Author Topic: 682Drums Mesh heads & Pre-made "Alesis Conversion Sets"  (Read 23679 times)

682Drums Mesh heads & Pre-made "Alesis Conversion Sets"
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »
Hi all, I've been lurking around this forum for a long time, and finally figured I'd chime in to ask a question... but first let me say that having owned a Hart Prodigy with a Roland TD3 module, looking at the DM8 Pro/DM10X makes me really excited, especially considering what some of you guys have done with these and similar kits. Having seen all these excellent modding/conversions, I'm thinking about buying one and performing a mesh head conversion myself.

I'd love to buy a DM8 Pro kit and replace all the heads with mesh heads from 682Drums.com, particularly because they also carry "Alesis conversion sets" which include a foam cone and a 'carton' (which to me appears to be simply a black sheet that mainly serves an aesthetic purpose).

The kit's installation is demonstrated here.

I was just wondering about the feasibility of using this kind of conversion, particularly on the 10" & 12" pads that come with the DM8 Pro. It seems as though the conversion kit was installed on an 8" pad, and with all the QC issues people have noticed with the pads in general, it makes me hesitant to pre-order cones for each drum that comes with the DM8 under the assumption they will function as intended without a hitch.

IMO, the design seems unlikely to work in the 10" and 12" pads, especially the dual-zone 12" pad due to xtalk issues between the two zones. Also, turning the metal plate piezo assembly over and placing a foam cone directly on top of the piezo seems likely to cause hotspotting.

The neatness, simplicity, and aesthetically pleasing elements of this conversion make it an attractive choice for me at the moment, because I am not particularly handy and would rather not have to perform a more extensive modification, especially right after receiving the pads (in order to preserve the warranty in case of an issue). However if you think there might be issues with this style of conversion, I'd be interested to hear any advice.

Even having seen simple conversions of the 10" and 12" pads like Gerdy's and Greg's, and of course Hellfire's video tutorial for the 8" pads, I'm still hesitant to follow these guides because above all I want to ensure I end up with a well-working set of pads, and finding the same exact materials used in those guides does not seem quite as straightforward. If that's dumb, tell me... haha. I'm all ears.

Thanks  :)

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:46:07 PM by soad1789 »

Offline Trondster

Re: 682Drums Mesh heads & Pre-made "Alesis Conversion Sets"
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:22:34 AM »
The "Hellfire" conversion work just as well on the 10" pads as the 8" pads - the 10" pads have even better responsiveness than the 8" pads, both before and after the conversion.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »
Wow Trondster, somehow I never came across your posts until now (found em through your sig) nice work, your set looks awesome!

It looks to me that your guide details the conversion of an 8" pad, and as you said, the guide can also be applied to 10" pads with little to no deviation. What I find interesting about your conversion is that you put the craft foam on the very bottom of the pads, below the white foam, which IIRC is different than the hellfire conversion. Any reason for this? Did you end up with that after some experimentation?

Also, I believe the DM10 Pro kit has all dual-zone pads (except of course the kick drum pad). I would think the single zone pads on the DM8 Pro would be easier to use with the 682Drums conversion kit pictured above, but I'm still wondering about the 12" pads, specifically the dual-zone snare. I'm thinking I might just order the mesh heads and cones and see what I can come up with, as no one I've heard of has attempted to use these conversion kits yet haha.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
I performed the conversion on both 8" and 10" pads - some of the pictures in my thread are from the 8" pads and some are from 10" pads. If you read closely you'll for example see that there were resistors in my 10" pads, but not in the 8" ones.

If you check the Hellfire conversion again, you'll find that the extra craft foam in the bottom is to elevate the stack to make better contact between the black foam and the mesh head - this is part of the normal conversion.

The Dm8 pro should contain standard dual zone RealHeads.

For conversion of the 12" pads, see Gerdys stickied thread.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
Thanks for the info Trondster, I just wanna say that I ordered a DM8 Pro kit and the conversion kit from 682drums, and will report back when I mess around with everything and see how it all goes. I may end up sticking with a hellfire/gerdy style conversion, or attempting a cone-style conversion, depending on which seems to work better.

Greg

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »
  That's pretty cool 682drums offers that. If you search for a couple threads I started a couple months ago you'll see I did the mesh conversion, HF style, left the resistors in on my DM8 pro kit. The heads were 682drums heads also.
  The conversion worked great for me. Getting the conversion kit from them isn't necessary but is an option for you.

Good luck.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »
The cones look pointer than the quartztrigger ones. I believe the smaller the point of contact, the better the performance. Can you measure the diameter of the circle on the tip of the cone when you get them?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:08:27 AM by evilcartman »

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
Can you measure the diameter of the circle on the tip of the cone when you get them?

Will do, the order should arrive sometime next week.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »
I just ordered some mesh heads from 682drums but haven't received a response.  Has anyone had a successful delivery?

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »
AFAIK, 682Drums is currently having issues with their supply of both the mesh heads and the foam cones. If you ordered the black mesh heads, expect an email from them-- they told me they were out of them and it would be another two weeks or so before they're back in stock, so I opted for the white heads.

As for the cones, the machine they use to make the cones has apparently broken, so I'll be waiting until next week for them to replace it and my order to be filled.

Hope this helps.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Thanks.
I just received the heads and cones today.  They had a delay but sorted it all out very well, great customer service.

Does anyone know how to stick the cones on the piezo? Do I just used one sided tape or something like that?

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
I'm still waiting on my order, it's apparently still going through customs  :-\. Hmm, so there's no adhesive on the foam cones? I'd think any decently strong two sided tape would make the most sense, though I'm not really sure. Maybe something like this or this would work? What are the dimensions of the piezo, resonator plate, and foam cone? Maybe that would help to determine what tape to use.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
Mine wasn't in customs long thankfully.  It took about a week from when they shipped to arrive.
They actually provided 2 sided tape, I didn't notice at first.  I completed the conversion last night and its awesome.  The first one took about 30 minutes but after that about 5 min each.  I had to trim the piezo plate foam a bit to fit it in once it was flipped, this isn't explained on their installation vid.  Overall so far awesome.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 02:25:27 AM »
That's great to hear! What kind of kit did you convert? Pics? Any notes or issues with the conversion besides the trimming of the piezo disc foam? How much did you adjust your trigger settings? I can't wait to get my hands on 'em and do this!

Offline So-Kal

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
Most definitely interested in hearing both your results on this, as I'm also thinking I might try this route first, at least until my warranty has expired, at which point I'll be less worried about making major changes
Standard DM10 - played with passion!

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
I just received my order today, after 5 days in customs  :o. The package was ripped when I received it, but the contents are fine, everything is there and in good condition. I'm taking pics of the conversion, but right now I'm hung up on the totally F$&!@^*ing frustrating adhesive strips included with the kit. The paper backing seems totally impossible to peel off... I'm thinking of just buying my own double sided tape!

Any suggestions xianzai?

Oh, btw the top of the cone measures 5/16".

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Update on the tape issue: It is confusing, but there is a thin protective film on the actual double sided tape included with the kit. Peel the film (make sure the tape doesn't get stuck to the film) and remove the tape from the foil/paper backing. The actual tape was hard for me to see, making me think the foil and paper were actually part of the adhesive, but it is all just backing. I now have to go back and fix my mickey-moused 8" tom because I ended up using the whole tape/foil-paper backing and additional double sided tape in my confusion  ::)

OK, so far I have successfully converted an 8" and 10" pad, and I'm now on the first of two 12" pads. Herein lies an issue: As previously noted, there is considerably less space in the 12" pads than the smaller ones. When I opened up the pad, there was the foam/piezo plate (much nicer foam and piezo assembly quality, btw) then 2 pieces of foam with large holes in them. From the looks of it, I will be removing both of these foam pieces, leaving just the foam on the piezo plate to isolate the rim and head piezos. Leaving any foam in just seems like it will squish the hell out of the cone and cause issues.

So far, playing with the toms it seems hotspotting is a bit of an issue, and there are also dead spots  ??? I haven't messed with the trigger settings too much, and it's tough for me to judge the appropriate tension for the mesh head. I will update again once I finish the conversion with pictures and my notes.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
That tape drove me mental also!  I have  dm5 pro and turned the gain up to from 50 - 60 on the toms and up to 65 on the bass.  I had dead spots but once I turned up the gain the worked very well.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 04:36:49 AM »
they've just told me that they will be adding the DM8 Pro Conversion Set next week.

so soad & xiznzai.. what do you reckon? i'm about to buy 682 mesh set.. shall i go to the full "conversion set" with cartoons and cones?.. are they worth the extra Eur30? or just the mesh heads will be fine?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
they've just told me that they will be adding the DM8 Pro Conversion Set next week.

so soad & xiznzai.. what do you reckon? i'm about to buy 682 mesh set.. shall i go to the full "conversion set" with cartoons and cones?.. are they worth the extra Eur30? or just the mesh heads will be fine?

Well, you are not going to be using a center mounted cone for the new 12" trigger. There's no space for. I'm interested to see how 682 handles the 12" conversion. Most likely a side mount internal trigger of some kind.

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »
If 682drums offers a working solution for 12" conversion, I might try it. Looking at their website, I can't say if they added the "DM8 Pro Conversion Set," since non of the provided sets match up exactly ???

DM8 is listed, however. But there's no special conversion method for the 12."

@soad1789: Would love to know how the mod is working out for you. Any improvement?

Offline th_wolf

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Hey guys.. I just bought the DM8 Pro kit last week. I love it, what a great step up from the DTXplorer i used to have! I gigged twice over the weekend and I have to say its a bit hard on the hands & feet after 4 hours of straight playing...  ;)
Have just ordered the 682 mesh conversion kit with cones, gonna give that a go and see if it works well... From what I can read the cone method can go either way, especially for the larger 12" pads. If that doesn't work ill definitely give the Hellfire method a shot- at least you don't destroy anything for good by cutting that foam out.
Cheers for all the info, love this site!! :)
DM8 Pro kit, 682 Mesh conversion, MacBook Pro with Superior Drummer 2.
Old school Premier Vitria acoustic kit, Zildjian cymbals

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »
Sorry for the wait on getting back to you guys, my experience with the conversion kit so far has been OK... it was easy enough to install, but upon playing more and dialing in the settings one of the pads just doesn't work that great (one of the 12" ones, the hoop just doesn't wanna sit correctly). Also, especially on the 12" pads, the foam cones included with the kit seem too tall. If you hit the center of the pad you'll hear a loud 'THWACK' and feel the cone. I plan on cutting the foam cone down maybe 1/8" and seeing if that helps. I've just been super busy lately but I'll try to keep you guys updated with any additional changes I make.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:18:17 PM by soad1789 »

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
Consider experimenting with the curve settings, velocity pitch, velocity level, sensitivity, and instrument selection before you modify the cones.

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 06:05:54 AM »
How are the 8" and 10" pads? Looks like a pretty simple conversion, but the response is what I'm concerned about. Let us know if you sort out the issues. I have one 10" drum and five 8" pads, so I'm wondering if this thing would work for me. Not that I'm doing it anytime soon, but always good to know :)

- Jimmy
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup