Author Topic: NEW 2014 Alesis Pro X Hi-Hat  (Read 60255 times)

Re: NEW 2014 Alesis Pro X Hi-Hat
« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »
I had the same doubts you had, but the amount of force needed to get the clutch in is not that high ; you place the little black ring below the centrale hole of the cymbal, you screw the clutch in a little bit and as soon as it's started to get screwed in the black ring, you're good to go.

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #276 on: November 25, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
Bought the Pro-x hat a month ago. Was going to return it this week, since I likely will not use because of the acoustic noise, but decided to keep it as a bad example regardless. However - anyone tried to manually dampen the top hat?
With a mouse pad, rubber sheet, silicone or similar? If so - how did it work out?

Online AlanK

« Reply #277 on: November 25, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »
Hi John. There's a couple of threads dedicated to that topic. I think some members had done just that with foam etc. I'm going to try myself soon, this weekend if I can get the time. I have some thin (1mm?) sheets of dense foam if that's what it's called.. was going to try to trim out a couple of elipses or even a complete circle to lay overtop. I don't mind too much the sound when I tap on the bow, the edge really is the annoying part.. not sure why they designed it with the lower end cymbal for the top.
Bassal, I did go back and try again and you were right about the clutch fitting through the hole of the original better hi-hat cymbal.. except I found that because it has that choke strip it was difficult to close properly or quickly so I went back (plus I wanted to use the original hat as another crash).
I've found that the black spring that comes with the Pro X is fairly rigid, and my hi-hat stand has a fairly rigid spring in it so even with it on it's lightest setting it's still pretty hard to step down fast or do anything too intricate. I went and bought a couple of compression springs to try to find a lighter gauge that would close easier.. turned out it must be shorting out the base where it sits on the bottom hat or something.. I think maybe the original is painted with that black plastic coating for a reason.. maybe i'm wrong, but it was weird, when I used the replacement spring it was ok open, but as soon as I closed it the sound cut out. I haven't had a chance to get at the spring in the stand yet.. I have to get it out and bring it in to a hardware store to match it up size-wise and find one that's looser. I may even take it right out and see if the pedal raises back up enough with just the Alesis spring.. as I find that even if you loosen the clutch completely the hat will never drop right down to closed like an acoustic hat setup.. there's always a gap because of the spring.. so maybe that's enough to get it to raise up and I can take out the stand spring and it may be looser and easier to close with just the one up top.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
I hope it is not in bad form to awaken an older thread but as a new owner of a Pro-X hi-hat (on an also new DM10x) I found reading through the entire thread immensely helpful in working through issues with the product, especially in light of a relatively unhelpful manual.  Hopefully others in my position navigate to this great resource.

My DM10x has been quite playable right out of the box (evidently in contrast to experiences of some other users) but the Pro-X has taken a bit more work to get going properly.  Maybe the only issue not addressed as far as I could see was the unwanted rotation I am encountering, which no one else in the thread seems to have encountered so probably I need to double-check that I used the correct clutch and that I assembled everything properly.

Online AlanK

« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »
Hi Robissimo, I've also been frustrated with the rotation on my Pro X hats. One thing that helps is using the provided velcro straps around all the cables, I put one up close to the bottom hat leaving just enough slack to not interfere with the opening and closing, and one a bit lower down the stand.. it keeps it from moving around as much. I've also got my rod and clutch tightened very well. It woudl be great if there was an easy way to keep that little actuator unit or whatever it is fixed to the stand in one spot, then have the bottom hat velcroed to it perhaps.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #280 on: June 18, 2017, 11:04:05 PM »
kinda necroing this one up, but wanted to mention that this topic is very informative and was worth the time to read it through.

just did the swap and now am using the former hihat cymbal pad as the top, and the pro x plastic noisy thing will become another crash or china here.

but the most important thing: as soon as I swapped the pads, i was able to get some nice barking going on. I believe that since the other pad is heavier, spring action got better. (my hi hat stand spring is very hard too, have a pearl h930 )

Now im in a struggle to get things right in Addictive drums 2. whenever I press down the pedal, instead of getting a foot chick sound, i get a splash (so whenever I wanna do single barks, instead of bark choking, I get a faint splash).

Im able to control this through CC velocity, but the foot chick sound does a strange double chick and the barking is ruined.

will try to tweak the settings a bit, but does anyone have any tips on that?

edit: by using the "learn"function on the hit hat foot close sound and just pressing down the pedal I was able to get it right without having to mess with velocity. foot splash is the next challenge now.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:33:59 PM by Yamauti »

« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2018, 02:50:30 PM »
Hi ... I agree that this topic is very useful. I believe I have read it through but didn't see any mention of a possible adjustment that I read about in a different thread (or was it on a different forum?) Anyway, the poster in the other thread had discovered that one of the original cables going to either the hi-hat or the hi-hat controller was mono. When he replaced that cable so that he has 2 stereo (TRS) cables connecting the hi-hat and the controller to the module that the Pro X Hi-hat worked much better.

That being said I am going to try to replace the top part of the Pro X with the original hi-hat cymbal tonight to help reduce the noise.

Also, on a different topic, could one of the moderators reach out to me? I am finding it impossible to send a message because of the verification system you are using.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:14:01 PM by Oldtimer Bill »