Author Topic: Greetings from Portland Oregon  (Read 1383 times)

Greetings from Portland Oregon
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:57:27 PM »
New to the forum. Been playing my DM10 for 2.5 years. I've broken my kick pad 4 times in that time. I've repaired it, (re soldered the piezo) each time. Today it broke again. I'm getting tired of this. NOw my snare is intermittent as well as my 2nd floor tom.
I read Hellfire's page on crosstalk. Nothing seems to work. I've had this problem since I bought the gear. I've just dealt with it. Could the DM10 brain be bad? It's only falsely triggering the Tom3 rim. Which, in my case is routed to a china cymbal.
Also, as a symptom.... my kick quit working just after i was drilling it with double bass 16th notes while riding on the tom3. The kick would not sound when I simultaneously hit tom3.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Sal

Re: Greetings from Portland Oregon
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:39 AM »
For the kick pad, one common thing is making sure that you are not striking the center of the head, but offsetting your beater somewhat. That seems like something you may already have considered, especially playing a double pedal where you would be avoiding direct hits anyway.

Just going to brainstorm some other things, many of which you may have already considered...

--Cables? Maybe they're bad?

--You running stock pads, mesh conversion, something else? Converting to mesh hemped my crosstalk a pad sensitivity a lot.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 03:19:53 PM »
My beaters are offset on the kick. Cables are good. determined through troubleshooting. I've converted my snare head to mesh but haven't converted the rest yet. Is it common the the kick pad to break so often?

Offline Sal

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
Not sure. The kick and snare pads would take the most abuse, so it would follow that they are more likely to break. I (knock on wood) haven't had an issue with the kick pad. through when I converted mine to mesh, it was clear the previous owner was a heavier hitter (kicker?) than me.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:53:26 PM »
I'm a fairly light player and my kick went about a month into owning my set. One of the wires busted off at the solder joint. Easy fix. You may be able to use a scraper and lift off the piezo and then reposition it higher up inside the pad so it doesn't take as much force (but probably will need to increase sensitivity to compensate).. also perhaps put a little piece of foam overtop of the wires that connect to the piezo over the soldered areas to help with the pressure from being hit. Sounds like you're pretty fast and hard so definitely likely your trigger's getting a hefty beating and unfortunately Alesis uses pretty small wires. Mesh conversion would help no doubt.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:41:21 PM »
It turns out the red wire snapped in the middle. My previous solder point held. I resodered the wire. Once again, now operable. But now I have another problem. I can't play my toms on the same beat as the kick. The kick cuts out. And not just on my custom kit in the DM10... Also on the default kit as well. Anyone have any ideas? And where would I post questions such as this pertaining to the functionality of the pads/brain, on this forum?

THX

AJ

Offline AlanK

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 09:05:58 AM »
Glad you fixed the wiring problem. That dropping out is pretty common.. can be a number of things but likely xtalk settings are too high (that's what mine was.. couldn't hit crash, kick and snare at the same time). See if anything (start with the one that cuts out) is set to anything higher than 4 or 5 (xtalk send or receive). Check if the one cutting out has Low Priority or is in a Mute Group (unlikely on both unless you changed it). Also, check sensitivity.. I had it way too high on my snare at one point and the kick too, as I bought another brand of each to add to my set, and was getting used to the response.. kick was so high when I hit it it cancelled out the crashes. Found out the cone and piezo was placed a bit too far away from the beater (good for keeping it from being pounded on but I wasn't getting decent response so I was compensating by cranking up sensitivity). Eventually moved the trigger gear closer and lowered my sensitivity to match and the cutting out went away.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers