Author Topic: Updated Strike firmware, but still won't let me reset hats  (Read 1713 times)

Offline JayBeatDrums

Updated Strike firmware, but still won't let me reset hats
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
So, a few days ago I updated the Strike module firmware, but it still won't let me reset the hi-hats like they say I should be able to. No reset button appears. Did I miss something?

After the update, my hats have been performing great, but I recently got a new hat stand and plugged things in and out while the module was turned on. BAD IDEA. the hats went crazy and actually crashed the module. After a restart, no mater how I tried to set the settings, they were acting the same way.

I read somewhere that they automatically calibrate, so I'm thinking maybe I did that by accident when plugging and unplugging them? I'm thinking a master reset button may be in order here... Or maybe I should run the firmware update again? I checked and it says 1.3 but I don't have the menu options I'm supposed to have. Genuinely confused about why the menu is different.
-Alesis Strike Pro, Gibraltar motorcycle throne with backrest, DW 5000 Accelerator double bass-

Offline Purpledc

Re: Updated Strike firmware, but still won't let me reset hats
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
the hi hat reset works but like many things with alesis they never explain it.   But here is what you got to do.   With any kit open go to your triggers menu.   Select your hi hat and in the lower left hand there will be a icon that says pedal.  Press that.  Once in there there will be an icon down there that says "hi hat reset".   

Now that button appears to do nothing.  As when you click on it it doesn't do anything.  It just light up blue.   There is no countdown.   But what you are supposed to do is hit f1 and f2 and right after pressing it start playing patterns on your hi hat.  Make sure to play as many patterns as you can in the open, half open and closed positions.   The module is learning your playing technique and is fine tuning the hi hat performance in the background.  It wont show any fine tuning adjustments.  As in any tweaks wont be shown in those pedal controls.   Once that blue icon that says "hi hat reset"  goes back to being grey you are done and your hi hat should work pretty good. From the time you hit reset you have 30 seconds to play the hi hats.   Just note if you ever change settings or hardware or even change cymbal height you want to do the process over again.   

In hindsight it would be awesome if they had some type of visual or audible cue.   There is a tutorial out there but its not easy to find.

Offline JayBeatDrums

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 05:25:33 PM »
Thanks for the info! I did that and it works perfectly now. Or at least good enough to play. I found the tutorial you were talking about. There is no way I would have figured that out without instruction. Now I think I will do that little trick other people have done with the felt or rubber grommet over the spring to make sure the top hat stays more open. After that, I think I will be really happy with it. 😁
-Alesis Strike Pro, Gibraltar motorcycle throne with backrest, DW 5000 Accelerator double bass-

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »
Thanks for the info! I did that and it works perfectly now. Or at least good enough to play. I found the tutorial you were talking about. There is no way I would have figured that out without instruction. Now I think I will do that little trick other people have done with the felt or rubber grommet over the spring to make sure the top hat stays more open. After that, I think I will be really happy with it. 😁

another thing I noticed is Alesis really cranked up the velocity needed to trigger the pads and cymbals.  If you are a fan or roland sensitivity I would look at your velocity settings in your "voice" section of kits.  You will see most cymbals are set at 99.  Nothing below 89.  That's nuts to me.  I lowered my cymbals down to 20 on the crashes, the ride when to 35 on the bell 20 on the edge and bow and then I set the velocity to 20 on the cymbals as well. This will really open them up and make them much more responsive and touch sensitive.   

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »

another thing I noticed is Alesis really cranked up the velocity needed to trigger the pads and cymbals.  If you are a fan or roland sensitivity I would look at your velocity settings in your "voice" section of kits.  You will see most cymbals are set at 99.  Nothing below 89.  That's nuts to me.  I lowered my cymbals down to 20 on the crashes, the ride when to 35 on the bell 20 on the edge and bow and then I set the velocity to 20 on the cymbals as well. This will really open them up and make them much more responsive and touch sensitive.

Yeah now that you mention it I've noticed that I really need to smack my hi-hat edge pretty hard to elicit an edge response in the module...I'm guessing that's probably why! 

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »

I thought it seemed a little hard to trigger my cymbals.  I set up my first two user kits last night, and came away kinda unimpressed with the cymbals.. My ride is near perfect, and the hi-hat is ok, but I couldn't get a good swell with my crashes.  I messed with the trigger settings and made some progress, but I didn't even think to double-check the velocity settings in the individual voices.  That will be my project for tonight, along with building the other two kits I need to meet the minimum requirements I have for the set list we have for our next gig.

I like how there's a constant reminder in the manual that the pads have all been optimized for out-of-box play.  I'm not finding that to be the case at all...

Thanks for the tip!

--
Shawn

Offline JayBeatDrums

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »
Purpledc, I will try messing with the settings too but the next time I get to play is band practice so I will have to wait until later I guess. That's all good info and I will take a screen to keep it on my mind.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
Purpledc, I will try messing with the settings too but the next time I get to play is band practice so I will have to wait until later I guess. That's all good info and I will take a screen to keep it on my mind.

maybe optimized for caveman style Neanderthal bashery. But anything with finesse?  Me thinks not.