Author Topic: DM10 Studio Kit arriving Monday  (Read 2769 times)

DM10 Studio Kit arriving Monday
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
New to the forum, getting my first non-video game e-drum set on Monday.

Was eying up a DTXpress IV Special, but found out Yamaha is discontinuing it and replacing it with the DTX550 which is essentially the DTXpress IV Special with one less drum pad and $200-300 more expensive.

Stumbled across the DM10 Studio Kit, looking at the specs and the price, was sold.

I have owned a DM5 Pro drum pad to replace the snare of my Guitar Hero WT kit and have been mostly happy with it.  However, have noticed that the foam pad under the head was severely worn and became noisier, but still works properly.

Offline Guinness

Re: DM10 Studio Kit arriving Monday
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
Check out Hellfire's video on converting the head to mesh.  I too noticed the same thing with the pads after use.  Converting the pad to mesh, and rearranging the foam really helps.  I have no "lumps".  :)

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=131.0

Welcome to the forum!

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »
you wont be dissapointed! i love my kit. i was the same, i had the dm5 pro kit and then got the dm10. the difference is insane! as stated above be sure to do the mesh head upgrade makes it so much quiter its great

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »
Got my kit last night, assembled it and couldn't really play it - too loud at 9pm. I might have to try the mods, but I'm still going to wait till the original heads get worn.

On another note, picked up a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. double bass pedal...pretty smooth.

I haven't really got around to reading through the User Manual yet, but didn't really see a way to control the aux input volume, am I missing something?  I read some reviews on the JamDock saying the same thing (mailing my rebate today).

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
Got my kit last night, assembled it and couldn't really play it - too loud at 9pm. I might have to try the mods, but I'm still going to wait till the original heads get worn.

Haha!  My original '94 build used mylar heads / reflection plate pads, and I never changed the heads once!  I pounded on those for quite a few years - 10 or 15?  The wear pattern confirmed I was pretty accurate, too.  Don't wait until they wear out, wait until you have the bucks for mesh heads.

Congrats on the kit.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »
I haven't really got around to reading through the User Manual yet, but didn't really see a way to control the aux input volume, am I missing something?  I read some reviews on the JamDock saying the same thing (mailing my rebate today).

No volume control on Aux In.  use the source's volume control.

I've got my jamdock working well.  I have yet to post about it, but will in the orginal jamdock thread.