Author Topic: DM10 Ride cymbal issue  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Dobly

DM10 Ride cymbal issue
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »
My ride on my DM10 kit has an annoying issue.

If I play on the bow I get a bow sound.

If I play the bell I get a bell sound.

So far so good.

However if I play the edge of the ride. I get a sound like I have crashed the edge of the ride with a thick stick from a long run up. An over the top 100% full crash sound. This real issue here is that I get a sound that loud, no matter how softly I hit the edge. I can tap it with my finger and it explodes into 100% loudness..

It is unmusical and unplayable. At my gig a couple of weeks ago (which was my first run the the DM10x kit on stage) there were some songs were I was playing solidly on the bow of the ride, but occasionally the edge would sound. It was horrible.

Anyone else noticed this issue with the ride edge?

Offline AlanK

Re: DM10 Ride cymbal issue
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
Is the trigger curve setting on Constant velocity? then it would be the same loudness no matter how hard you hit it
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
Is the trigger curve setting on Constant velocity? then it would be the same loudness no matter how hard you hit it

mmmm Could be.. I'm at work at the moments so I'll check later. I would have thought that the trigger curve stuff on the ride would effect the bow and bell too. They are performing correctly. It's only the very edge that has a very hot trigger on it.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
Yeah, could be questionable..definitely confusing. I've found that you can adjust the bell settings so I crank up sensitivity there (and also since I was never a huge user of the bell I realize you have to really pound it with the shaft of the stick on the right or left side of the bell)..

But my probs have also been that I find the ride to be quiet, so I turn up the sensitivity and volume, but then it will randomly trigger huge explosions of ride/crash that can be actually quite deafening.. add to that when I play through Addictive Drums those misfires get even more pronounced. Its really too bad they don't separate out the edge from the bow any better.. maybe increasing the xtalk send and receive on the edge/bow input will help the two piezos from picking up eachother, if that makes any sense at all
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
Makes perfect sense. For me I play the bow and the bell but never the edge of a ride. That is what crashes are for. I have broken a few rides in my younger days and soon got out of the expensive habit of crashing on the ride.

I don't play hard all the time, but when I do and am getting a hell of a run up. Listening back to a rocking number from our first give I was horrified to hear what was going out the front. Random and spontaneous crashes on the ride at 100% velocity and way louder than is musical.  Maybe there is crosstalk between the edge and bow. Is there a setting for that at that level?

I may have to whip out the screw driver and decommission the the edge trigger. Like I said I don't use it anyway.

I'm curious how these rides are put together. I'll take photos and post them here.