Author Topic: DM10 Pads Sensitivity Knobs - US Only?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Failed Muso

DM10 Pads Sensitivity Knobs - US Only?
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »
I've been following a thread over at the Alesis Community Support page where a guy bought a brand new DM10 Mesh Studio kit and was asking where the sensitivity knobs were on his pads. Apparently, according to Bill from Alesis, only the US models feature the sensitivity knobs! I find that very odd indeed.

My UK bought Crimson kit has the knobs.

I'm wondering if it is a patent thing?

Either way, there is no mention of this on the Alesis site itself and this makes me happier still that I didn't go for the DM10 after all.

Is this news to anyone else or am I just late to the party? ;)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline rhysT

Re: DM10 Pads Sensitivity Knobs - US Only?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
I've been following a thread over at the Alesis Community Support page where a guy bought a brand new DM10 Mesh Studio kit and was asking where the sensitivity knobs were on his pads. Apparently, according to Bill from Alesis, only the US models feature the sensitivity knobs! I find that very odd indeed.

My UK bought Crimson kit has the knobs.

I'm wondering if it is a patent thing?

FYI, here's a link and some info for the relevant inMusic patent:

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6440.msg46482#msg46482
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:52:22 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
PM sent

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »
I just received this from Alesis:

EMPLOYEE
Bill R. (Employee) 1 hour ago
Hi Steve,

There are laws and regulations that allow us to sell different products overseas. My guess is that the reason why the physical knob was omitted from the non-US mesh pads was due to Roland's trademarks and patents on their mesh kits. I apologize for the confusion presented on our non-US websites, and I have made my web team aware of this issue for correction. Nonetheless, the physical sensitivity knob present on the US kits is strictly for fine-tuning. For the best performance out of your mesh heads, it's recommended your sensitivity adjustments are performed on the module, itself.

To adjust this setting, follow these steps:

From the main screen, press the EXT TRIG button.
Use the CURSOR buttons to highlight the Input field.Once the Input field is highlighted, use the VALUE/TEMPO dial to choose the trigger you want to adjust.(ie. If you would like to adjust the main head area of the snare drum, choose SnrHd. If you want to adjust the snare drum rim area, choose SnrRim, etc.)
Use the CURSOR buttons to highlight the Sensitivty field.
Use the VALUE/TEMPO dial to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the affected trigger.
Press the DRUM KIT button to return to the main screen.

I hope this clarifies things for you. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

I am not happy, but at least they have admitted there was a clarity issue with their advertising. I have decided to buy a "Crimson" snare, which has the adjustment, and replace my "Studio" snare with it (I will use my Studio snare as an additional trigger).