Author Topic: DM10 MKII PRO Custom Hi Hat Sample HELP PLS  (Read 1689 times)

DM10 MKII PRO Custom Hi Hat Sample HELP PLS
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
Okay so I have a DM10MKIIPro module. I know how to add custom sounds with multiple layers and what not, but the only trouble I'm having is that I can't get the hi hat to play a closed sound when I push the pedal using a custom sound. Has anyone figured it out? Im adding Sabian HHX cymbals to the kit and all I need is to get the hi hat sounds working. IThe hi hat pedal works with preloaded sounds but I can't figure out how to do it with sounds I load myself. Please help, alesis isn't :(

Offline VandalX

Re: DM10 MKII PRO Custom Hi Hat Sample HELP PLS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »
Hi. Fellow DM10 MKII Pro user here. I didn't have any luck  getting custom sounds loaded onto the module itself. I finally gave up and went with a VST (Addictive Drums 2). I was impatient, but I'd like to figure that out someday. Any tips you might have about the steps to do this would be appreciated. Most of the advice and tips on here seem to center around the original DM10 module, which has a different way of doing things. Us MKII users (Pro and Studio) seem to be in short supply.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question, but I can't get ANY custom sounds loaded to the module. I did follow the "directions" but they seem to me to be vague and less-than-helpful. I have a ton of .svx files as well as wav samples, but loading them into the module from a USB drive only ends up with error messages.

Just thought I'd chime in and say "hi" and I commiserate with any MKII problems you might be experiencing.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:56:41 AM »
Sorry for not checking, I made a video about adding sounds and a separate video for trigger settings, this might help

https://youtu.be/yPy5KtwDyJw

But just so you know, there isn't very much space on the module because of all the bloated garbage kits. I ended up running superior drummer 3 and the metal foundry. I'll probably end up getting a mimic pro and scrapping this module though. Even alesis refuses to comment on it which is why I came here. It's been a week since I messaged them and even their support team won't email me back even though I have a busted pad. And I still cant figure out the hi hat ;-; I hi hate it

Offline VandalX

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »
Thanks for the video link. I will give it another go, but I'm pretty sure I got to that point and ended up getting error messages. It was about this time that I moved to Addictive. I really dig the ability to customize outside of the tiny little '80s-era monochrome module screen. Plus, it allows for almost infinite kit availability. Of course, it also adds layers of complexity that might hinder flow in high-stakes situations (live gigs, recording sessions, kidnappings). But I like to tinker.

Sorry to hear of your issues with Alesis Customer Service. I've had pretty good luck getting a response, though no actual answers as to why the trigger constantly fail. They just offer to send me a new pad as a replacement. Sure, this is nice and all, but once the warranty is up, I'll be holding the bag for repairs. That's why I embarked upon a journey to fix the weak points myself. I shouldn't have to do this with a new piece of equipment, but really, what do you expect for $1200! That was sarcasm.

I'm posting my fixes for these issues later today for users of the DM10 MKII Pro (and studio) mesh pad triggers. The pad design of other models (older DM10s, Command, etc) seem to be slightly different, but the triggers all function (they're 27mm piezo disc transducers) and seemingly fail in the same way. Solder joints break and the hair-thin wires have poor insulation and crack under usage. I've had both of these issues happen on new pads with very few hours of playing on them. Sometimes, I've had both- solder pops off and wire cracks- on the same pad. I sent my first kit back completely, as I bought it through Amazon Prime and they just dealt with it all. InMusic (Alesis parent company) also sent me two new pads as a response to my initial warranty issue. So I ended up with a replacement kit from Amazon, and two additional pads. This was fortuitous, as the pads on the new kit also began to fail the same way. I contacted Alesis (again) and this time they actually had a dialog with me, and offered to send two more pads to replace the defective ones. I suggested that this is a perennial problem, and they've yet to acknowledge this as widespread. Maybe it's not and I'm just unlucky. However, going through the Alesis community pages offers good insight as to how many people across the entire Alesis product line have build quality issues.

My latest failure was the kick drum pad. This was after I found a good fix for my 12" pads with failed triggers. If it's not one thing, it's another. And another. So I did the "surgery" yesterday, and I found the trigger had failed in the same way as the 12" pads. It was slightly more involved since the trigger mount and foam cylinder is a little more complex and tricky to remove. Of all the places that Alesis has found a good adhesive, it's on the kick drum trigger cone (foam cylinder, really). So removing it was "fun." I had planned on replacing the foam completely if it was destroyed in the removal process. But it worked for me. I played flat-out for a while to smoke test my fixes and so far everything is working out well. I'm working on a new trigger system that will allow for easier removal and replacement without having to solder everything when things inevitably fall apart. Well,, it will be new to me. I'm sure many others have their unique fixes for this problem.

I hope you get an answer for the hi-hat issue. Keep pinging Alesis. I'm of the opinion that they operate a customer service center that deals with all of InMusic's properties, so they probably have a TON of backlogged complaints.

Happy drumming!
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.