Author Topic: Back on the throne after almost 20yrs  (Read 1730 times)

Back on the throne after almost 20yrs
« on: July 31, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
Comin' out of Norfolk, VA.  Not a professional, however...  I've been blessed to be behind the set & beat in some drums.

Thanks for lettin' me in!

Drum set:
  • Alesis DM10 X
  • Remo Silentstroke heads (1ply Mesh)
  • Remo KS0012-PH Double Falam Slam Patch (2.5-Inch)
  • Pro X Hi-Hat
  • DW 2000 Series Double Bass Pedal (DWSM107 "Flyweight" Beaters)
  • Gibraltar 5707 (Medium Weight) Double braced Hi-Hat Stand
  • Gibraltar 6608 Heavy Drum Throne
Laptop: ASUS ROG G51Vx
Software: Tracktion | Superior Drummer 2
Sound card: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen)
Ground Loop Isolator: Stinger Select SSGLI
Hum/Noise Eliminator: PYLE-PRO PHE400 Mini HUM Eliminator (2-Channel Box)
Dirty Electricity Filter: Greenwave Spectrum 2500i
Monitors: Alesis Elevate 3 (1 pair)
Speakers: Harbinger APS12 (1 pair)

Re: Back on the throne after almost 20yrs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
Greetings! Just joined the group today. Been in a 7-8 year break myself and just got my first s kit - it’s a blast! Been playing 40 years, maybe that make me “old school” lol.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:34:19 AM »
I just joined this group after about 50 years off the throne.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
Nice to know there’s some fellow Old School drummers here!🥁

Online AlanK

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »
Wow, SeilerBird, just how old are ya?? lol

I'm 55, started bangin around on a snare with pots and hampers around 12, got a real (crap) kit around 16.. jammed with brother and friends a few years, in small band from about 19-22 then left the scene, married, etc.. gave friend my set around 25 and didn't play for 25 yrs.. got back into this around my 50th and loving it
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:28:46 PM »
Wow, SeilerBird, just how old are ya?? lol
I bought myself an Alesis Command for my 70th birthday last June. Here is a few shots of me from the 60s and a more recent shot.

Online AlanK

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »
Wow, SB, that's great! So glad to see you're still drumming. What a cool view into the past.. really like the look of the old school flat footed cymbal stands!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
That drum set cost my parents $129 in 1961. It did not include the 18 inch Zildjian cymbal that followed me home.  ::)

Online AlanK

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
Nice! I'm in Ottawa Canada, and growing up we had a store called Consumers Distributing.. one of those warehouse type places with a catalogue.. they had 2 drumsets with that kind of oyster pattern.. blue or silver if I recall.. cost a hundred bucks or so.. my brother and I tried to save for it so I could play drums and he would play guitar. Never did get the set but dreamed about it for years.. the memory is still really vivid for me, how much I/we pined over being able to one day fill out their little scratch pad order forms and wait for them to wheel a big box out from the back storage... sigh.. I had to suffer with a snare drum, our clothes hamper turned upside down, and a toilet plunger with a pot lid screwed into the top of the handle with an eye bolt.. had to play bass drum on the hamper floor tom.. hahahaha.. it was aweful.. oh ya, then we inherited a banjo so I took the strings off, dismantled the neck from the body and had a bongo type drum to add to that monstrosity.. I wonder why our parents would cover their ears when we played them KISS Firehouse in the basement lol