Author Topic: 682Drums Mesh heads & Pre-made "Alesis Conversion Sets"  (Read 23661 times)

Re: 682Drums Mesh heads & Pre-made "Alesis Conversion Sets"
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
Sorry for the wait on getting back to you guys, my experience with the conversion kit so far has been OK... it was easy enough to install, but upon playing more and dialing in the settings one of the pads just doesn't work that great (one of the 12" ones, the hoop just doesn't wanna sit correctly). Also, especially on the 12" pads, the foam cones included with the kit seem too tall. If you hit the center of the pad you'll hear a loud 'THWACK' and feel the cone. I plan on cutting the foam cone down maybe 1/8" and seeing if that helps. I've just been super busy lately but I'll try to keep you guys updated with any additional changes I make.

Consider experimenting with the curve settings, velocity pitch, velocity level, sensitivity, and instrument selection before you modify the cones.

I'm surprised the the 12" pads even accommodate the cones, given its limited space. Also, I imagine the "trigger settings" need be considered as well.

Greg

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
I haven't been on dmdrummer very often lately but tonight from reading some of these posts on this thread, it seems you guys are taking a more complicated, unreliable and costlier option in the 682drums conversion kit.
I did HF's conversion with just the 682drums heads and haven't had any of the problems you guys are experiencing.
I know people worry about the warranty issue but if something is likely to go wrong with the set it will be in the module. And from horror stories about Alesis' customer support, if something went wrong in a pad I'd fix it myself first in 1 day instead of sending it to them. The wiring and parts in a pad are easy to replace even if you're not mechanically inclined and the parts are easily available. If my module had problems then yes, I would send it to them to fix or replace as that is 3/4 of the sets value. If you trim any pieces in a pad how would Alesis know if you had to use your warranty to get your module fixed? They wouldn't and would be required to fix the module still.
Do what you feel is right but I think you're making this alot more difficult than it has to be.
Greg

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »
Update on the tape issue: It is confusing, but there is a thin protective film on the actual double sided tape included with the kit. Peel the film (make sure the tape doesn't get stuck to the film) and remove the tape from the foil/paper backing. The actual tape was hard for me to see, making me think the foil and paper were actually part of the adhesive, but it is all just backing. I now have to go back and fix my mickey-moused 8" tom because I ended up using the whole tape/foil-paper backing and additional double sided tape in my confusion  ::)

OK, so far I have successfully converted an 8" and 10" pad, and I'm now on the first of two 12" pads. Herein lies an issue: As previously noted, there is considerably less space in the 12" pads than the smaller ones. When I opened up the pad, there was the foam/piezo plate (much nicer foam and piezo assembly quality, btw) then 2 pieces of foam with large holes in them. From the looks of it, I will be removing both of these foam pieces, leaving just the foam on the piezo plate to isolate the rim and head piezos. Leaving any foam in just seems like it will squish the hell out of the cone and cause issues.

So far, playing with the toms it seems hotspotting is a bit of an issue, and there are also dead spots  ??? I haven't messed with the trigger settings too much, and it's tough for me to judge the appropriate tension for the mesh head. I will update again once I finish the conversion with pictures and my notes.

I don't see two piece of foam. I only see one. Help !!!

Greg

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »
Here's an idea but you guys insist on doing the 682drums conversion kit so you probably won't like it.
  Quit trying to convert them with that kit which isn't necessary. Do Hellfire's method. My kit has the deeper shells and the shallow ones as I added an extra 12" pad in my upgrade. HF's method worked great. I also dealt with the different quantity of foam layers between my stock dm8pro kit and the 12" add-on pad and all pads trigger great.
Why do you guys insist on spending money on a conversion kit that isn't wise for the build of Alesis pads in the first place?
If you sit and watch Hellfire's video, he clearly explains how to make the stock Alesis trigger system work if you are switching to mesh.
After you guys spend the extra money and bother with the 682 method? I will glady compare my set to yours and prove you are wasting your time with that nonsense.
  I am not trying to be rude or disrespect anyone by my comments but I know HF's system works great and the only investment beside the mesh heads was 2 bucks worth of Funky Foam. I just don't want to see you guys and future members get caught up in wasting money on 682s kit. Their heads are great as I have them myself.
You guys need to really take advantage of the knowledge dmdrummer vets have and listen to them as so many vets are wiz's about e-drums and are happy to help others. That's why I'm a member here.

Good luck.

Greg

Greg

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
Here's an idea but you guys insist on doing the 682drums conversion kit so you probably won't like it.
  Quit trying to convert them with that kit which isn't necessary. Do Hellfire's method. My kit has the deeper shells and the shallow ones as I added an extra 12" pad in my upgrade. HF's method worked great. I also dealt with the different quantity of foam layers between my stock dm8pro kit and the 12" add-on pad and all pads trigger great.
Why do you guys insist on spending money on a conversion kit that isn't wise for the build of Alesis pads in the first place?
If you sit and watch Hellfire's video, he clearly explains how to make the stock Alesis trigger system work if you are switching to mesh.
After you guys spend the extra money and bother with the 682 method, I will glady compare my set to yours and prove you are wasting your time with that nonsense.
  I am not trying to be rude or disrespect anyone by my comments but I know HF's system works great and the only investment beside the mesh heads was 2 bucks worth of Funky Foam. I just don't want to see you guys and future members get caught up in wasting money on 682s kit. Their heads are great as I have them myself.
You guys need to really take advantage of the knowledge dmdrummer vets have and listen to them as so many are wiz's about e-drums and are happy to help others. That's why I'm a member here.

Good luck.

Greg

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
Hi All....I bought a Alesis DM10X a month ago...got it second hand for £600 it's 4 months old...
Sorted out all the cross talk issues...and really got into it...
had been reading on here about the mesh head upgrade...and decided to go the 682Drums route...
They arrived today and i have converted all the pads..
Just had to take the grey foam out...then flip the pick up pad over...then stick the orange cones on...which was the problem..as they are too high...so just had to cut them down a tad..
so all done...ahh except i have a felt bass beater..and still waiting on patch...so I taped thick wide sellotape around the beater...am sure that will be fine..i hope..:)
But....the end result is all good i say....more sensitivity...and so much quieter...so alls well that ends well...

Ohh and i have only been playing drums for say a year...started on the DM6...
I have played guitar for hmmm 25 years and mandolin for say 7 years...

Check me on youtube if you like...pantherman333

cheers..    Jon

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »
After you guys spend the extra money and bother with the 682 method, I will glady compare my set to yours and prove you are wasting your time with that nonsense.
You guys need to really take advantage of the knowledge dmdrummer vets have and listen to them as so many are wiz's about e-drums and are happy to help others. That's why I'm a member here.

Good luck.

Greg

Sorry to bring up an old post but I figured I'd address what Greg says here and my outlook on the set so far with the 682 conversion in the interest of full disclosure on this topic. Overall, I think the 682drums conversion with the cones has been adequate, especially on the 8" and 10" pads.

However, it seems pretty clear that the cones are too large for the 12" pads as stated by Hellfire. Overall, I would agree with you, Greg. It's been a while since I performed this mod and I'm not even sure what drew me to this kit in the first place; I think the conversion process appeared so simple and there was also the perceived allure of having a lot of empty space to allow the mesh head to resonate and reduce noise. But the 682 kit, at least the rendition I received, was hastily designed.

Now that I've been playing my kit a little more lately, I would say that this conversion works fine and is simple (though overprice) for the 8" and 10" pads, but if I could go back I would've tried Hellfire's conversion first. One of the 12" pads works fine because the 12" head from 682drums actually fits correctly; the other head simply does not fit right, and took and endless amount of centering while tightening to get close, messing with the foam cone and making the pad feel and look cheap. It actually seems to trigger quite effectively and reliably, but the THWACK from a cone hit and the pressure the cone is putting on the mesh head is leading the head to wear prematurely, and I bet triggering could be even better with the simpler mod.

I would honestly recommend Remo Silent Stroke, Billy Blast, Hart, or possibly even Roland heads over the 682drums heads from what I've seen around these forums, ESPECIALLY for the 12" size. Take that with a grain of salt though because it's been a while since I've looked into this and I'm not sure if the quality or availability of some of those brands has changed.

As for me, I'm going to convert one of my 12" pads using Gerdy's mod and compare it with the 682 cone conversion pad. I just received the speaker foam I need, and I'm looking forward to doing a comparison soon.

Offline ClaudioCas

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 04:11:27 AM »
Hi Soad,
let me know about comparsion Gredy vs cone... I'm going to do a mesh conversion soon and I'm realy interest on it!

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
So far it's a little tough to tell; I did Gerdy's conversion on one of the 12" pads and compared to the cone conversion I would say the rim triggers much better and isolation between the two is improved. Dynamics are more even on the Gerdy pad. However, the cone pads feel better to me, they are springier and the dynamics are better except for the hotspot on the middle of the pads. I think I will continue with the Gerdy mod and some new mesh heads, as I need them anyway, and see how I feel with them; I definitely need to play with settings a little more and I'm sure a different mesh head that sits better on the rim would really help. So far, this 682drums head that I've been using doesn't sit perfectly and I think it's messing with the dynamics of the outer edges of the pad.

I'm wondering whether to go for a roland head or stick with the remo silent strokes that seem popular. Time will tell, I'll keep you posted once I get some new heads.

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »
I can chime in about the 8" and 10" pads.........

I have a DM10 Pro with two 10" pads and 3 8", and an 8" kick of course....
All tom pads and the snare are fantastic to play. The only tweak I had to make was to the 8" kick pad...... I eventually added 1/2 of a circle of the foam that gets removed during the conversion process to the bottom of the pad..basically filling the gap between the plate and the head.....It dampens the rebound from the plastic beater absolutely perfectly.... It used to double bounce a LOT after converting to 682.... With that foam, double bounces are totally gone.

Highly recommend it.

Best part about it is that it is the easiest conversion to complete.....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:29:10 AM by mhmeyers »
DM10-Pro - expanded
682 Mesh
Addictive Drums 2
Audigy Rx
AKG K240
LiveWire Amp

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 07:28:22 AM »
Hi all,

I just received my 682 conversion kit (1x 10 and 5x 8) for my Alesis DM10 kit. I've read everything before hand so I was 100% this is going to be the best solution but after opening the package I noticed that the cones are cut really really poorly ->
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l98663ktvmbrkck/20160123_131703.jpg?dl=0

Did everyone receive them like that? Quite frankly I was expecting this to be at least straight cut... I have a broken arm atm and I still managed to make a way better cut (was testing how hard it is to cut it straight hehe...).

Cheers for your time.

BR, Žan

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
Wow. That really sucks!  Mine were perfectly square. I doubt those will trigger well.
JimmyB

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
Yep, they are NOT supposed to look like that.
Should look like a perfectly shaped cone with the top cut off.
It almost looks like they were overheated or something......

Contact 682 and send them that pic. I have zero doubt they will correct the situation and get new cones sent.....

DM10-Pro - expanded
682 Mesh
Addictive Drums 2
Audigy Rx
AKG K240
LiveWire Amp

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 06:27:37 PM »
Cheers for the replies so far. I actually set out to convert one 8" today with the cone that looks the most straight cut just to see how it feels.

What I got in the end is just another disappointment -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ky1qy0cazn6va4/20160125_001119.jpg?dl=0

Is the mesh supposed to look like that? In all the pictures and videos I've seen it look a lot better... not like this - it looks as if one ply was not straight and one is... or just well poorly made. If I had known this is the kind of quality I would get then I would not have went with 682 for sure. Will ofc send them an e-mail to see what they say but so far not so good...

Cheers again for reading.

BR, Žan

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
Hang in there. I had trouble getting the correct number of heads from them as they shipped the wrong set.... Had to wait three weeks for replacements but have been happy ever since....
Again, I'm wondering if the goods you received had been exposed to high heat....
DM10-Pro - expanded
682 Mesh
Addictive Drums 2
Audigy Rx
AKG K240
LiveWire Amp

Offline AlanK

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 10:08:04 PM »
Definitely not what you're supposed to get, even the logo is odd, it's usually down near the bottom..seems like this was a knockoff set, or somebody was having a shitty day and they took it out on your order! I ordered my mesh kit and everything was perfect as was mentioned in a previous response, the cones had the top cut off perfectly flush, almost looked like they were molded that way. I ordered a few extra mesh heads and cones a while later, same perfect sets. And I just ordered and received a cymbal, also pristine and perfect in all ways. I would definitely let them see the pics and I'm certain they will rush out replacements.. all dealings I've had with them I've found them to be great at making sure I was happy. Good luck!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
Ok as far as cones go they are ready to send me new ones right away.

As far as mesh heads go they say they can only change it for black ones as those supposedly dont have this wavy patterns (they are black.....).

Can anyone of you take a picture of your own white 682 mesh head so I can see and be sure that this is not supposed to look like this?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:30 AM »
Does this help? Sorry, there's a Hart in there as well.. but you can see the shimmer patter (although I think I only see it when there's bright light reflecting). The orange cones do show through, and the logo isn't as close to the outside as I'd first recalled when I replied earlier.. the logo isn't too dark, I bet it'll wear off quickly, especially yours as it's closer to the centre. But yeah, when I compare how my 682s look beside the Roland V's and the Hart Maxxums, there's a big diff. But the 682s are fairly durable and better than the Pearl that I had (only single ply)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »
Oh that is awesome :) judging by the pictures my mesh is pretty much the way it should be.

Which makes me really glad now :) it was just that awful feeling that I received an item that is of lesser quality than usual... but everything is fine now. They are sending me new cones as soon as they get them. They even offered me to exchange the white mesh with the black ones but I don't like the feeling of black mesh... messes up my coordination :)

So it would seem I am just another one of many satisfied costumers at 682drums.

Thanks again to everyone here for the help. I'll post a pic when I finish the conversion :)

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »
Nice!!! I knew they would help you.
Wait until you get them installed and get trigger settings corrected. You will be very happy...  :)
DM10-Pro - expanded
682 Mesh
Addictive Drums 2
Audigy Rx
AKG K240
LiveWire Amp