Author Topic: Hi hat replacement for dm10  (Read 1681 times)

Offline GiulioG10

Hi hat replacement for dm10
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
Hi, since my pro x broke, i wanted to know if there are other hi hats (even not alesis) that can work, hopefully better, with my dm10.

Offline Dobly

Re: Hi hat replacement for dm10
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 02:19:53 AM »
I'm keen see what comes out of this thread. I'll not be getting the Pro X as it sounds like it's rubbish. I did have the Gen 16 cymbals for a while and the hi hat on that was ok. But I sold that whole set as it was horrendous.

Maybe the Strike kit will have good hi hat. Wouldn't that be great?

Offline Sal

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »
You may want to search around, but I think I've seen some posts about using gen 16s all around. I think (like with most things Alesis) that it'll all come down to how you tweak it and what compromises you'll have to make to get it to work.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 02:04:29 AM »
You may want to search around, but I think I've seen some posts about using gen 16s all around. I think (like with most things Alesis) that it'll all come down to how you tweak it and what compromises you'll have to make to get it to work.

You don't think the Gen16s are Alesis do you? They were made by Zildjian and I can vouch for how dreadful they are.
There was no amount of tweaking that could make the Gen16 ride or crash sound good. The ride was a mess.. Hit had a horrible top end ring that would cause feedback no matter how little of them you put in your speakers.

The hats were 'ok'. But if they don.t sound good before processing, nothing can make them sound better. Word is they are very fragile too.

The crash was the pits. Unmusical junk. You cannot polish the proverbial and there was nothing you could do to this crash to make it enjoyable.

Offline Sal

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
Well I stand corrected! I thought I had read otherwise, but that's some real world experience there.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline GiulioG10

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
In the end I used the original hi hat that came with my x kit as the top cymbal. The noise is obviously less than before and I'm overall kinda happy with it

Offline Sal

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »
And that was basically just plug and play?

Offline Dobly

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 10:28:35 PM »
Well I stand corrected! I thought I had read otherwise, but that's some real world experience there.

Yeah, a year or so after they released the first round of Gen16s they released this 'direct source' pickup. Named something like that anyway..

The idea was that a new little sensor was attached to the cymbal so it would only activate the microphones when the cymbal was ringing a certain amount. Sort of like a gate.

This would address the feed back problem somewhat and should have been a free upgrade to anyone who bought the first round of Gen16s. They were over $100 each.

I sold the Gen16s.

Offline GiulioG10

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »
Yeah, it was plug and play