Author Topic: Strike Pro Module expansion..?  (Read 4781 times)

Offline BobbyKidd

Strike Pro Module expansion..?
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
Hi folks, I'm short three inputs on one module to run all the pads that I've purchased extra for my Strike Pro. That's after using Y-cable splitters on the kick drums and two of the cymbals.
What would you recommend to expand inputs on the module? Would a ddrum IO work? If so, is there instructions anywhere that would walk me through setting it up? Thanks in advance!
Alesis Strike & Strike Pro Modules & Kits
Alesis D4 & DM5
Alesis SR16
Superior Drummer 3
Steven Slate Drums

Pro Drummer since 1979

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Strike Pro Module expansion..?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
Cheers BobbyKid, and I hope you're liking your new kit!

I don't know (not having one yet) if the Strike module came with extra MIDI notes to assign extra triggers to, but I'd be willing to bet it has at least enough for what you want to do. Might want to ask Alesis if nobody here responds with your answer.

As for setting it up, there's a whole pile of interesting MIDI info in this thread: DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad

I know it's about the DM10, not the Strike, but it still may hold some valuable reading for you.

Hope it helps  ;)
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
Would a ddrum IO work?
Sorry, forgot to mention that, I believe this is exactly what you need, yes.

Offline BobbyKidd

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
Thank you so much for your responses! I'll delve into it this coming week!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:59:10 PM by BobbyKidd »
Alesis D4 & DM5
Alesis SR16
Superior Drummer 3
Steven Slate Drums

Pro Drummer since 1979

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 04:18:50 PM »
Hi folks, I'm short three inputs on one module to run all the pads that I've purchased extra for my Strike Pro. That's after using Y-cable splitters on the kick drums and two of the cymbals.
What would you recommend to expand inputs on the module? Would a ddrum IO work? If so, is there instructions anywhere that would walk me through setting it up? Thanks in advance!
If you're using external software..EZ Drummer..Superior BFD etc , you could use an additionl TMI or module and connect to midi in on the STRIKE module and in utility turn on midi thru...then map the additonal module/TMI to the software

If you're planning on using the onboard kits/sounds....there aren't any additional notes/zones.
The STRIKE module currently doesn't have the midi capabilities as the DM10.. there is a limit to kit size so even if there were any extra notes/zones you would almost immediately exceed that limitation.
The kits..especially the 2 new ones added in v1.3 are already at/near the 200mb limit..1 kit is at 199mb..the other at 197mb... with just one layer.
You could split the rims on the toms if you don't use them....

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »
Thanks Chaser!
You know, to me this is all entirely understandable after seeing what all that crazy freaking Strike module is capable of. I truly had know idea. I loved the Strike from my first look, but then I saw Dan's videos on the Alesis site... yikes is that ever a cool brain!

It does hail the idea, however, that I think it would be a great move for Alesis to continue to offer the DM10 (pre-MKII) module - or offer another option like it.

But that's coming from me, and I'm quite new to all of this, and incredibly happy with my DM10X Mesh kit - and I play it live with a band and audience that's used to hearing me on my Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom acoustic kit. I thought it would be a tough sell - and before anyone heard it... it really was. People were saying bad things - I was a little nervous... kinda. But deep down, after only one rehearsal with my new Alesis, I knew I could sell it... and I did. Nay-sayers came up to me at their earliest convenience to apologize or otherwise exclaim how much they love the kit!

I bet the Strike kits are an even easier sell.

Sorry for the babble, and thanks again, Chaser!

Offline rhysT

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:08:49 AM »
If you're planning on using the onboard kits/sounds....there aren't any additional notes/zones.
The STRIKE module currently doesn't have the midi capabilities as the DM10.. there is a limit to kit size so even if there were any extra notes/zones you would almost immediately exceed that limitation.
The kits..especially the 2 new ones added in v1.3 are already at/near the 200mb limit..1 kit is at 199mb..the other at 197mb... with just one layer.

Maybe a Strike MkII module will have more 'grunt' in its sound engine to allow some of original DM10's extra notes/zones to be included and speed up Strike's current kit loading delays.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:19:33 AM by rhysT »

Offline BobbyKidd

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
Guys, thanks again. I'm really upset to find out that my only option with usisg the Strike module only, is splitting the rims and toms. It will be a pain in the neck to remember what is split to where.
Alesis D4 & DM5
Alesis SR16
Superior Drummer 3
Steven Slate Drums

Pro Drummer since 1979

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
Guys, thanks again. I'm really upset to find out that my only option with usisg the Strike module only, is splitting the rims and toms. It will be a pain in the neck to remember what is split to where.

Agreed it will be/is a pain...for now
For what it's worth...it doesn't mean it's not possible to use  external midi...just Alesis isn't saying for now

(Q)
"I'd appreciate some assistance in having the Alesis Strike module triggered from an external MIDI source. Basically, I want to be able to feed midi signals in through the 'Midi IN' port on the back of the module and have that trigger kits/instruments.
Where do I find the info for mapping incoming Midi signals to instruments?? I want to be able to send the right signal to trigger a snare or tom etc.
I've found info on Midi settings to use with sending MIDI signals out.... but not receiving Midi on the module and triggering instruments/kits.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. "

(A)
Thanks for posting.
I'm afraid this information is not publicly available. However, I'll be happy to submit this to my team as a feature request.

V1.3 was released a short time after allowing you to change the kit's using midi (use the kit number as it appears in the kit list in the module)
v1.3 update pg 3
Program Change Receive: Send MIDI program change messages to your Strike module’s MIDI input or USB port. The numbers of program change messages correspond to the kits listed in the current folder. Alternatively, send MIDI CC #118 to increment by one kit or MIDI CC #119 to decrement by one kit.

So maybe in a future update more midi will be implemented...at least it was acknowledged as possiblity....just not available to the public..

EDIT:NEW POST
STRIKE MODULE Triggering using External Module/TMI/Controller
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7535.0
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:08:41 PM by Chaser »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »

I have several of the inputs on my DM10 split.  It sounds like it's a similar process, so if it helps, here is what I did.  For what it's worth, I move my kit a lot, so the steps that I took were to make teardown and setup as fast as possible.

First of all, I added the Y cables to my cable group that goes into the my module.  I didn't use the splitter adapters (which may have been easier), but I bought the 6- and 9-foot Y cables. 

I positioned all of my cables so that the end going into the pads were attached to the rack as close to the pad as possible.  This made it a no-brainer for me when it came time to plug everything in.  I used the included cables wherever I could so that labeling wouldn't be an issue. 

I labeled each of these cables based on the function of the pad that it was connecting to.  I rarely change pad functions, just tweak sounds.

I then labeled the other end of the Y cable (module end) based on the input that it was splitting.

Now, when I move my kit, all I have to do is unplug everything, and I even used industrial strength velcro on the bottom of my module to attach it to the mounting plate.  This keeps me from having to fool with those small mounting screws in case the venue we're playing at is dark.  I used velcro cable ties to group the cables  and attach them to the rack.  That way I can change my configuration fairly easily if necessary.

Again, I hope this helps at least a little!

--
Shawn

Offline BobbyKidd

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
Iggford, yes that's exactly what I need to do: Split the four toms/rims (8 voices) to 6 toms + 2 (percussion pads to be added at a later date).  Then split two of the three Crash Cymbals (for a China-type & Splash).  I've already split the kick drums together. The industrial Velcro for the underside of the module is a very good idea.  I'd imagine it is much easier to transport it, since the mounting screws aren't being used and that holder is attached to the kit versus the module, itself.
Alesis D4 & DM5
Alesis SR16
Superior Drummer 3
Steven Slate Drums

Pro Drummer since 1979

Offline Iggford

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
Iggford, yes that's exactly what I need to do: Split the four toms/rims (8 voices) to 6 toms + 2 (percussion pads to be added at a later date).  Then split two of the three Crash Cymbals (for a China-type & Splash).  I've already split the kick drums together. The industrial Velcro for the underside of the module is a very good idea.  I'd imagine it is much easier to transport it, since the mounting screws aren't being used and that holder is attached to the kit versus the module, itself.

I rarely use rims (other than the snare), so I've still got some expansion room. 

I bought a set of Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, and the module that's included with them connects to its mounting plate with two thumb screws.  This was a great thought on their part, as it makes it much easier to just leave the plate connected to the rack when I transport it. 

The velcro works wonders for the DM10, too, though.  I've got it at at least a 45 degree angle, maybe a bit steeper now, and it doesn't give the first indication of trying to let go.  This was actually supposed to be a temporary fix, though, as I was going to go on the hunt for thumb screws to replace the pack-ins for connection of the module.  The velcro worked so well that I've just continued to use it.  I've been using it that way for almost a year now. 

One word of suggestion if you do decide to go that route:  use white velcro (or at least a light color).  It helps me make sure I've lined the velcro up properly so that it's got the best hold possible.  It's a big help in some of the darker venues we've set up in, and I've not had a single problem with it yet.

--
Shawn

Offline BobbyKidd

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 01:47:41 PM »
Shawn, where did you get your Y-cables? Can you send me a URL? I can't find the ones you're describing.  Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:03:07 PM by BobbyKidd »
Alesis D4 & DM5
Alesis SR16
Superior Drummer 3
Steven Slate Drums

Pro Drummer since 1979

Offline Iggford

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
Shawn, where did you get your Y-cables? Can you send me a URL? I can't find the ones you're describing.  Thanks so much!

I picked mine up from Guitar Center.  Not really knowing where you are, and if you have one near you, I did provide a link to what I believe is the ones I bought:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hosa/STP-203-Stereo-1-4-Phone-to-2-Mono-1-4-Phone-Insert-Cable.gc

There are various sizes, and I've got some of the 3-foot and 6-foot lengths.  There are also different grades of cables, with some being quite a bit more expensive.  I took the cheapest route that was available at my local GC, and I haven't had any issues with them.

Good luck!

--
Shawn

Offline BobbyKidd

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
I'm in Florida USA. I have a Guitar Center, and if I'm being honest; Amazon Prime will put it on my doorstep in 48 hours. ;)
Thank you for the link... I found these in 15ft to reach the far end (2 cymbals & 2 floor toms) of my kit.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:16:05 AM by BobbyKidd »
Alesis D4 & DM5
Alesis SR16
Superior Drummer 3
Steven Slate Drums

Pro Drummer since 1979

Offline Iggford

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
Awesome!  I've almost gone the Amazon Prime route on these also, but I always end up finding that I need them right then!  You're smart to go with the 15ft length.  I wish I had gone with a longer one the last time.  I tried to move my module to the other side of the kit, and found that none of my cables were long enough.  I just left it as it was for the time being.

--
Shawn.

Offline BobbyKidd

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »
Thank you brother!  Have a great weekend!
Alesis D4 & DM5
Alesis SR16
Superior Drummer 3
Steven Slate Drums

Pro Drummer since 1979

Offline Iggford

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »
No problem at all.  You have a great one as well!  Mine will be great, my new Strike arrived at the end of the week.. Time to get it up and running! :)

--
Shawn