic drum head. Just something to keep in mind. I hope that helps.