Author Topic: Greetings, decided to take the plunge and learn...  (Read 2203 times)

Greetings, decided to take the plunge and learn...
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
Hey everybody, over the past couple years I've been learning to play some guitar and really enjoying it.  A while back I decided it'd be nice to learn to play some drums, and eventually bass.  I grew up playing the trumpet (I played a LOT) and while I always enjoyed it, I was never motivated by it.  Even though I suck horribly at guitar, I enjoy playing it more than the instrument that I know what to do with.  Now I'm learning all the stuff (music theory etc.) that I should have known back then.  Go figure.

After quite a bit of research, yesterday I decided to order a DM10 studio kit.  I wanted something that was going to be good enough that it will encourage me to play, but not so expensive that it'd be silly for a first drum set (I'm looking at you, Roland stuff).  I wasn't crazy about learning on an acoustic set due to the noise.  I don't have neighbors but I do have a wife, and I'm not betting on being a natural at drumming.

Anyway, hopefully the kit will arrive early next week sometime... I figured I'd say hello as I'll probably be hanging around and looking for setup tips, etc.

Offline DeeDubs

Re: Greetings, decided to take the plunge and learn...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »
Op,

Welcome to the forum.. you're in good hands with the folks here.

Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:29:08 AM »
Hey everybody, over the past couple years I've been learning to play some guitar and really enjoying it.  A while back I decided it'd be nice to learn to play some drums, and eventually bass.  I grew up playing the trumpet (I played a LOT) and while I always enjoyed it, I was never motivated by it.  Even though I suck horribly at guitar, I enjoy playing it more than the instrument that I know what to do with.  Now I'm learning all the stuff (music theory etc.) that I should have known back then.  Go figure.

After quite a bit of research, yesterday I decided to order a DM10 studio kit.  I wanted something that was going to be good enough that it will encourage me to play, but not so expensive that it'd be silly for a first drum set (I'm looking at you, Roland stuff).  I wasn't crazy about learning on an acoustic set due to the noise.  I don't have neighbors but I do have a wife, and I'm not betting on being a natural at drumming.

Anyway, hopefully the kit will arrive early next week sometime... I figured I'd say hello as I'll probably be hanging around and looking for setup tips, etc.
Welcome aboard Oppenheimer. There is a lot of info around here so, I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. If you need anything just ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can help.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »
Hellfire, I know you get this a lot but thanks for the review you did... it really helps noobs like me to have someone who knows what they're doing explain / show the basics of the set...  especially with a new product when there is so little info out there.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  :D

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »
welcome op! hope ur wait is short...
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Pier

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
Welcome here and please to meet you, my friend!
I bought my Studio kit few weeks ago - as maybe you're already read somewhere else in this forum - I assure you it's a winner!
Of course it needs a good drummer, but you're studying, so...

Good luck and keep rockin' !  ;)