Author Topic: Strike kit: All cymbal edge hits register as bow hits  (Read 2600 times)

Strike kit: All cymbal edge hits register as bow hits
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
Hello everyone, My 1st strike kit would not trigger edge hits on any of the cymbals. So I just received an entire new kit from the shop... And the cymbals do the same on the 2nd kit! Can someone confirm the bow and edge hits on a cymbal should show up separately on the module. See video... Edge and bow both register as bow on the module ???? This affects hihat and ride too.

https://youtu.be/EDYU82harCg

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:04:15 PM by dino_jr »

Re: Strike kit: All cymbal edge hits register as bow hits
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
2nd video of the same issue:

https://youtu.be/aGTPOzrJMxc

* I chose a random drum to trigger ( one of the toms)
* I push “Note chase”
* I hit edge of cymbal
* Module then says Cymbal Bow (not edge!)

Any ideas anybody? Thanks.
FYI I have v1.3 firmware installed...

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
Hello again, can anyone with a Strike kit, tell me what part of their module lights up when they strike the edge of any cymbal? I need to decide if this drum kit must go back to the store or they are actually behaving correct? Thanks.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »
Hello everyone, My 1st strike kit would not trigger edge hits on any of the cymbals. So I just received an entire new kit from the shop... And the cymbals do the same on the 2nd kit! Can someone confirm the bow and edge hits on a cymbal should show up separately on the module. See video... Edge and bow both register as bow on the module ???? This affects hihat and ride too.

https://youtu.be/EDYU82harCg
Your impatient..this is a forum not social media 3 posts in 3 hours for the same problem isn't going to get a faster answer..

The STRIKE kits don't just work straight out of the box (contrary to ALesis"Optimzed") and I have never heard of all edges on every input not working.Most of the problems are incorrect settings I don't have the Strike cymbals..I am using my own builds..the 6 sec video doesn't give me much information other than the sensitivity is high and you don't have to hit very hard to get the bow to work...most complaints I have heard/read on STRIKE cymbals is you have to really hit the edge hard..tapping it doesn't do much..

If you want to check functionality of the edge..

select a kit... 001 Rockn'kit..it has a pretty loud crash

select Crash 1
under Trigger..check setting is it piezo or switch..edge is normally switch
press [Voice] select Crash 1 Bow..set the level to  0FF

Under [Voice]..select Crash 1 edge..(make sure a voice is assigned to it)...set the level to 99
press [Velocity]..set to it to 0

The Bow should now be off...and the edge is isolated...strike the edge..do you see it light up on the module or hear anything at all...
Isolate/Test each cymbal and if they all fail ..then it's probably the module
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:47:34 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 02:37:23 AM »
Apologies for the multiple updates, I was trying to understand the issue and call the store before they closed yesterday (I am in the UK).
But Thanks Chaser, I'll try that tonight, "isolating" the edges should of course answer my question!  :)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
Apologies for the multiple updates, I was trying to understand the issue and call the store before they closed yesterday (I am in the UK).
But Thanks Chaser, I'll try that tonight, "isolating" the edges should of course answer my question!  :)

No worries..there are a lot of helpful people hear that will jump in and answer questions..consider the time difference also..for example..I am in So Cali. Recently more and more STRIKE owners are signing up as more kits are being sold.
As I mentioned above I don't have the complete STRIKE kit just the module and the Hi hat. The cymbal edge problem seems common
especially on the hi hat.I have also seen complaints of cymbals acting in the opposite..strike the bow edge works..strike the edge bow works..
while in other forums there are reports the STRIKE cymbals work great in other modules
I had to really "whack" mine to get it to show up/function and spend time tweaking.I have been testing other models of cymbals including custom builds and they all react differently to settings.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
Hi Chaser, was interested on how you got just the module and hi-hat.. didn't think they were selling parts separate so early on.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
Hi Chaser, was interested on how you got just the module and hi-hat.. didn't think they were selling parts separate so early on.

Hey AlanK !..
I have a private website for bartering/purchasing store inventories/Bank liquidations manifested truckloads etc mainly in Harley Davidson/computers and Music Gear so I come across everything..sometimes new/refurbished or in bulk.Inventories roll in daily.
I also buy/sell on Reverb..mostly buy
If you are not familiar with Reverb (formerly Chicago Music Exchange) , it is a marketplace for Music Stores , performing musicians etc that fired up around 2013 as an alternative to eBay..accept more forms of payment and charge less Final Value fees to sellers..it is strictly Music/gear related,grants for musicians,a lot of vintage gear and recently a Record (LP) Marketplace.
As far as STRIKE Kits some stores recently have been breaking up kits to sell or bands,drummers purchase a kit and sell off what they don't want/need.....most of the modules I see go through haven't been registered, store demos or NIB..so you get full warranty when you do...the modules start off at a high price as there isn't a guide to value, but I have seen them drop way down.Kit pieces the same way..depends on who is selling individual or Store..stores usually discount until it's gone

If you are interested there are a couple STRIKE modules on there now and a few STRIKE kits being parted out..the kit pieces don't last long usually since the "Expansion packs " are not available in the US..average sold prices..Cymbals 100-150,Toms 75-100..Kick 100-150 etc..modules 750.00
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Alesis%20Strike

The module is now available separate in Europe etc ..just not in the US

https://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_strike_performance_drum_module.htm

https://www.drum-tec.com/Alesis-Strike-Performance-Drum-Module

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:35:20 PM by Chaser »