Author Topic: DM10 and Yamaha DTX snare pad with BFD Eco or Addictive Drums  (Read 4524 times)

Offline raptor

DM10 and Yamaha DTX snare pad with BFD Eco or Addictive Drums
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
I use a DTX snare pad with the DM10 and it works well. I was trying the two vst's mentioned and noticed that the rim note # plays the same as the head midi number (38). Any ideas why the vst's don't see midi #40 for a rim, in this case the rim shot? The DM10 display shows two zones being triggered.

Offline vaikl

Re: DM10 and Yamaha DTX snare pad with BFD Eco or Addictive Drums
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
Maybe you have to tweak your snare triggers on the module again until you'll get a clear separation between head and rim MIDI notes when playing both triggers solo. And don't forget to check the articulation settings in the MIDI keymaps of both VSTi's to avoid double triggers and perhaps modify it with the Learn mode.

Offline raptor

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
I get good separation on the pad, and it works well with dm10. I just don't see a change in the incoming midi data for head and rim. The learn function will not work because both vst's see only midi note 38.
The DM10 sounds are pretty good so I may ignore the vst stuff on this setup. I have played the vst stuff at church on my Yamaha Dtx3 setup.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:08:38 PM »
Just to get it sorted: You can clearly hear rims and head triggers with the DTX snare when you use only the module's sounds. And you can't hear rims and heads of the snare when you are using AD or BFD eco, right?

Do you use Alesis pads as toms and do you get a clear rim sound there, on the module and with appropiate MIDI notes shown in AD/BFD eco?

Offline raptor

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »
That's correct for all three questions. However; I am using Roland mesh pads for my toms.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
That's correct for all three questions. However; I am using Roland mesh pads for my toms.

To ensure that it could be an issue with the DTX snare pad only you could simply change it with an Alesis tom pad into the snare input of the module and see if you then get separated MIDI notes.

I don't have DTX pads but if I look into their specifications some (all?) of them have a dual-zone rim trigger for open/close rim shots. That could confuse the DM10's brain which MIDI note to send out, because this is done *after* triggering internal and the DM10 only knows one rim shot articulation to connect a note to.

Offline raptor

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:35:24 AM »
That's interesting. I may just swap the dtx pad for my Roland mesh pad.