Author Topic: Alesis DM 10 with Yamaha PCY-135 E-Drum Cymbal  (Read 2606 times)

Alesis DM 10 with Yamaha PCY-135 E-Drum Cymbal
« on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:35 AM »
Hello fellow drummers,
I plan to buy 2 Yamaha PCY-135 E-Drum Cymbal Pads in order to replace them with my already alesis crash cymbals.
Then plan to use my 2 alesis crash cymbals for chinas.
My question is:

1. Will those 2 yamahas be compatible with my alesis dm10?
2. How am i supposed to connect them in order both of them to be chocable.
3. Can i connect 2 cymbals on one output? Will i need an adaptor? (i mean how am i supposed to add (connect) those two alesis cymbals after i install the yamahas on my kit on the crash output)

i play with logic pro x and ezdrummer. when i add the extra cymbals will i be able to assign different crash or china sounds for each extra cymbal?

i hope that you get my point.

thank you so very much!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 01:01:12 PM by delerio »
Demon to some... Angel to others.

Re: Alesis DM 10 with Yamaha PCY-155 E-Drum Cymbal Pad
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
I use the PCY-155 (and 135). I believe they will be trigger able - however not choke able. They are wired reverse (the bell will be the choke able portion and the edge will be the bell).

Re: Alesis DM 10 with Yamaha PCY-155 E-Drum Cymbal Pad
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:38:27 AM »
i saw that i can use a Y splitter to expand the kit. Is this what i will need?
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP203-Dual-Cable-9-75/dp/B000068O1P/ref=sr_1_31?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290185351&sr=1-31

will i be able to set different sounds for each cymbal if i split them?

i'm posting an image below to see exactly what i plan to do.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:53:51 AM by delerio »

Offline Iggford

Re: Alesis DM 10 with Yamaha PCY-135 E-Drum Cymbal Pad
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
You are doing the same thing that I did with my DM10 before I upgraded to the Strike.  I added two Roland cymbals from my previous kit, one as a china then one as a splash.  I also added a Roland rubber pad as an extra percussion pad, and split my kick input to add a second bass drum pad.  For the extra cymbals, I split the Perc4 input, and the percussion pad was a split off of Tom1.

The cable you posted the link to is identical to what I used.  It works really well, you just have to work out which cable goes to the head and which goes to the rim.  Then you can assign separate sounds to each one.

I want to do the same to my Strike, but I had some mixed results splitting the cymbal inputs.  I need to go back and work on it again, though.  I don't want to split the toms on this one, though, because it has very impressive rim sounds that I've been using on stage.  I am just not ready to give those up yet!

Good luck with your kit!

--
Shawn.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
You are doing the same thing that I did with my DM10 before I upgraded to the Strike.  I added two Roland cymbals from my previous kit, one as a china then one as a splash.  I also added a Roland rubber pad as an extra percussion pad, and split my kick input to add a second bass drum pad.  For the extra cymbals, I split the Perc4 input, and the percussion pad was a split off of Tom1.

The cable you posted the link to is identical to what I used.  It works really well, you just have to work out which cable goes to the head and which goes to the rim.  Then you can assign separate sounds to each one.

I want to do the same to my Strike, but I had some mixed results splitting the cymbal inputs.  I need to go back and work on it again, though.  I don't want to split the toms on this one, though, because it has very impressive rim sounds that I've been using on stage.  I am just not ready to give those up yet!

Good luck with your kit!

--
Shawn.

thank you for your reply shawn.

you mean that i must add the splitters for extra cymbals to the floor tom 1+2 for example and then assign the rim for both toms to china sounds. right?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:41:05 AM by delerio »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »
No problem at all!

That's correct.  Once you determine which side of the splitter goes to the head and which to the rim (I can't remember right off), just connect it to whichever input you want to use, one to the original pad and the other to the new pad. 

Are you currently using your Perc4 input?  I also can't remember if that one was an extra input when I first got my DM10 kit.  If it's open, that would be your best one to split, as you can put both of your new cymbals on that input, and only need one splitter.

--
Shawn.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »
No problem at all!

That's correct.  Once you determine which side of the splitter goes to the head and which to the rim (I can't remember right off), just connect it to whichever input you want to use, one to the original pad and the other to the new pad. 

Are you currently using your Perc4 input?  I also can't remember if that one was an extra input when I first got my DM10 kit.  If it's open, that would be your best one to split, as you can put both of your new cymbals on that input, and only need one splitter.

--
Shawn.

Yes, Perc4 is open! If i put a splitter there and add 2 cymbals, the one cymbal will be head and the other one rim?
i'm new to the kit so i'm still learning.

Greetings from Athens, Greece

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »
That's correct!  It makes it a little easier to work with if you've already got that input open.  It also keeps you from having to use more than one splitter on the new additions. 

I wish I had the same input on the Strike that I could do that with.  They added a "Crash 3," which seems to have taken that spot.  That'll be the one I split if I end up going that route.

Hope you are enjoying your new kit!  It's got a learning curve, but it's a very powerful module once you learn the ins and outs of it.  I still use my DM10 as a very reliable backup.

I'm in the little town of Pleasant Garden, NC, USA on this end!

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 09:58:56 AM »

the plug to the left  is for the head and the plug on the right does the rim   ;D
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 06:02:43 AM »
That's correct!  It makes it a little easier to work with if you've already got that input open.  It also keeps you from having to use more than one splitter on the new additions. 

I wish I had the same input on the Strike that I could do that with.  They added a "Crash 3," which seems to have taken that spot.  That'll be the one I split if I end up going that route.

Hope you are enjoying your new kit!  It's got a learning curve, but it's a very powerful module once you learn the ins and outs of it.  I still use my DM10 as a very reliable backup.

I'm in the little town of Pleasant Garden, NC, USA on this end!

--
Shawn

Great place, saw it on google maps!
its a great kit. I dont know if you've ever connected it to a computer with logic pro and ezdrummer.
Then you'll get the most out of it!!!

I believe that this Yamaha cymbal (PCY-135) will be a great upgrade for my kit. Since you've already tested it, does it feel better when playing than the alesis crash cymbals?
I have some issues with my current alesis crash cymbals, might be trigger settings... But i cant adjust them so that they feel like real cymbals when i  try for example to hit and make the cymbal sound fade in (when a song starts or ends for example), i don't know if you get what i mean.

I also plan to do the 682 mesh upgrade, because mylar feels a bit uncomfortable.

have a great day.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:11:04 AM by delerio »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
I believe that this Yamaha cymbal (PCY-135) will be a great upgrade for my kit. Since you've already tested it, does it feel better when playing than the alesis crash cymbals?
I have some issues with my current alesis crash cymbals, might be trigger settings... But i cant adjust them so that they feel like real cymbals when i  try for example to hit and make the cymbal sound fade in (when a song starts or ends for example), i don't know if you get what i mean.

I also plan to do the 682 mesh upgrade, because mylar feels a bit uncomfortable.

have a great day.

All of my experience and advice is based on using the module with its own samples.  I've not used either of my kits through my PC yet.  I tried once, and had some latency issues, so I went back to the module.  Plus, with my kit going on the road, I wanted as compact a setup as possible.

I totally get what you mean about the cymbals.  My expansion cymbals were Roland cymbals, and to be honest, I had better luck with the Alesis cymbals.  My DM10 kit came with two crashes, but one was a much thinner cymbal with a completely different feel.  My included hi-hat matched the other crash, so I turned it into my second crash.  I bought a Pro-X hi-hat to use with my kit.  It was difficult, at first, to get good swells out of the cymbals, but if you work with the trigger settings, as well as the velocity settings in your individual kits, it's possible to have them working really well.

My DM10 was the Studio Mesh, so I never got a chance to play on the mylar heads.  I came close to getting the DM10X with the mylar, but I wanted mesh from the beginning, so I went with the Studio Mesh kit.  Good luck with the upgrade, though, as I've heard great things about it!

I don't consider myself an expert on any of this, but I'm glad to be able to help in any way I can.

--
Shawn