Author Topic: Recently purchased DM10MKII Pro, Should I Keep Module?  (Read 2173 times)

Recently purchased DM10MKII Pro, Should I Keep Module?
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »
Recently picked up the new DM10MKII Pro kit. This is to replace a decade old TD-4 kit with a TD-9 module.  After living with it for a bit, I love the kit. Reminds me a lot of my old Hart Dynamics Studio kit.

That said, I’m just not very happy with the sound. My TD-9 sounded great with the Master 50 Vexpressions pack. Those who’ve got this module, will I eventually be able to lock this in to something I enjoy?  Am I being impatient?  Will I get there with this module?

Is it just a matter of the familiar vs the unknown?

Advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:23:47 AM by clerkdante »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Recently purchased DM10MKII Pro, Should I Keep Module?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 09:54:29 AM »
Recently picked up the new DM10MKII Pro kit. This is to replace a decade old TD-4 kit with a TD-9 module.  After living with it for a bit, I love the kit. Reminds me a lot of my old Hart Dynamics Studio kit.

That said, I’m just not very happy with the sound. My TD-9 sounded great with the Master 50 Vexpressions pack. Those who’ve got this module, will I eventually be able to lock this in to something I enjoy?  Am I being impatient?  Will I get there with this module?

Is it just a matter of the familiar vs the unknown?

Advice is appreciated.

That's a tough question to answer because, the "DM10MKII Pro" is so new there just aren't many people who have it yet or have even heard it. To add to the confusion it's going to be hard to find others with that particular kit because Alesis has confused the "DM10" modules. There are actually three different DM10 modules and they are all totally different from each other (and I'm sure they all sound different):

- DM10
- DM10MKII
- DM10MKII Pro

I'm pointing this out because many believe they are all the same and they are not and I'm hoping you find others with the exact module that you have. I've added a picture to this post for clarification.

I don't own the DM10MKII or MKII Pro so I can't be much help, but hopefully someone else will also have a MKII Pro that can help you.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
I’m starting to learn that the hard way. Even on their official website forum the response I received included links and manuals relating to the original DM10 module. I’ve never used it, but based on what I saw, there aren’t a lot of similarities between the modules, for example the DM10MKII Pro module has no global trigger settings that I can find.

Going to be a long journey.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »
I’m starting to learn that the hard way. Even on their official website forum the response I received included links and manuals relating to the original DM10 module. I’ve never used it, but based on what I saw, there aren’t a lot of similarities between the modules, for example the DM10MKII Pro module has no global trigger settings that I can find.

Going to be a long journey.

It's will be an adventure for sure , being one of the first...I haven't been able to find many video's for the MKII Pro.
As for Global Settings..In the User Guide page 9...Trigger Settings

"The  drum  module  also  lets  you  customize  the  settings  of  each  trigger  (drum  pad  or  cymbal 
pad).  You  can  change  its  parameters,  letting  you  customize  your  kit  to  your  playing  style. 
These settings are “global” and therefore apply to all kits. DM10 MKII Pro has a set of preset
trigger settings and 5 user adjustable trigger settings. "

The rest of the page explains editing the settings..

One thing to remember .....To  save  your  changes,  press F3-Save..Otherwise,  your  changes  will  be  lost  when  you 
power off the drum module.

Also..Be aware  DM10 MKII Pro will automatically power off if no activity is detected for 30 minutes.
The last thing you want to happen is spend a lot of time editing the settings etc , get distracted or take a break come back to find out it powered down without saving.
You can enable or disable this function in the Utility page.

EDIT:
I tried to attach the User Guide ..but the file is too large
http://alesis.com/products/view/dm10-mkii-pro-kit

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:52:15 PM by Chaser »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »
FWIW here's a link to the Medeli DD650 manual which may be useful for fine-tuning your DM10 MkII Pro module.

http://www.mecldata.com/download/manual/AW_DD650_manual_G04_150923.pdf
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:30:00 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »
Thanks gang. The help is truly appreciated.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 12:57:35 PM »
FWIW here's a link to the Medeli DD650 manual which may be useful for fine-tuning your DM10 MkII Pro module.

That manual has nothing to do with the "DM10 MKII Pro" module. That is for the "DM10 MKII" module. There's a difference.

This is part of the problem. Even long time users are getting confused. There are three different DM10 modules. Again, each one is different from the other. Guys, it's bad enough that Alesis is confusing their customers, lets not be adding to that confusion.

The manual you linked to clearly looks like the middle module in my picture. Please see this picture below as a reference (you will need to be logged in to see it):

Clerkdante stated he has the "Pro" version and not the plain MKII version.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »
Added comparison chart to help with the confusion on the DM0 MKII Studio and the DM10 MKII Pro
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7167.0
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:10:05 PM by Chaser »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »

That manual has nothing to do with the "DM10 MKII Pro" module. That is for the "DM10 MKII" module. There's a difference.

Yeah fair call HF, I was aware of the difference with Clerkdante's MKII Pro and just thought the DD650 manual could have more useful info about its trigger and other settings than the original DM10 manual that Alesis support had suggested.