Author Topic: New DIY kit - Trust me........Look  (Read 10088 times)

Re: New DIY kit - Trust me........Look
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
This is one of the cymbals I converted to electric.  For this kit.  I used all Meinl HCS cymbal.  They are cheap cymbals, but very well built and look nice.  No need to by expensive cymbals when your just going to drill wholes in them and laminate sound dampening material on to the back of them. 

What kind of material (rubber, foam, or else...) do you have used on top of cymbal? How much is the noise reduced?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:07:13 AM by 4ndr34 »

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
I used Silly Winks 3mm foam sheets.  It actually works really well and holds up quite nicely.  Though sooner or later will have to be replaced.  It lowers the noise leval significantly.  From a high tick, to a low thud. 

You can find the foam sheets at most graft stores.  though they will vary in brand name.  I got mine from Hobby Lobby, but I know joann's carries it and Micheals.  Now if your not located in the USA then I would know where you would find it.  You can even use 5mm thick foam, if you are a real heavy handed drummer. 

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 02:59:12 AM »
Thank you... I'm from Italy and I'll try to find out it in some store...

I'm using a neoprene sheet (mouse pad) and the general feeling isn't very well...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:44:59 AM by 4ndr34 »

Offline pbear5

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »
I agree that a switch is a nice way to go if you want either/or but some songs might require both. You can get used to the transition velocity and, if your pad is pretty consistent for triggering and you have the cross-over point set right, you can control it pretty well. The nice thing about this is that you aren't combining say a crash and a cowbell so, if you do get a rimshot sound instead of a cross stick you can shake it off pretty easily.

I was experimenting last night having more overlap between the two sound's velocity ranges. This seems to give a smoother transition from side stick to rimshot. I plan to test a little more tonight.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:17:37 AM by pbear5 »

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 02:27:50 AM »
Yeah the foam in a mouse pad is thin, but its really really dense and rubbery which will absorb the impact of the stick on the cymbal lessoning the feel of that natural bounch.  That would definately be a bad thing for a ride cymbal.

The stuff that I used still takes away some of that natural feel of the tip of the stick bouncing.  I used it on my ride cymbal but didnt use it on the bell.  I also left plenty of space around the bow bare, so if I do need that bounce I can just use another part of the cymbal with out the foam pad.  I also didnt put any of the foam pad on my Hi-hats.

Offline pbear5

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
It's a little pricey but Hart Dynamic sells their clear rubber cymbal pads as replacements. I believe they can be pulled off and reused if you want to play full contact when you want.

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »
yeah when it comes to Electronic Drums.  Roland and Hart Dynamics are by far most expensive.  I actually think hart is a little more expensive than roland.  As far as what you said I think they do the replacement rubber.  The stuff is just kind of hard to find.  There are certain parts these companies will sell for replacement.  I think they just make the stuff hard to find in hopes you will just purchase the whole item new.  Roland does sell their cones, pintech sell replacement triggers, and hart does sell the rubber pads.

I dont know maybe its just me that had a hard time finding this stuff, it just seems they make the parts hard to find.  I guess if you have a roland kit and need the cones you would try a little harder than I did to find them

Offline pbear5

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 06:47:58 AM »
My experience with Hart was great--I couldn't find a Hart Pro Snare at any of my usual places so I just called Hart directly.  I called a few times and talked to the same guy.  He set me up with the Black Chrome snare direct and had it shipped the same day.  If anyone is interested in purchasing their replacement cymbal rubber pads I would just call their Customer Service and ask.  If a part is set up in their system as a sellable item you should be able to get it.  Same thing with Pintech--just contact Lorrie, she'll set you up with parts that aren't even shown on their website.

Greg

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »
This is a good thread with lots of useful info in it. I do think it's too bad Hart and Roland have to be so greedy and try to take so much money for their products. Not all of us can afford those inflated prices. If you can afford it and don't mind paying it then go that route. But if you're like me and like to do things as cheaply as possible and don't mind diy'ing then I think a person should really research what you want and find out what these companies use for the material and consider buying it elsewhere for cheaper prices and make it yourself. I know the cuts aren't as accurate as the companies on the cymbal pads but if you can save 50% or more, it is worth it. Just take your time and do the diy work carefully.

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »
My experience with Hart was great--I couldn't find a Hart Pro Snare at any of my usual places so I just called Hart directly.  I called a few times and talked to the same guy.  He set me up with the Black Chrome snare direct and had it shipped the same day.  If anyone is interested in purchasing their replacement cymbal rubber pads I would just call their Customer Service and ask.  If a part is set up in their system as a sellable item you should be able to get it.  Same thing with Pintech--just contact Lorrie, she'll set you up with parts that aren't even shown on their website.

Yeah ive heard good things about hart.  There drums actually look like they are better quality than rolands.  lol I would hope they would have great customer service as much as their drums cost.  If your using a hart kit.  Id really like to see pictures.  I havent really seen any nice hart user kits. 

Ive actually had to deal with pintech before and they do have pretty nice customer service.

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »
I completly agree with you greg.  Roland and hart make really nice product, but cost of thier product is way to high.  Honestly with the money Ive spend building my DIY kit I could I bought a TD-30, but I really wanted something personalized to me and besides that I thought it would be fun to show what I built.  Now ofcourse there are much cheaper ways to DIY a kit, than what I did.  So yes Roland and Hart kits are great, but not everyone has pockets deep enough for that.  So DIY it is. 

Offline pbear5

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »

Yeah ive heard good things about hart.  There drums actually look like they are better quality than rolands.  lol I would hope they would have great customer service as much as their drums cost.  If your using a hart kit.  Id really like to see pictures.  I havent really seen any nice hart user kits. 

Ive actually had to deal with pintech before and they do have pretty nice customer service.

Actually, I am only using a Hart Pro Snare with my standard DM8 Pro kit.  So DM8 Pro + 2 additional Simmons 12" cymbals (same as Alesis but available at Guitar Center) and a Hart Pro Black Chrome Snare on a Tama snare stand.  I bought the Hart because my Pintech 12" mesh head was going to need it's second foam "cone" replacement in maybe 1-1/2 years(?) so I thought a Hart might be more durable.  For the way that I play (and I keep saying that I am not a drummer but I am getting better) I like to have a good snare that picks up all of the stuff that I'm doing or at least want to do.  From the beginning of using e-drums it has always been the case that I have wanted my snare to be one or two notches above what I was using for toms.  At this point, when I am playing my kit with Superior, I don't really have a clear weak link that needs to be replaced (grey ware on the throne being the one clear exception.)  I like the fact that the DM8 input limit is keeping me from going nuts with adding a bunch of pieces that I don't need, Alesis cymbals are doing everything that I need, I like the feel and response of the RealHeads for toms (seriously, I do!  stick volume is high but I don't have issues with that.)

My advice, FWIW, is to do what you have to for toms and cymbals (particularly accent cymbals) but get a good snare!!

As far as DIY for drums it can be great and even affordable but you really have to watch the total cost vs buying a full kit--I know from experience that paying retail for all of the individual pieces will cost more than you think.  When I was looking to upgrade my Yamaha DTxreme kit (which already had two 10" and one 12" Pintech ConcertCast) buying an entire Alesis DM8 was the best choice for me.  I haven't had to DIY anything other than the aforementioned Pintech parts replacements--even though I'm not averse to doing so.

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 02:39:14 AM »
I used Silly Winks 3mm foam sheets.  It actually works really well and holds up quite nicely.  Though sooner or later will have to be replaced.  It lowers the noise leval significantly.  From a high tick, to a low thud. 

You can find the foam sheets at most graft stores.  though they will vary in brand name.  I got mine from Hobby Lobby, but I know joann's carries it and Micheals.  Now if your not located in the USA then I would know where you would find it.  You can even use 5mm thick foam, if you are a real heavy handed drummer.

I haven't found Silly Winks foam sheets  :(... But I'm going to use this:

It is the "standard" silent pad used on acustic cymbal... It should work  ;)

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 03:47:47 AM »
Those would probably work great.  If It were me Id just cut off the rounded top part for the bell and adhear the bottom to my cymbal

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 06:26:11 AM »
Good idea! However I'm continuing to search the Silly Winks foam and I wonder if you know an online store that sell (and ship worldwide) it...

Offline Trondster

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »
I have used such thick neoprene on my Surges - but it makes them a bit too unresponsive, in my opinion - it dampens a bit too much for my taste..
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:28 AM »
I have used such thick neoprene on my Surges - but it makes them a bit too unresponsive, in my opinion - it dampens a bit too much for my taste..

I completely agree with you.  Now it would depend on the density of the material you use, but I found that with the foam sheets that I use 3mm is perfect.  As far as responce and still feeling fairly natural.  The 5mm sheets made my cymbals unresponsive.  Those 2mm made a big difference when I was perfecting my cymbals.

Ive actually been thinking about trying Gum rubber on my cymbals.  The foam works great, but Im always tinkering with new ideas.  Gum rubber is fairly dense and absorbs vibrations better. 

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2013, 03:00:18 AM »
Last night I was thinking about silicone... I would make a hit zone with thin layer of silicone... How could I make it using a stick of silicone or other?
I found these pictures on vdrum forum:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:10:12 AM by 4ndr34 »

Greg

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 05:23:14 PM »
Whoever did that cymbal did a great job. I could never get it that uniform and clean. I wonder how long it would endure being hit though. ;)

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
Yeah they did do a great job.  I tried adhesives before sticking to transfer tape.  Adhesives are just to messy and its very hard to make it look nice.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »
I know this is old, but is there any chance of reviving this post? OP can you repost the instructions for building this?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:29 AM »
I went looking for the adhesive he used online.... in the store, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Ace HardWare could not find it.... looks like one of those products they don't sell in this country....  Did find some stuff that was very clear called Lexel .... but it drys real slowly.... Good luck.

Offline RZ

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:33 AM »
This is a great thread.  You really are building yourself a very personalized set.  You are fortunate to have the ability and money to complete such a project.  Plus it looks awesome. 

On another note, I don't have these skills and personally I don't see anything wrong with paying more for a Roland or Yamaha set that is already built for me.  As you mentioned, you probably spent as much as a TD-30.  Since I already made a mistake 5 years ago buying an inferior electronic set and sold it to cut my losses, paying more for a solid quality set made sense.

That's what is so great about drums, you can pretty much get what you want at any price point.  Having the ability to build your dream set is probably at the top of the chain!  Nice work.

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
Hey man, good stuff. I posted this morning about not getting my variable pedal to work right.  I'm probly just not giving it the patients a home made variable pedal takes.  Or it could be my cheap 100k fader.  Here it is.  Give me your thoughts. 
Think it, build it, play it.