Author Topic: Alesis Surge Cable question  (Read 3238 times)

Alesis Surge Cable question
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
I just got an Alesis Surge 16" Dual Zone Ride with Choke.  I see that it comes with 2 TRS cables.  I am connecting it to an Alesis Trigger I/O.  My question is do I have to take up 2 slots on the trigger I/O to run this cymbal?  Would it work if I used 2 TS cables and hooked them to one TRS input on the trigger I/O using a splitter?

Offline Guinness

Re: Alesis Surge Cable question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
It all depends on what you want to trigger.  I'd test various configurations to get what best works for you.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »
I just got an Alesis Surge 16" Dual Zone Ride with Choke.  I see that it comes with 2 TRS cables.  I am connecting it to an Alesis Trigger I/O.  My question is do I have to take up 2 slots on the trigger I/O to run this cymbal?  Would it work if I used 2 TS cables and hooked them to one TRS input on the trigger I/O using a splitter?

It takes up 2 inputs on the DM10, which the two inputs are both stereo inputs.  The 2 cables do these tasks:
Edge Crash, bow, bell and choke.  how they are configured with the cables - you need to plug in both to the IO, and figure it out.  And remember, the IO has the wonky input 4 Ride that is piezo/switch only.

Good luck.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »
Sorry to drag this thread out again, but I just picked up a 16" Surge 2-zone ride with choke and am also a bit perplexed by the two output jacks and the lack of documentation about what they are.  I'll be using the DM10 (once I get my faulty unit exchanged) and I'm still unsure which inputs to use, or if I even need both jacks if all I need are bow and bell.  I guess the choke would be nice, but I'd sacrifice that feature for the sake of simplicity if I could get bow and bell from just one cable.  Any thoughts?

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
When I hooked up the ride on my USB pro set I found that one cable triggers the bow and choke, and the other cable triggers the bell and choke.  It's weird that both cables carry the choke message, but maybe that is by design.  At a minimum you're sending 3 different signals: bow, bell, and choke...so you'd need both cables.