Author Topic: Hi hats  (Read 1609 times)

Hi hats
« on: July 30, 2017, 10:10:20 PM »
Was wanting to upgrade my hi hat on my DM-10 but after reading around here not sure if there is a better option. Not really worried about price but don't want to waist money either. What are you guys opinions on best hi hat setup for the DM-10?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:01:07 AM by GhsBryan »

Offline Iggford

Re: Hi hats
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
This is going to sound really weird and like a real waste of money.. But maybe not...

I was having the same problem with my DM10 kit.  I wasn't really happy with the hi-hat that came with the DM10, and I even switched out the pad with a couple of different Roland cymbals that I had.  I have an old Roland CY-5 that worked slightly better, but I was still not satisfied. 

I purchased a Pro-X Hi-Hat at the end of 2016.  I ended up ready to send it back about 2 weeks later, but was able to work out some of the kinks.  Six months later, and I still wasn't completely happy with its performance.  Since it was too late to send back by now, I took the top cymbal from the Pro-X and mounted it like the original DM10 hi-hat, and I reconnected my RealHat pedal.

I have to say that this is the best setup that I've had so far.  It's still not 100%, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was.  I don't know if it has anything to do with that Pro-X cymbal, but it will serve the purpose well until I can find a better solution.  Every place I've looked is asking about the same price for just a cymbal pad, so I really don't think I'm out any money.  I was even able to use the hi-hat stand I bought on my older practice kit.  I'm planning to upgrade to a Pearl Mimic Pro module after the first of next year, so I will probably wait to see if that solves the problem completely, as I'm mostly satisfied with the results I've gotten for now..

Hope this helps!

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »
Thank you. Yeah I just wanted to get some ideas from everyone. I was about to buy a pintech visulite setup but too many mixed reviews.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
From when I was looking around, I saw decent things about the GoEdrum Hi-hat controller. It works just like the VH-11, but is $50.  It is all plastic, so I am not sure about long term durability, but it could be worth a shot as it is a cheap option to start with.  It just mounts on a hi-hat stand and then you can use whatever cymbal you have for it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:02:53 PM by bluemx »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
I've been thinking of giving that one a try, but just haven't made the purchase yet.  I guess it would be worth it either way, as if it was a better solution now, maybe it would carry over even better when I upgrade.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »
I've been thinking of giving that one a try, but just haven't made the purchase yet.  I guess it would be worth it either way, as if it was a better solution now, maybe it would carry over even better when I upgrade.

If you are considering a Mimic Pro upgrade check out the info in this Vdrums forum topic (#988):
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/1160952-official-users-topic-pearl-mimic-pro/page66

The Alesis RealHat CV control pedal should also function OK with the new Pearl module.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:19:47 PM by rhysT »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:27 AM »
If you are considering a Mimic Pro upgrade check out the info in this Vdrums forum topic (#988):
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/1160952-official-users-topic-pearl-mimic-pro/page66

The Alesis RealHat CV control pedal should also function OK with the new Pearl module.

Wow, thanks, rhysT!  I actually have an FD-7 pedal from my old kit, as well as a CY-5.  That makes me feel really confident that my current setup will work well with the Mimic.  I'll hold off on any hi-hat upgrades until after I make that change.

Thanks again!