Author Topic: Latency, ASIO4ALL and dedicated interfaces. Need help!  (Read 2850 times)

Latency, ASIO4ALL and dedicated interfaces. Need help!
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Hi! I come here with a very specific question. But first, let me explain my setup: I have a Alesis Nitro connected to my laptop - Windows in a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz / 16GB of RAM / running Reaper + Addictive Drums 2 outputting to a Soundblaster X-fi USB @ 96Khz / 64 Samples through ASIO4ALL. Both the sound module USB and the soundblaster have their own usb port. According to Reaper I should be getting 0.6 to 1ms latency, and that is the best that is available to me. It sounds perfect, no crackles or anything of the sort. Compared to the Nitro sound module there is an almost impercitable drag, but enough for to feel it (running the laptop output and sound module through an external mixer shows me that the laptop sound is almost lined up, but sounds like a very fast drag). For what i've read, I shouldn't notice the diference at this level. So, my first question: Is something wrong with my config? The usb cables are short and straight to the pc and each one have its own USB port, no hubs. Second question: Would getting a dedicated USB interface make it perfect or at least better than this? If so, which one would you recommend? Thanks!

Offline korakios

Re: Latency, ASIO4ALL and dedicated interfaces. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:30:26 AM »
Have you armed the channel on Reaper ? It makes huge difference on latency ;)

Also try the Wasapi driver instead of Asio4All .
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:46:34 AM by korakios »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
According to Reaper I should be getting 0.6 to 1ms latency, and that is the best that is available to me. It sounds perfect, no crackles or anything of the sort.

How do you measure this?? Don't rely on app-specific values, because neither A4A nor Reaper could measure the whole distance of a digital mastered signal through all PC components. And btw - ASIO4ALL is *not* an accelerator or "magic mushroom" for audio signals. It's only a very old converter/adapter for much more older WIN95 audio drivers into the ASIO world of Steinberg dominated hardware drivers. Use the manufacturers ASIO drivers, if you experience problems. "No crackles or anything" is only related to the power of your CPU-/audio-IO-system.

A dedicated USB-/Thunderbold-solution is always the best way to deal with latency issues.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
Doesn't the Sound Blaster USB have its own Asio driver? If so is that instead of Asio4All.

(Edit: Stupid auto complete)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:41:58 PM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
Would getting a dedicated USB interface make it perfect or at least better than this? If so, which one would you recommend? Thanks!

I use a Focusrite 2i4. My latency is set to 3ms and I cannot detect any latency. A Focusrite Solo would do just as good a job I reckon

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »
Click on the upper right (where it says 96KHz....) in the upper-status bar in the main window in your screenshot. Make sure AISO4ALL is selected and then on that page, there's a button that says AISO Configuration.

Depending on your USB Interface, you should see a sample rate, or in my case due to I'm using the Behringer UCA222 , there are 2 tabs and I click the 2nd tab to see the latency value.

th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline korakios

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:04:46 AM »
Can’t resist to ask :
Isn’t the block size a ‘bit’ off ? It should be “request block size 64’ instead !

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
Can’t resist to ask :
Isn’t the block size a ‘bit’ off ? It should be “request block size 64’ instead !

I just pulled that screenshot off the net to show where the configuration button was. It wasn't intended for him to use the settings on that screenshot.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline korakios

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:59 AM »
Can’t resist to ask :

I just pulled that screenshot off the net to show where the configuration button was. It wasn't intended for him to use the settings on that screenshot.

Hope I didn’t offend you  :)

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
Hope I didn’t offend you  :)

Nope, not at all.