Author Topic: EZDrummer 2 - MidiPipe/Bome for a proper cymbal choke  (Read 2189 times)

EZDrummer 2 - MidiPipe/Bome for a proper cymbal choke
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:10:17 AM »
Hey guys, I know this was chewed many times among other topics but still it's driving me crazy  :'(

I've tried MidiPipe and Bome MIDI Translator Pro to accomplish a proper cymbal choking and not the one that EZD has but without any success. Is there someone who knows MIDI and can suggest how I can construct such aftertouch or at least, is it possible somehow to simulate the same "envelope" articulation settings that can be achieved in Superior Drummer 2 for a relatively real choking. 

Unfortunately I'm not a sound engineer and I cannot pull up the sound I'd like from SD2 the same way it sounds in EZD2. I've tried almost every VST out there but still my ears prefer EZD and thats the reason I want choking so badly  :-\

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:13:08 AM by peerless »

Re: EZDrummer 2 - MidiPipe for a proper cymbal choke
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 12:53:45 PM »
Today I've spent some time with MidiPipe and got relatively good results.

What I did in MidiPipe is to change the note velocity to 1 and now the choking is much better:

1. Midi In (Select your midi device and tick "hijack")
2. AppleScript Trigger (make sure pass through is not ticked) and enter the code (see bellow)
3. Midi Out (create output device and make sure pass through is not ticked)

4. Select that device in EZDrummer as Midi Input
5. Play much better chokes

Code: [Select]
on runme(message)

set c to (item 1 of message)
     set k to (item 2 of message)

if (k = 34) or (k = 58) then
          set message to {c, k, 1}
     end if

return message

end runme

For DM10X Mesh:
34 - the original crash midi key of DM10X Mesh (EZD internally maps it to 50 if you are on Alesis DM10 Kit preferences)
58 - that's the EZD's Mute key for the second crash, I mapped this directly in the module first (second crash choke strip)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:55:46 PM by peerless »