Author Topic: Felt Beater on Mesh?!?!? *Alesis crimson 2 kit*  (Read 4815 times)

Felt Beater on Mesh?!?!? *Alesis crimson 2 kit*
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:18:08 AM »
Look the picture, Should really the bass drum arm be turned with the hard against the mesh skin?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:52:50 AM by Hellfire »

Offline korakios

Re: Alesis crimson 2 kit .
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:29:19 AM »
Yes  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:57:18 AM »
On my alesis 10 dm pro kit, it´s like wise :-\
Why the hard end?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
Why the hard end?

First off, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question (which is a good one BTW), a felt beater on mesh is like sandpaper on wood. The felt beater induces too much friction on the mesh head and will burn a hole in the mesh. That is why mesh bass pads should only use the non felt side of a beater.

Unfortunately, most people don't ever ask why and their solution is to add a bass drum patch on the mesh and then complain that the kick pad is too loud. All because they think you must use the felt side of the beater.

Again, welcome to the forum.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
Thank you!!!!

Online Hellfire

Re: Felt Beater on Mesh?!?!? *Alesis crimson 2 kit*
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:54:29 AM »
Thank you!!!!

BTW, I decided to changed the title of your topic so other people will know it is more about felt beaters on mesh than it is the Crimson 2.

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
Why the hard end?

Unfortunately, most people don't ever ask why and their solution is to add a bass drum patch on the mesh and then complain that the kick pad is too loud. All because they think you must use the felt side of the beater.

Oh this caught my attention. First I didn't know you could add a patch to mesh and second I tend to complain the kick is never loud enough. Is this a mesh specific patch?

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »
When he's saying "too loud", he means the actual noise from the beater hitting the pad, not the triggered sample.

Pintech makes a pad specifically for mesh heads, one for bass (thicker) and one for other pads.

Turning up the sensitivity can make your bass hits louder at lower volumes, remaining consistent volume even as it's played harder. But if your bass drum is just too quiet compared to everything else, try turning up the level of the bass drum sample and/or adding a second voice to Layer B of the instrument. If it's still too quiet, try turning down the levels of everything else.

My sound guy had me tweak my individual sliders consistently the same way each gig, so I eventually adjusted the levels to a point where I could pretty much leave my sliders alone. But that all changes as soon as I change the voice of an instrument, as they each have their own default settings for all of that.  So I've just recently gone back to just adjusting my sliders for the sound guy. It's simple enough and I really have it down for what he wants.

So for this method, I begin with Bank A and set all of my sliders (DM10) to half volume. Then I turn up the toms, snare and bass to the levels I normally set those at, which isn't full volume - I always leave some room in case he wants something boosted.

This doesn't automatically change the levels of Bank B, but since the sliders are set, all I need to do is wiggle them a little, one at a time. With the other levels set, I can use those to know where to end with the wiggle.  Kinda cool how we can set the volume for the bell of the ride separately from the sound of the cymbal itself!

Anyway, after layering two voices into my bass drum, he doesn't want that as high as it used to be. It thunders.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
Why the hard end?

Oh this caught my attention. First I didn't know you could add a patch to mesh and second I tend to complain the kick is never loud enough. Is this a mesh specific patch?

I have an update to this. I swapped out the mesh head for one that did not have the protective strip (patch) plus I switched out the beater head to a KAT Silent Stroke. Now I hear the bass super clearly and I didn't realize how much the plastic beater against the strip (patch) was degrading the overall clarity of sound.

Once I get the proper mesh head tension that provides the best feel for the KAT beater head I'll post a full review but so far I am loving it.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 04:02:37 PM »
why do they even have felt on the beater then?

Online AlanK

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 01:04:06 PM »
why do they even have felt on the beater then?

for non-mesh heads.. standard acoustic kick drums.. many people prefer felt to help mute it slightly (or it just feels good?)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers