Author Topic: using MIDI out to use kit's drums in Ableton Live  (Read 1746 times)

using MIDI out to use kit's drums in Ableton Live
« on: February 10, 2018, 06:18:50 PM »
Hey.  I just got a Alesis DM10 Pro kit and was wondering how you to use the module's built in sounds and record that through a DAW.  Or basically I thought the usb port was for linking your computer to the module and using Superior Drummer's or whomever's sounds but that I could use the MIDI out on the module and plug that into my Komplete Audio 6's MIDI in... Shouldn't that allow me to use the kits built-in drums?  Thanks!  The last picture is what I expect to work and let me hear the module's builtin kits through my computer...

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: using MIDI out to use kit's drums in Ableton Live
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
If you're going to use Superior Drums or some other VST, that will forego the use of the module's internal sounds, replacing them with its own.

Have you checked out the Support section at Alesis.com for articles on this stuff?
Here's one for setting up the DM10 module with Ableton Live Lite 8 (should help for other versions of Ableton)
Alesis DM10 - Setup with Ableton Live Lite 8

Actually recording the sounds of the drum module onto your computer is a little different. You'll likely need an Audio Interface so that you have a means to use your outputs from the module to interface with your computer via USB or whatever interface you choose. Some PCs might have a decent sound card allowing us to simply plug into that. Not sure.

I haven't watched this video yet, but I remembered seeing that it was there, so I'm providing it here in case it helps:
How To Record Drum-covers With Electronic Drums (complete guide) - 65 Drums You Tube Channel

Hope this helps.

When my bands rehearse in our studio, we've only been using a single Master Out from my DM10, which makes it a Mono signal, into the PA, which is also all running through Pro Tools for professional recording. We don't actually go through the pro methods to make recordings, we're just getting a copy of our rehearsal for review of where we need more work, etc.,

Although my drums are only on the one track in Pro Tools, everything else is also individualized as it goes in. A very simple setup for speed and simplicity.

I also have a stored kit which sets my Snare drum to Master > Right (Snare voice is then panned all the way to the right), Bass drum to Master > Left (voice panned left), and everything else to AUX. This allows the use of the three individual outputs, Main R with send only the Snare and so forth. I think we might even be able to do the same with AUX, like send all cymbals out the AUX Right, Toms out AUX L, for example... but I'm not sure if that works on AUX as well.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist