Author Topic: help me with my project =P  (Read 1715 times)

help me with my project =P
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
Hi,

Over the years i have played mainly acoustic drums. I have dabbled in e drums but never been satisfied with how they feel. Here is my one and only claim to fame, a rubbish clip i did with the alesis DM5 kit when i was very about 15, poor drumming, poorly produced and i took a lot of hate for it haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdzFQf5ex4

Recently i have moved to a new house, terraced house with whiny neighbors on both sides. This house came with an attic room (perfect for a home recording space) so to be a good neighbour i want to go down the route of hybrid drums. I know A to E conversions arent as quiet as electric but after playing a few different kits i have decided that i cant be moved on it, for me electric drum kits plain and simply feel wrong.

So let me show you what i have done already,

It is a pearl forum fz rock size kit where i am using the 13" rack tom as a floor tom to make better use of my space (although the 16" will probably be added later anyway) haha. i have also added a cheap black mamba set to it so atleast i have cymbal triggers that work and side snare options. i am using pearl muffle heads on all the acoustic toms and snare, i know that aren't renowned for trigger response but i was given them so i'll cross that bridge later :P i have bought a 2 ply mesh head for the kick drum which finishes skinning the acoustic drums. The only other things i have bought are an alesis DM5 module as it was cheap and i'm familiar with it and a single ddrum redshot trigger to use on the snare so i could try this triggering business for myself....oh and a nice 2x2 red carpet  ;D

The next purchaces on the list are triggers for the kick and toms so then all the drums and drum pads will be triggered and good to go.

after that i will need advice from you guys to deceide which route im going down to make this a great setup. the thing to bare in mind is that i like kits with options, so 12 trigger inputs probably wont be quite enough for me.

one option i have thought about is buying a second hand DM10 kit so i can run the module alongside the DM5 and upgrade my side snares and gain crash and ride triggers all in one purchace.

I am also open to the idea of DIYing my own cymbal triggers, especialy the ride as i do like the idea of having a full size 20" ride trigger for looks and real feel.

basicaly guys after i have bought the kick and tom triggers in a few weeks time, the next step is undecided. Any help or advice you can give me will be apreciated, theres some knowlegeable people on here so i think im in the right place,

Thanks for reading  :)

pearl forum fz A to E conversion (half complete)
ddrum redshot triggers, Pearl muffle heads, unbranded 2 ply mesh kick head
Alesis DM5
Tama iron cobra jr double pedal

Offline Hellfire

Re: help me with my project =P
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
Hi,

Over the years i have played mainly acoustic drums. I have dabbled in e drums but never been satisfied with how they feel. Here is my one and only claim to fame, a rubbish clip i did with the alesis DM5 kit when i was very about 15, poor drumming, poorly produced and i took a lot of hate for it haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdzFQf5ex4

Actually for being 15 and from 2008, I didn't think it was all that bad. You might be almost 10 years older now, but you are still young and I would highly suggest you not worry about what some faceless jack holes say about you or your video on line. It's easy to be a critic, it's a lot harder to truly do something.

Recently i have moved to a new house, terraced house with whiny neighbors on both sides. This house came with an attic room (perfect for a home recording space) so to be a good neighbour i want to go down the route of hybrid drums. I know A to E conversions arent as quiet as electric but after playing a few different kits i have decided that i cant be moved on it, for me electric drum kits plain and simply feel wrong.

That's cool you have your own studio space. I want to address your comment "for me electric drum kits plain and simply feel wrong".
Many drummers that go from A drums to E drums feel this way today. Notice I said "today". That's because most drummers don't look at edrums as a unique instrument. Stop looking at edrums as replacements to acoustic drums. They were never meant as 100% replacements. They are actually their own instrument that happen to play very similarly to acoustic drums. With that mind, you will have to play them a little differently than you might be use to. Once you drop the idea that edrums are meant to be a true replacement for acoustic drums, the world of edrums will open up for you.

So let me show you what i have done already,

It is a pearl forum fz rock size kit where i am using the 13" rack tom as a floor tom to make better use of my space (although the 16" will probably be added later anyway) haha. i have also added a cheap black mamba set to it so atleast i have cymbal triggers that work and side snare options. i am using pearl muffle heads on all the acoustic toms and snare, i know that aren't renowned for trigger response but i was given them so i'll cross that bridge later :P i have bought a 2 ply mesh head for the kick drum which finishes skinning the acoustic drums. The only other things i have bought are an alesis DM5 module as it was cheap and i'm familiar with it and a single ddrum redshot trigger to use on the snare so i could try this triggering business for myself....oh and a nice 2x2 red carpet  ;D

The next purchaces on the list are triggers for the kick and toms so then all the drums and drum pads will be triggered and good to go.

after that i will need advice from you guys to deceide which route im going down to make this a great setup. the thing to bare in mind is that i like kits with options, so 12 trigger inputs probably wont be quite enough for me.

one option i have thought about is buying a second hand DM10 kit so i can run the module alongside the DM5 and upgrade my side snares and gain crash and ride triggers all in one purchace.

I am also open to the idea of DIYing my own cymbal triggers, especialy the ride as i do like the idea of having a full size 20" ride trigger for looks and real feel.

basicaly guys after i have bought the kick and tom triggers in a few weeks time, the next step is undecided. Any help or advice you can give me will be apreciated, theres some knowlegeable people on here so i think im in the right place,

Thanks for reading  :)

Unfortunately in edrums, the more you spend the better the experience. Yes there are some ways to trim the cost down a little, but you are not going to be able to get a top of the line kit for pennies on the dollar. It just doesn't work that way.

With that said, I think you are on the right tack with your A to E conversion. The DM5 is a very limited module. Remember the DM5 was design and made back in 1996. By the time you made your video in 2008 the module was already 12 year old. That doesn't mean it's unusable, it just means it's limited.

Keep in mind there are 3 different DM10 modules: DM10 (original), DM10 MKII, and DM10 MKII Pro. All different from each other. For sound quality your best bet is to use a computer/laptop with a VSTi installed. You will still need a drum module and I would suggest you buy the best module you can afford. You may want to look at used modules to save some money.

One more thing, the DIY route can be very gratifying but, it can be a hard way to go. Take your time and don't rush things.

Re: help me with my project =P
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »

Actually for being 15 and from 2008, I didn't think it was all that bad. You might be almost 10 years older now, but you are still young and I would highly suggest you not worry about what some faceless jack holes say about you or your video on line. It's easy to be a critic, it's a lot harder to truly do something.

That's cool you have your own studio space. I want to address your comment "for me electric drum kits plain and simply feel wrong".
Many drummers that go from A drums to E drums feel this way today. Notice I said "today". That's because most drummers don't look at edrums as a unique instrument. Stop looking at edrums as replacements to acoustic drums. They were never meant as 100% replacements. They are actually their own instrument that happen to play very similarly to acoustic drums. With that mind, you will have to play them a little differently than you might be use to. Once you drop the idea that edrums are meant to be a true replacement for acoustic drums, the world of edrums will open up for you.

Unfortunately in edrums, the more you spend the better the experience. Yes there are some ways to trim the cost down a little, but you are not going to be able to get a top of the line kit for pennies on the dollar. It just doesn't work that way.

With that said, I think you are on the right tack with your A to E conversion. The DM5 is a very limited module. Remember the DM5 was design and made back in 1996. By the time you made your video in 2008 the module was already 12 year old. That doesn't mean it's unusable, it just means it's limited.

Keep in mind there are 3 different DM10 modules: DM10 (original), DM10 MKII, and DM10 MKII Pro. All different from each other. For sound quality your best bet is to use a computer/laptop with a VSTi installed. You will still need a drum module and I would suggest you buy the best module you can afford. You may want to look at used modules to save some money.

One more thing, the DIY route can be very gratifying but, it can be a hard way to go. Take your time and don't rush things.

Thanks for your input hellfire, i just want to make a few things a little more clear as i don't think i explained myself as well as i could have.

For a start i appreciate that e drums are a different instrument to acoustic kits completely and that there are pros and cons/benefits for each individual drummer on both sides. all i'm trying to make clear is that i prefer the feel of being behind an acoustic kit and and i'm trying to create a practice kit that is as close to that feel as i can. if my practice space was in a detatched house then i would be using my acoustic kit and i would have no reason to be posting on this forum.

I have kept the snare wires and resonant heads on the bottom of all my drums so that they still hold some of their tone so that i dont have to turn the electronics on to have a quick practice at rolls etc, if i turn it on then the snare wires get turned off but i like them being on there as an option. the idea is to bring some of the edrum potential to compliment an acoustic kit that is severely lacking in volume.

i am not opposed to spending good money on good equipment and if the need calls to spend £700 on a drum module for example then that will be the way i go. for now i'm just looking for a basic setup to get the hang of the whole drum triggering business on a single zone basis all round and upgrade from there, which the DM5 is completely capable of.

I am in no rush to do anything, would prefer to learn as much as i can about the equipment i'm new too before i spend the money on it, so far it has cost me less than £100 and it is little more than an experiment right now (it isn't even fully triggered). I am a family man and disposable income is not much for me right now.

Thanks for the advice on the VSTi route, i have to say it isn't something i had considered and does look like a good way to go down the line, great advice like that is what i am here for. =)

kick drum and tom triggers are on order so that is the next baby step. =)

thanks again

pearl forum fz A to E conversion (half complete)
ddrum redshot triggers, Pearl muffle heads, unbranded 2 ply mesh kick head
Alesis DM5
Tama iron cobra jr double pedal