Author Topic: Mesh Heads Not Standard (Strike Kit)?  (Read 2434 times)

Online Hellfire

Mesh Heads Not Standard (Strike Kit)?
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »
I've been playing a lot on my Strike kit and today I decided to try installing other mesh heads I had sitting around. Of the three different brands I have NONE of them fit.

I was just starting to like this kit and now I find out the drums shells are not exactly 100% real size. The outside diameter on the drums is the nominal measurement (not good). For instance the 12" inch drum is 12" inches outside diameter (again, not good). That is not standard. The outside diameter of a 12" inch drum is supposed to be no more than 11-7/8" outside diameter. That way a standard 12" inch drum head will fit (as a 12" drumhead has an inside diameter of 12 inches).

Alesis seems to have made their stock heads slightly larger than standard to accommodate their weird drum shell size.

Didn't Alesis say these are "real drum sizes"? Am I missing something??? :o

Offline JimmyB

Re: Mesh Heads Not Standard (Strike Kit)?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:33:07 PM »
Had the same issue with dm10.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
Had the same issue with dm10.

I have the DM10 Pro kit and it was not an issue for me on that kit. That is why I'm surprised. I didn't realize Alesis changed the DM10 pad sizes after the Pro kit release.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
The 12 inch hoops were too big on mine.
The heads would slip through without careful shimming.
JimmyB

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »
The 12 inch hoops were too big on mine.
The heads would slip through without careful shimming.
JimmyB

Honestly that's a very fixable issue. Get a different hoop but, it's not a fixable issue on the Strike pads as heads don't fit over the shells to begin with. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for a shell being too large around.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »
Wow. I didn't know that about DM10 (or Strike)!

I was just looking around to find a replacement head for my DM10's 8" bass drum, and they seem pretty scarce. Bill R on the Alesis forum helped me get in contact with the Alesis parts/service center and I'm going to order my heads from them - luckily for me I like the Alesis heads, at least for the DM10.

This is crazy news... I was thinking of getting a Strike eventually... not sure I still have that opinion now.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 01:31:37 AM »
I have to say... now looking a little closer at the Strike kits and the possibilities via the software editor and everything... I really want one!

I guess I would (at least until other options are discovered?) have to order all of my heads through Alesis.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »
I have to say... now looking a little closer at the Strike kits and the possibilities via the software editor and everything... I really want one!

I guess I would (at least until other options are discovered?) have to order all of my heads through Alesis.

To be honest, most people do not burn through mesh heads the same as standard acoustic heads. Most two ply mesh heads last a long time, sometime for many years. The only exception is the bass drum trigger, but that is 100% do to user error. Players new to edrums (with mesh heads) don't realize you are NOT suppose to use a felt beater on the mesh. The felt beater acts like sand paper and will burn through the mesh head with in a couple weeks. The way to fix this is to use a plastic beater, but for some strange reason people don't do that. They insist on using a bass drum patch and then complain that the bass trigger is physically too loud when they play.  ::)

(hint: the patch isn't needed when using a plastic beater and you still maintain relatively quite play).

The only reason I pointed out the heads not being standard on the Strike is because some users don't like the black color of the stock heads. Many drummers like the "Roland" look and want to change out the black heads for white "REMO Silent Stroke" heads. They will find out very quickly that REMOs will not fit.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 02:13:12 AM »
It is a bummer. Really is.

Yeah, the only reason I'm having to replace my bass head is because all I had were those darned felt beaters I've love for so many years. I have to say, after seeing how they melted my otherwise rather indestructible little bass head, I really had no reservations to move on to some nice plastic beaters. I guess wood works too, but I'm using Pearl Plastic Beaters.

Aside from the heads thing, how are you enjoying your new kit? They sure do look fantastic, both aesthetically and statistically. Looks like a dream e-kit, actually!

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:38 PM »
I'm looking at replacing my strike pro mesh heads with something better, drum-tec design or real feels probably. Anyone have experience with these? Would they fit? I read somewhere that the strike pads aren't really true to size so compatibility may be an issue.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »
I'm looking at replacing my strike pro mesh heads with something better, drum-tec design or real feels probably. Anyone have experience with these? Would they fit? I read somewhere that the strike pads aren't really true to size so compatibility may be an issue.

I merged your topic with the existing topic about mesh heads on the Strike. So yes, you read somewhere and that somewhere was most likely here.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »
Well I bought a 14" 3ply mesh from Prism and it fits perfectly on the snare. These are apparently the same as the billy blast mesh heads. What manufacturers did you try that didn't fit? I can't imagine the size's fluctuate much between manufacturers.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »
Well I bought a 14" 3ply mesh from Prism and it fits perfectly on the snare. These are apparently the same as the billy blast mesh heads. What manufacturers did you try that didn't fit? I can't imagine the size's fluctuate much between manufacturers.

I tried:

• Billy blast 3-ply mesh (new old stock from three years ago)
• Remo Silent Stroke (Bought new when first on the market and never used)
• Hart Dynamic Magnum (new old stock never used)

So all threes heads were never used until I tried to put them on my Strike kit. Not one of these fit my 12 inch tom. They would not fit over the shell. The shell's actual diameter is 12 inches on the mark, which is not standard for a 12 inch drum shell. A 12 inch drum shell is suppose to be between 11-3/4" to 11-7/8" diameter. I did not check any of the other drums as I didn't feel it was necessary since I couldn't change the whole kit to match.

Admittedly I have one of the first Strike kits to hit the market and maybe Alesis made some changes along the way. That is the only thing I can think of that would allow some to be able to use after market heads and not others.