Author Topic: New ROLAND TD-50KVX,TD-25KVX,TD-17 series V-Drums ,KD-180/220 bass drums  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Chaser

Roland announces new TD-50KVX, TD-25KVX, and TD-17 series V-Drums, as well as KD-180/220 bass drums.

The TD-50KVX and TD-25KVX offer enhanced visual presence, each with a new bass drum featuring a real acoustic shell for acoustic feel and visual presence. The new TD-17 series combines flagship-level sound with newly developed pads. The playing experience is very close to playing an acoustic kit, accurately mirroring the physical movement, stick coordination, and hand/foot control that every drummer needs. It’s a perfect digital drum kit for serious skill building at home too, thanks to its authentic playability, onboard coach function, Bluetooth connectivity and more.

TD-50KVX: https://www.roland.com/us/products/td-50kv_kd-a22/

TD-25KVX: https://www.roland.com/us/products/td-25kvx/

TD-17 Series: https://www.roland.com/us/products/td-17_series/

KD-180: https://www.roland.com/us/products/kd-180/

KD-220: https://www.roland.com/us/products/kd-220/

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/drums_percussion/v-drums_kits/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:15:17 AM by Chaser »

Offline Hellfire

I get 404 page errors on all those links.

Offline Chaser

I get 404 page errors on all those links.
Yeah.. There were product pages posted about 5 hours ago.Roland of South Africa jumped the gun.
I figured this close it would be ok to post.Roland was quick to catch it before I could do any screen shots.

EDIT:
They are all online now
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:55:07 PM by Chaser »

yeah to no one's surprise it's expensive as hell
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;
DIY: Tennis Ball Drum Riser, Cymbal Felt Beater, Footswitch Cymbal Choker[url]

Offline Rmiller

No new tech here just more expensive Roland stuff in a new wrapper. They are relying on their name’s reputation from the past. With what’s on the market today I can’t see many folks paying $1280 for a plastic bass drum (maybe for an exotic wood DW acoustic).

Offline Purpledc

I want the KD180 kick.

Offline Purpledc

Thats why the TD25KVX seems so odd to me.  $4000 for the big kick killer pads but a module that is less than the tier below it.  I guess if you are spending $4000 on that kit you could probably swing another $600 for the module and sell the TD25 module.  Either that or I wonder if they plan on doing an update on the TD25 to up its capabilities?

Offline rhysT

Thats why the TD25KVX seems so odd to me.  $4000 for the big kick killer pads but a module that is less than the tier below it.  I guess if you are spending $4000 on that kit you could probably swing another $600 for the module and sell the TD25 module.  Either that or I wonder if they plan on doing an update on the TD25 to up its capabilities?

Perhaps Roland could release TD25 MKII/Pro/etc versions and try to insult potential users intelligence like another company has!  ;) ;)

Btw for any new edrummers, the original DM10/X is officially "discontinued" and superseded by the enhanced Strike module: http://www.alesis.com/drum-kit-comparison 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:35:19 AM by rhysT »

Offline Purpledc

Perhaps Roland could release TD25 MKII/Pro/etc versions and try to insult potential users intelligence like another company has!  ;) ;)  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ona-RhLfRfc)

Btw, the original DM10/X is officially "discontinued" and superseded by the Strike module: http://www.alesis.com/drum-kit-comparison

Im not picking up on that one.  I can think of two companies actually that the above statement could apply to, lol.    I figured the DM10/X would be discontinued with the completely ill named replacements and then the strike coming to be.  I wonder if they will start selling strike modules soon.

Offline rhysT

Yeah my sarcasm was a bit cryptic but at least Roland deserve some credit for releasing the TD-17 brain at a competitive price that's likely to undermine sales of their relatively limited TD-25 module.

Surely Alesis realize that many of us just want another module and the TD-17 or DrumIt-3 will reduce demand for the Strike module.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:58:39 AM by rhysT »

Offline Purpledc

the td17 seems very limited in its ability to import sounds.  From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems they only allow you to import a single velocity sample.   It doesn't seem to be like the strike where you put several samples of a single instrument in your library and then make a multidimensional instrument from those multiple samples.  So like If I wanted to import a kick it would just be one velocity and would be machine gunny as all get out.   The lady doing a demo even said you can color the existing sounds with an imported sample and it sounds realistic because the layer in the module or base layer has all the dynamics to carry both layers.   I just don't see how that even comes close to what the strike can do.

But admittedly some don't need or even want to go that deep with it and the capabilities of the TD17 will be fine for them.   I just wouldn't be able to go backward like that after having the strike module.   

Offline Rmiller

It seems to me that all these companies dance around the center of what could be the ultimate module. It’s either not enough memory, too proprietary, limited sample support, etc. etc. etc. As long as the pads can trigger about any sound, why can’t they get it right. Buy mine, no buy mine it’s better and on and on. I must say the mimic comes closest but still no cigar for its price ( same for Roland TD50 as for price). It’s one or two steps from perfection (not TD50, it doesn’t come close) and still too proprietary as well as weak on sampling or 3rd party vst support. Hopefully one day it will be completely open.
  Roland just isn’t getting it at all. Way too expensive for what it is and behind the times of what they could be.  Alesis does well offering decent kits at there price point as long as they don’t break and they are still lacking in QC. The Strike module is a step in the right direction as long as they support it long term and hopefully past history doesn’t prove otherwise.
  For now I am with the drumit3. Can’t beat the price especially for what it’s capable of. Even though navigating it’s OS is a little cumbersome, the module performs well, especially with its open architecture and 3rd party VST support. It’s a lot cheaper than the mimic, very flexible and sounds great, which is what we’re really after anyway.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:48:25 PM by Rmiller »

Offline rhysT

the td17 seems very limited in its ability to import sounds.  From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems they only allow you to import a single velocity sample.   It doesn't seem to be like the strike where you put several samples of a single instrument in your library and then make a multidimensional instrument from those multiple samples.  So like If I wanted to import a kick it would just be one velocity and would be machine gunny as all get out.   The lady doing a demo even said you can color the existing sounds with an imported sample and it sounds realistic because the layer in the module or base layer has all the dynamics to carry both layers.   I just don't see how that even comes close to what the strike can do.

I'd be more interested in layering the TD-17's internal sounds for snare and kick combos like I've done with the DM10 instrument sounds.

Another limitation with the TD-17 module for me is its lack of a Midi In connector as I'd want the option to trigger it from my DM10 or Multi-12.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:32:31 AM by rhysT »

Online ChrisK

The layering sound in general works with snare and kick, that what they use in studio in most case, because its works. layering toms can be unrealistic, it's syn notes, with attack,  layering cymbal\ride can lead to phaser effect as well.

The sample imports in td-17, can be layered with internal sound, with velocity switch and level starting and end point.

Offline Purpledc

what do you mean by velocity switch?  That the td17 can switch between two different samples depending on the velocity?  Either way, even if just layering the kick and snare the td17 seems limited in its ability to even do that. 

Online ChrisK

what do you mean by velocity switch?  That the td17 can switch between two different samples depending on the velocity?  Either way, even if just layering the kick and snare the td17 seems limited in its ability to even do that.

You can layers Internal sound together, with velocity switch point, like  0-60 snare1 - 61-127 snare 2 etc.. or one wav imported layered with internal sound with velocity switch point. same as TD-50, it use TD-50 imports sound engine on td17.

It's limited on imports sound, but you can layers internal instruments, but that does not means it can sound better, you can mess up the sound, especially toms.