Author Topic: New 12" Alesis Snare Question  (Read 1449 times)

New 12" Alesis Snare Question
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
Picked up an Alesis 12" snare off Craigslist today, to replace my DM10 Studio 10" snare.  Looks like it has a 682drums conversion on it.  I have an issue when I plug it into my DM10 module.  If I fully seat the TRS plug, I only get the Rim trigger.  If I partially insert the cable, so the tip only connects, I just get the Snare Head trigger. 

I'm thinking that it may be a cable issue, but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:20:25 PM by davec69 »

Re: New 12" Alesis Snare Question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »
To add further, It looks like the new 12" snare has 2 piezo triggers for head and rim.  I read somewhere that the stock 10" snare has a piezo/switch setup for snare and rimshot.  Could this have something to do with the problem mentioned in my first post? 

Are there settings in the DM10 module that need to be changed?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:45:43 PM »
Picked up an Alesis 12" snare off Craigslist today, to replace my DM10 Studio 10" snare.  Looks like it has a 682drums conversion on it.  I have an issue when I plug it into my DM10 module.  If I fully seat the TRS plug, I only get the Rim trigger.  If I partially insert the cable, so the tip only connects, I just get the Snare Head trigger. 

I'm thinking that it may be a cable issue, but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any ideas?

Based on the attached Alesis piezo wiring diagram, the 12"pad could have been incorrectly rewired during the conversion process. If you have access to a multimeter, try checking inside the pad for wiring continuity from each piezo connection to the module plug contacts.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:51:33 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »
Thanks.  I found that image over the weekend, and went back and checked the wiring.  It appears to be correct.  Initially, the two piezos were wired to one of the Alesis jacks, with the small PCB.  I bypassed that, and wired it directly to a 1/4" jack.   Head Piezo goes to the tip, and the rim piezo goes to the ring.  Both are grounded to the sleeve.

Still though, when I plug the trs cable all the way into the jack, I get just the rim trigger.  If I pull the plug partially out of the jack, so that only the tip connects, then I get the head trigger only.  Not sure what is going on. 

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
Assuming your 10" snare pad works Ok with the same cable, are you able to reverse the head and rim sensor connections of the 12" pad to the TRS plug tip and ring? I'm wondering if its head sensor had been wired to function with a Roland module!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:10:41 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
That was one of my first thoughts.  The guy that I bought the pad from switched over to a Roland set, and was selling off his Alesis gear.  I don't think that's the case though, because I have since rewired the pad, and I know that the head trigger is on the tip, and the rim trigger is on the ring.

Assuming that there are no settings in the DM10 module which could affect the snare,  my last thought would be the cable between the pad and module.  Maybe it's wired differently?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:11:25 AM »
Assuming that there are no settings in the DM10 module which could affect the snare,  my last thought would be the cable between the pad and module.  Maybe it's wired differently?

Your problem shouldn't be caused by module settings if the 10" snare pad plays head and rim sounds Ok.

Also what happens when you plug the suspect pad into any other module input with a different cable?