Author Topic: Hey There, Former TD8, Concert Cast user, jumping back in!  (Read 1546 times)

Hey There, Former TD8, Concert Cast user, jumping back in!
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
Hello All,

I have been out of the eDrum world for a number of year now.  I sold off my Roland TD8, and Pintech Concert Cast set.  It was great at the time (purchased in 99-02?).  I am now going to fit my Tama Star Classic Birch kit with triggers, and have ordered a DM10.  I know the DM10 is near the end of it's life cycle (Strike Module), but it seems like a big step up from where I was, it was REALLY affordable (350) and I was encouraged by the stated expandability.  Yes, I have seen the threads where apparently that was not as-advertised... BUMMER.  I hope the built in samples are good...

I appreciate any tips, tricks, info you can give a second time newbie.

Thanks,

Scott

Online Hellfire

Re: Hey There, Former TD8, Concert Cast user, jumping back in!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:30:48 AM »
Hello All,

I have been out of the eDrum world for a number of year now.  I sold off my Roland TD8, and Pintech Concert Cast set.  It was great at the time (purchased in 99-02?).  I am now going to fit my Tama Star Classic Birch kit with triggers, and have ordered a DM10.  I know the DM10 is near the end of it's life cycle (Strike Module), but it seems like a big step up from where I was, it was REALLY affordable (350) and I was encouraged by the stated expandability.  Yes, I have seen the threads where apparently that was not as-advertised... BUMMER.  I hope the built in samples are good...

I appreciate any tips, tricks, info you can give a second time newbie.

Thanks,

Scott

Welcome to the forum from another Roland TD-8 convert.  :)

The DM10 lacks the dual zone hi-hats of the TD-8, but you gain a lot in the form of control. Once you get use to your new DM10, be sure to check out the Advanced Drum Module Techniques here on the forum. You will find some pretty cool stuff on layering different instruments (something the TD-8 could never do).

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 05:05:13 PM »

Welcome to the forum from another Roland TD-8 convert.  :)

The DM10 lacks the dual zone hi-hats of the TD-8, but you gain a lot in the form of control. Once you get use to your new DM10, be sure to check out the Advanced Drum Module Techniques here on the forum. You will find some pretty cool stuff on layering different instruments (something the TD-8 could never do).

I am not sure I know how the HH will feel different, if you have some input, great.  I am also considering BFD, and a great sound card, but I see lots of complexity/variables in that.

I will check the link you shared, and thanks a bunch!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »
so, is it the single zone Hi-Hat that limits this, or the DM10 itself?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
so, is it the single zone Hi-Hat that limits this, or the DM10 itself?

The DM10 can only handle a single zone cymbal trigger in the Hi-Hat input. There is a way to get dual zone hi-hats, but it isn't easy and you can not edit the bow zone.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »
OK, well, as the gear has not arrived, and I still have the chore of installing the triggers to my kit, I guess it is early to have any bad feelings about it yet.  My Hi-Hat is the single zone with controller for standard Hi-Hat stands, so I can't send 2 zone anyway.  I see the circuit diagram you added, and your video for a switch/Piezo.  Is there somewhere i could buy a switch like this?  Can i add the switch and resistor to the Piezo in my existing pad?

Thanks for all your help and input!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
My Hi-Hat is the single zone with controller for standard Hi-Hat stands, so I can't send 2 zone anyway.  I see the circuit diagram you added, and your video for a switch/Piezo.  Is there somewhere i could buy a switch like this?  Can i add the switch and resistor to the Piezo in my existing pad?

Thanks for all your help and input!

To be totally honest, it really isn't worth it. It isn't an off the shelve project. A DIY'er really needs to know what they are doing. There is no switch you can just buy and use (that's why I say it is a truly DIY project). As to adding to an existing pad, I'm sure there's a way to modify an existing cymbal pad but I never took it that far and have no plans to. The only existing pad I ever did this to was a Pearl ePro live drum trigger head to show Pearl that it was possible to get a velocity signal from a switch zone.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:07:59 PM »
OK, no worries, I also see on your website how to make a switch, which seems very easy.  I may dabble in this at some point...  I figure if i can add a zone to the top Hat, i can use another input on the DM10 for what it does.

Further, I see that the DM10 only allows choking of the 1st crash??? wow, and OMG... why would you do that?  I then looked at the manual, I will try the MuteGroup, which seems that all crashes will mute if any are choked, or the ones in the group, which should be fine.

Perhaps I should just relax until the gear gets here and give things a try first.  :)

Thanks again!

Offline rhysT

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »
OK, well, as the gear has not arrived, and I still have the chore of installing the triggers to my kit, I guess it is early to have any bad feelings about it yet.  My Hi-Hat is the single zone with controller for standard Hi-Hat stands, so I can't send 2 zone anyway.

Fwiw, some of the DM10 Hihat sounds (like Heavy-2 and Z60sNB15") apparently include velocity layer/s that produce a distinct edge sound when I hit my HH cymbal at the mid-edge of its rubber section, although I'm not sure why it only triggers on that part of the cymbal.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:57:23 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 03:34:31 PM »
Thanks for the info!  My gear arrives tomorrow, so by the weekend I should have time to check it all out.