Author Topic: New DM Strike kit.. :)  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Dobly

New DM Strike kit.. :)
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:19:10 AM »
Thought that would get your attention. :)

I liked the look of the new Strike kit, so I thought it a good time to update the wrap on my dm10 kit.

Here is the wrap on this 10" pad with it's glue drying.

The wrap I got from the amazingly helpful and top bloke Shaun at DrummerBase.com

http://www.drummersbase.com.au/drum-wrap-c3/

The wrap for my entire DM10X kit was < $80 AUS.

Not much to make it look sort of like a Strike kit. :)

Changing the wrap of these pads is a 2/10 diy job. Very very easy.

Offline AlanK

Re: New DM Strike kit.. :)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
Hey that looks AweSome! Great job and yeah, it definitely makes it look like the new Strike kit and I bet your kit really stands out now  :D  don't ya just love those little DIY's that make ya proud of your drums?!? The red looks amazing.. post some full kit pics when you have a chance
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »
Will do Alan. Silly me did not order enough of the stuff so I've only done that 10" tom and the bass drum now. (image of the bass drum being added here soon.)

Will be a couple of weeks before I can order the rest of wrap.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:52:13 PM »
The bass drum

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:02:09 AM »
Looks good. I'm thinking about doing this to my pdp fs kit after I convert it to electric.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »
Yes that kick looks really nice, does it ever show well ! Can't wait to see the whole thing.

I did mine and thought I'd done a pretty good estimate of how much I'd need and also ran out in the first run when I bought a woodgrain veneer roll..hahaha.. I think I got the 8 and 10 inch upper toms, one floor tom and half of the other 12" tom! Did better when I found the blue sparkle trim cuz it was about 3" wide and was able to wrap each shell, trim the strip in half and use the leftover elsewhere.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Sal

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »
NICE! Seeing all of these wrap jobs are inspiring me. My last acoustic set was green, so maybe it's time to play homage to that one...
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »
Time for an update.. The job is almost done.

Some of you may recall several months ago I used a very long and hard method of making the shallow DM10 12" shells taller. Where i built a jig and glued about 6 layers of laminate together.

Worked well but was way too much work.

I looked at the image of my 10" drum above and was not happy with how little of the new red covering I could actually see. So I decided to raise these shells as well.

This time however I had a much better solution.

Embroidery hoops!!

These can be got at sewing shops and cost me around $4AU each (that is a about $1.50US at the moment) ;)

I bought 2 x 10" embroidery hoops..

They are almost the perfect size as you can see below.

Each set has an outer and inner hoop.

After some measuring up and cutting I got the two parts of each glued together with a neat split where I could glue and peg it at exactly the right spot.

The coins helped keep the edges flush.

Once they dried my 10" shells looked like this.

I will clean the shells up a little, but in the scheme of things, this is all getting covered with new wrap anyway. As i've changed the height of these I need to order new wrap. So these will not be done for a week or two.

I did however get the 12" drums covered.

I mentioned above the laminate I used to raise the shell height on my 12" shells?

Ugly but does the job.

Here are my 12"shells now. :)

Next photos will be after I get my 10" wrap delivered.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:24:34 AM by Dobly »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
Hey Dobly, this is exciting! I'm loving watching this all come together, great job and great ideas! I did consider those embroidery rings some time ago also.. was in a craft store looking for something and saw them hanging on the wall and was tempted but had to rush that afternoon and never went back. Awesome to see how you're putting it all together, I can't wait til you finish and post more pics! Superb work  :D

Offline AlanK

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
I think that half the fun of having an Alesis is all the DIY that's possible to make it your own.. if you had a Roland flagship, or Yamaha, or one of those fancy e-kits that is expensive and looks amazing right out of the box, you may never have to tweak the module or add pads and cymbals, or try out mods and snazz things up make your kit look like a million bucks.

The DM10X (I can't speak for the other kits) is fun to play, and with a small investment to add mesh, it's great to play and for a fraction of the cost it's such a contender for the other more expensive models/companies. And I love to get on my kit and go nuts for hours on end. But the other half of the fun is coming up with cool ways to make it my own, or improve on something.. adding another crash gives you four to slam on (if you use the ride crash as well, 5 if you use open hat sometimes). You don't usually get that with other kits, even more expensive ones. And in general (DM10 and up) you've got 4 toms at the outset.. you can still add more. Then there's the flair, you can add some wrap, or deepen the size of the shells, you can swap in a 12" kick instead of the 8 and so on.

For tinkerers like me, that's something that I love to do almost as much as actually playing the kit! I don't think people would do it on a top line Roland.. I mean, you wouldn't likely have to or want to change them. But then, you'd have paid out 8 or 9 grand to have a set that matches the size of an Alesis DM10 or similar. I want things to work, to be playable and to look good, but I haven't got 9000 bucks, and I also love to toy around with making things either better or make it reflect my taste and that's part of why I love my Alesis so much.

I'm excited to see this Strike series if it ever comes out.. I'm tempted to take the plunge and I do love the new look. I want to feel how the cymbals react and sound, how the hi-hat is improved, the mesh and the depth of the shells and the new large kick and the module of course.. but I'm also happy continuing to work on my set with the DM10 module (which I usually run with Addictive anyways and its great) and then go on modding my existing set.. or perhaps someday I'll buy a cheap used acoustic set and convert it, using my e-cymbals and the hats, maybe keep a couple pads for extras.

Seeing what Dobly is doing and other posters have done just inspires me more and more. I really don't want a Yamaha, or a Roland, I'm really glad that when I dove into e-drumming I chose Alesis. And even though they suck with this whole delay with the Strike line taking forever, I'm still having a blast with my ongoing DM adventure.. just thought I'd share my enthusiasm, lol

Offline Dobly

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
You would have seen on my other thread here...

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6712.0

... i  have had an issue with a lug threading. I suspect that the thickness of the wrap doubled up where it joins has caused the issue. I'll be cuttting the wrap and butting the joins as close as I can. Ie: no overlap. Then carefully sanding the top edge of the wrap so the head slips over it better. This wrap is a mm or 2 thicker than the wrap that was on these shells before.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 07:10:03 AM »
The 2 on the left are the 10" shells that I made taller the other day. The wrap arrive today.

The one on the right is the one that was trapped by a threaded lug. Once I got it out it took the covering off and re attached it with no overlap.

Will be a few days before I can get a worthy money shot of the kit now. On the weekend most likely. I'm keen to see it myself. 

Offline Dobly

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »
Job done.. Looks pretty darn nice, even if i do say so myself.   :D

Offline AlanK

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »
Looks FanTastic, Dobly! wow it totally pops red sparkle  8)

Now you have me wanting to do mine with the craft hoops.. maybe try 2 of them bonded together and get a super deep shell  lol

Ah, the bug has bitten! Anyways, awesome drum improvement and damn inspiring

Offline Dobly

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 08:21:23 PM »
Looks FanTastic, Dobly! wow it totally pops red sparkle  8)

Now you have me wanting to do mine with the craft hoops.. maybe try 2 of them bonded together and get a super deep shell  lol

Yeah. I had the same thought. Once I got this done I was thinking I could make them much deeper. Maybe next year. mmmm??? Electric blue perhaps. :)

Offline AlanK

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
Hahahaha, I like the way you think! My second wrap mod was a roll of wall border I found at Walmart for 7 bucks or so.. it was 2" and I still had to trim it down. If I could even get my shells to have that size depth it would be an improvement.. or.. I could try to mate up two rolls over a 4" double set of wood hoops and hope the binding middle seam wouldn't show too badly (just cuz I'm too cheap to spent good money on real shell wrapping.. hell, for 14 bucks it's worth a try). Imagine twice that much blue sparkle on the second pic (which turned out brighter than it is because of the flash.. my shells look deep blue with just a hint of glitter in the right lighting).

Offline KTO

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:03 PM »
Excellent idea,

I tried out gold rainbow glitter tonight.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:50:53 PM by KTO »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »
I like the gold-ness, looks excellent!

Yesterday I was in the Walmart and passed the paint/wallpaper area I got my blue sparkle wall border and would ya know it, they were clearing it all out at 5 bucks a roll! Too good to pass up, I nabbed two blue and two pink/salmon kinda colour. If I don't use it on the drumset I may either use it in the music room area or maybe one of my girls will wanna use it in their room... but I had to grab it, I just like the glitter, reminds me of my first bicycle back in the 60's hahaha

Offline Dobly

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 02:38:54 AM »
The gold looks great too.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »
How do you put it back together with the deeper shell? Do you need to add more foam to account for the added length of the shell?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »
I gave up for a while on lengthening my shells. I was at the craft store and found their wood needle point hoops, they were only maybe an inch high plus they had a huge block added where it tightened the ends together. Then I found these styrofoam type discs they use for cake forms, I bought one to try, it fits nicely in the base of the pad but then I'd have had to stick the plastic rim that came with the drum on top and buy super long lugs.. it was just a lot more work that I'd thought it would take.

Decided I'll wait for the Strike, or perhaps one day try converting an acoustic kit

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
AlanK - I just got a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit (partial) (https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOjitzBaGzMWnHcqcsT9Js8od5HoX9gNpZHQSgA) that I will be building. Need to get some Meinl Custom Classics (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CCD460-18) to add to it. I also purchased a Taylor Hawkins 14*6.5 steel snare. Don't know if I will be converting it or not.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 11:05:12 AM »
Holy smokes those Meinls do look amazing! The Gretch photo link didn't work for me but I've seen the Catalina. Wow, that'll be a great project. My wife and I are starting to search for a larger house for the six of us, fingers crossed that we get a place with a big enough basement to let me enhance the music space.. of course the kids are whining that they want their own rooms, that if there's one in the basement they'll fight for it.. I'm telling them if there's a spare room in the basement it'll be for the drums and jamming thank you very much, unless they want to split the mortgage, hahaha

If this works out, mid-fall I hope to have a larger area for the music room and then will start considering an acoustic set to make more noise with the buddies.. been thinking of the possibility of those heads you drop ontop of the standard skins.. hmmm, ideas

Offline Dobly

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 06:01:19 PM »
How do you put it back together with the deeper shell? Do you need to add more foam to account for the added length of the shell?

I left the plates down where they are. flipped them over and made some cones to give that a try (as I now had plenty of space to try that) .They work pretty good except for the hotspots.

I'll be going back to foam very soon. I'm sure I'll need to add more.